Which are the richest and poorest ACC football programs?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
What follows is a list of the poorest and richest football programs in the ACC, as defined by the gross revenue figure reported on the most recent Equity in Athletics Data Analysis. This covers the 2017-18 fiscal year, or, the 2017 college football season.

4. GEORGIA TECH - $52.1M
Georgia Tech has an advantageous location and is hitting the reset button under new Geoff Collins in 2019.

It cleared a huge $27 million in profit after expenses in 2017, coming off a 9-4 season in 2016.

GT brought in $46.3 million in gross revenue in 2016, making it one of the biggest leaps year-over-year on the list.

This can likely be partially explained by Georgia Tech and UCF canceling a game in Orlando because of Hurricane Irma and by the money from a neutral-site game against Tennessee at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

Link: https://expo.syracuse.com/sports/g6...chest-and-poorest-acc-football-programs-.html

herb

Helluva Engineer
According to the figures:

Florida State spent 57.5 million
Notre Dame spent 52.8 million
Clemson spent 46.3 million
Miami spent 37.3 million
Virginia Tech spent 27.9 million
Louisville spent 26.9 million
Georgia Tech spent 25.1 (a pretty significant increase over the last reported figure which I think was around 17.5 million)
Boston College spent 23.5 million
Virginia spent 22.5 million

You couldn’t figure the rest out from the figures. Still toward the bottom but at least not second to last anymore.

But don’t go crying poor when you clear 27 million in profit

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
But don’t go crying poor when you clear 27 million in profit

All that profit makes little difference when you factor in the debt, which this report did not do. All our profit is going to the massive debt load we are carrying.

METHODOLOGY
Schools can use different methods of accounting and interpret instructions on the EADA form differently, but the following data is regarded as a fair snapshot of the financial picture at these schools, many of which are private and are rarely required to disclose such figures. According to the EADA guidebook, revenue is defined as revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, an athletic conference, tournament or bowl games, concessions, contributions from alumni and others, institutional support, program advertising and sales, radio and television, royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sports camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.Include:

• Revenues derived from fund-raising activities. Actual amounts earned or received, not pledged, budgeted, or estimated amounts.
  • Athletics aid awarded to non-athletes (student-managers, graduate assistants, trainers) who serve a specific team. Prorate these expenses by team if the individual serves more than one team. If the individual serves all teams, please put the athletics aid in the Not Allocated field.
Do not include:
  • Capital assets and related debts (money specifically identified to pay for capital assets). Money for indirect facilities

Milwaukee

Banned
All that profit makes little difference when you factor in the debt, which this report did not do. All our profit is going to the massive debt load we are carrying.

METHODOLOGY
Schools can use different methods of accounting and interpret instructions on the EADA form differently, but the following data is regarded as a fair snapshot of the financial picture at these schools, many of which are private and are rarely required to disclose such figures. According to the EADA guidebook, revenue is defined as revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, an athletic conference, tournament or bowl games, concessions, contributions from alumni and others, institutional support, program advertising and sales, radio and television, royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sports camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.Include:

• Revenues derived from fund-raising activities. Actual amounts earned or received, not pledged, budgeted, or estimated amounts.
  • Athletics aid awarded to non-athletes (student-managers, graduate assistants, trainers) who serve a specific team. Prorate these expenses by team if the individual serves more than one team. If the individual serves all teams, please put the athletics aid in the Not Allocated field.
Do not include:
  • Capital assets and related debts (money specifically identified to pay for capital assets). Money for indirect facilities

Okay? So take into account the debt, and still look at the article/data there.

Still a good thing right?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
That was 2017.....how much did Tech get for the CFA? Schools split TV and bowl game revenue. What other source of revenue for football is there besides ticket and associated sales ?
giphy.gif

Techster

Helluva Engineer
One of the interesting things is if you substituted last year's revenue for this year's, GT would still come in #6.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Okay? So take into account the debt, and still look at the article/data there.

Still a good thing right?

Yes and no. That's simply a statement of who makes the most money. We make a good bit, but our debt is so high ALL of our profit is sunk into it.

It's a good thing WHEN we erase our debts and can pour that money into upgrades.

As always, there are two sides of the coin. Some people will point to this and say that we were just making excuses. Others will see the debt and understand the reason why, even with these profits, we were 61st out of 65 in P5 football spending.

Once we clear some debt, we're going to be in a great position.

Milwaukee

Banned
Yes and no. That's simply a statement of who makes the most money. We make a good bit, but our debt is so high ALL of our profit is sunk into it.

It's a good thing WHEN we erase our debts and can pour that money into upgrades.

As always, there are two sides of the coin. Some people will point to this and say that we were just making excuses. Others will see the debt and understand the reason why, even with these profits, we were 61st out of 65 in P5 football spending.

Once we clear some debt, we're going to be in a great position.

I'm trying not to laugh, I swear. You should've ended your post with Yes.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I'm trying not to laugh, I swear. You should've ended your post with Yes.

But that's not a realistic view. You can make all the money you want, but when you're almost $220,000,000.00 in debt, it doesn't matter. If we made that kind of unfettered profit, then why did TStan have to dip into the contingency fund to hire new staff? I've been saying for years that money is the biggest hindrance we have, and when people see $27 million in profit without seeing the rest of the story, then it creates an idea that we have the money to do whatever we want. That's not the current case at GT.

Milwaukee

Banned
But that's not a realistic view. You can make all the money you want, but when you're almost $220,000,000.00 in debt, it doesn't matter.

Dude, stop. Read what you're saying. We should dismantle the athletics department then huh. Also for any poster here who doesn't have their house paid off they should probably burn that down as well. I mean, if you owe on it and you're making money and paying it down then it simply doesn't matter according to Augusta.

It's okay to acknowledge the debt and look at the positive numbers in that article at the same time.

Not going to respond to you again on this matter because I like you and don't want to argue further tonight :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Dude, stop. Read what you're saying. We should dismantle the athletics department then huh. Also for any poster here who doesn't have their house paid off they should probably burn that down as well. I mean, if you owe on it and you're making money and paying it down then it simply doesn't matter according to Augusta.

It's okay to acknowledge the debt and look at the positive numbers in that article at the same time.

Not going to respond to you again on this matter because I like you and don't want to argue further tonight :)

No. What I am saying is that while the fact that we made a big profit is good, it is tempered by the fact that we are in massive debt. I want GT to be in a position to throw stupid cash at CGC and his staff.

To use your house analogy, that's like telling a person making $100k a year that he should be able to afford a house that cost $1.2 million. That's not sound financially.

In reality, I think you and I probably agree more on this than we disagree.