Where we might lose Coach Collins.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Collins is here for the long term. His wife wanted to get back here. He wants to raise his daughter around family. He’s a GT guy from adolescence. I believe GT finally found THAT guy we’ve all wanted here since Dodd who can become synonymous with the school. We’ve had some great coaches in the past but they all left for greener pastures. I believe GT finally has our guy. And no, the previous two seasons mean nothing record wise.
Maybe but if I made $2.5 million and was offered $5 or $6 million a year it would be hard to turn down. And as far as wanting to raise his daughter around her family he could fly them in every weekend or buy them a house. And think about this do you really think CBK doesn't want the job? I do think we will start winning this year and money does talk.
There are 25 states that have a Waffle House

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Maybe but if I made $2.5 million and was offered $5 or $6 million a year it would be hard to turn down. And as far as wanting to raise his daughter around her family he could fly them in every weekend or buy them a house. And think about this do you really think CBK doesn't want the job? I do think we will start winning this year and money does talk.
There are 25 states that have a Waffle House
That is an important consideration from Coach Collins standpoint...the Waffle House I mean.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The vast majority of people, including me, would drop everything if enough money was waved in our faces. I am not convinced just yet that Coach Collins is of that mindset. He strikes me as having a very different outlook than most people. This may very well be his "dream job" or his "destination job" if so, he would be stamped as a different sort of dude all the way around which may be how he likes it. Win a few more ball games and we will see how he jumps.
I understand, but I think the general thought process of people always going after more money is false. TV pushes that thought process but I don’t see it all. Most of my friends and family have absolutely passed up higher paying jobs due to locality, family, or they enjoy their job and are very comfortable. In my career I could easily take a promotion for more money to a NYC, Boston, or several other large urban areas, but why? I have family, money, retirement covered, and enjoy my lifestyle in south Georgia. I bet most of you have also passed up more money or more career for one reason or another. For every mercenary like Urban Meyer there is a Cutcliffe. But the press doesn’t cover those stories.

Collins has made millions and his family is set financially. I know it sounds corny but his story at this point with financial security covered is now “local boy getting hired by local team”. As I’ve said before, I’m rooting for him big time, but if he isn’t the answer there is a line a mile long of retreads we can hire who will jump ship once they have some success.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
If I didn't know better I would think Collins a coaching superstar and the truth is we still don't know if he can coach a lick. We know or think we know he can recruit. We don't know if he can coach 'em up. (ACC rosters are full of 5-stars who spend their college careers playing as 3-stars.) As for the NFL? Put down that koolaid.
This was leas about being a head coach and more about the things we have already seen him performing well at.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
This was leas about being a head coach and more about the things we have already seen him performing well at.
I think that business in the NFL is much more boring than you seem to think. NFL GMs are not about "recruiting" players and motivating fans. They are about player contracts, coaching contracts, etc. Al Davis maybe would have hired someone who was a public facing marketing person, but I think most NFL owners want someone who concentrates more on contract language and dollars as a GM.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You guys are nuts if you think in a few years some huge program throws a Sarkisian like offer at Collins and he doesn't bite on it. Frankly, we are in a good place if that happens so I wouldn't be too beat up about it.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
You guys are nuts if you think in a few years some huge program throws a Sarkisian like offer at Collins and he doesn't bite on it. Frankly, we are in a good place if that happens so I wouldn't be too beat up about it.
Yep. He’s won six games. If in 5 years someone is throwing fat cash at him that will be good for us. It’s very hard to see that point from here at this point so its all beyond speculative. Hope it’s a problem for us.....

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I understand, but I think the general thought process of people always going after more money is false. TV pushes that thought process but I don’t see it all. Most of my friends and family have absolutely passed up higher paying jobs due to locality, family, or they enjoy their job and are very comfortable. In my career I could easily take a promotion for more money to a NYC, Boston, or several other large urban areas, but why? I have family, money, retirement covered, and enjoy my lifestyle in south Georgia. I bet most of you have also passed up more money or more career for one reason or another. For every mercenary like Urban Meyer there is a Cutcliffe. But the press doesn’t cover those stories.

Collins has made millions and his family is set financially. I know it sounds corny but his story at this point with financial security covered is now “local boy getting hired by local team”. As I’ve said before, I’m rooting for him big time, but if he isn’t the answer there is a line a mile long of retreads we can hire who will jump ship once they have some success.
Soon after my father graduated from Tech in 1950 with a degree in Textile Engineering, he became a plant manager for Piedmont Mills near Rockmart, Georgia. I was born in Rome, Ga a couple of years later and Dad was offered a job with a company in New York City as some kind of consulting engineer of sorts. He flew up to NYC and was wined and dined so to speak but declined the offer although it would have been more than double what he was making. He never told me exactly why but I don't think it was the money.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Collins is here for the long term. His wife wanted to get back here. He wants to raise his daughter around family. He’s a GT guy from adolescence. I believe GT finally found THAT guy we’ve all wanted here since Dodd who can become synonymous with the school. We’ve had some great coaches in the past but they all left for greener pastures. I believe GT finally has our guy. And no, the previous two seasons mean nothing record wise.
Who knows? Geoff could have said he was there for the long-term at Alabama, MS State, Florida, and Temple.

Personally, I don't think he will make it to 7 years. Not for any mysterious reason, but the first person to take on a major challenge is not usually the one who survives long-term. Nobody wanted the Alabama job after Bear Bryant but Ray Perkins left the Giants and reduced himself to anonymity in the process. Geoff will make millions transitioning from the TO and I think that is why he was hired.

I think if CBK is here in a few years, he'll be the HC. Just my opinion and not any dig at Geoff. I've just seen this pattern a few hundred times.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I sat in the stands the last two seasons. Those records mean something to me. I don't live in the ATL. Don't live close. In fact, it's me getting maybe 3-4 hours sleep and driving a handful of hours to get to HGF/BDS to see games, especially noon kicks. So yeah, I count the previous two seasons.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
"If he managed to get us to a 10 win team by year 4 (the optimistic view would be 10-4 or 12-2 with a loss or 2 in the regular season and a acc championship loss to a clemson or so but eh you get the point) That would show that as a rebuilder with a penchant for building in free agency and an eye for talent."
Hmmmmm. Let's get to a 4 win plateau first, shall we? No reason to get ahead of ourselves.

Btw, all this "He's at Tech for good!" stuff is not realistic. If he starts winning big and gets a better offer, he'd go somewhere else. It's a job, not a calling. Or he could get his walking papers next year.

But, like I just said, let's see if we can start to win next year first.

CheCha54

Georgia Tech Fan
We give Collins credit for the marketing, good or bad. I'm not sure he is responsible for the plan. We have a "Brand and Ideation" department that appears to report to Stansbury. It would still be Collin's that would have to support the plan.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
We give Collins credit for the marketing, good or bad. I'm not sure he is responsible for the plan. We have a "Brand and Ideation" department that appears to report to Stansbury. It would still be Collin's that would have to support the plan.
No, I think you have to give credit where credit is due. Collins has a HUGE hand in the marketing and brand development of the football team

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
In the Spring of 2019, after Collins was hired, I was lucky enough to attend an IFC meeting with my fraternity’s president held in the Team Meeting Room, hosted by CGC and the new staff. A lot of things were said, really focused on trying to get Greek life / students excited for the new staff, but two things stuck out to me which, today, are still the biggest reasons I have zero doubts about Collins as a HC (assuming we can spend big on coordinators if we don’t start winning games this season).

The first thing he said repeatedly was that this was a destination job for him. He grew up around GT, had some of his earliest jobs as a coach/assistant at GT, and loves Georgia Tech as much as we do. This isn’t a stepping stone to something bigger, this is his something bigger (and that’s paraphrasing what he said in the room).

Many of you will probably see the next comment that stuck out to me as fluff or empty promise, because as of right now it seems ridiculous, but he said there would be a ESPN 30 for 30 documentary on just how incredible this transition was going to be (in the next decade). I think that’s definitely hyperbole, but bottom line, you don’t make a comment like that planning to move on from what you built, at least not for a while. I think it’s more likely GCG succeeds than fails, but if GCG leaves GT, I think it’s more likely that he leaves because he failed rather than because of a new opportunity from his success.
I flat out guarantee damn tee you if he gets an offer, he is gone. The only coach I am aware of who has made a job his destination job is Cutcliffe at Duke. You will never go wrong in ignoring coaches and their pronouncements. But your 30 for 30 skepticism is well-placed, as Collins simply cannot speak in simple declaratives and let the on-field perfomance speak for itself. It is an age-old axiom to allow others to blow your horn,.

I flat out guarantee damn tee you if he gets an offer, he is gone. The only coach I am aware of who has made a job his destination job is Cutcliffe at Duke. You will never go wrong in ignoring coaches and their pronouncements. But your 30 for 30 skepticism is well-placed, as Collins simply cannot speak in simple declaratives and let the on-field perfomance speak for itself. It is an age-old axiom to allow others to blow your horn,.
Um I think I would add CPJ to the list of destination jobs. He received offers while at Tech and turned them down. CPJ loves Atlanta and Tech. He is a huge Basketball fan.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer

Bill Curry says Hi. He wanted a chance at a national championship. Guess he didn't see that happening at his hometown school at which he was an all American. He never was that good a coach anyway. We should have hired George Welsh. He did have some good assistants.