Where the haters?

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
I was down on the play calling and clock management. The latter wasn’t a factor Last night. The former I still have gripes, but Sims seems capable of making something of it if the play turns to crap. But two 1st and goals to settle for field goals is aggravating.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
I was down on the play calling and clock management. The latter wasn’t a factor Last night. The former I still have gripes, but Sims seems capable of making something of it if the play turns to crap. But two 1st and goals to settle for field goals is aggravating.
After we put sims in the issues within the 10 yard line disappeared. Yates limited in short field or purposefully bad play calling. Yates did what he had to do and did it great, but Sims beat him out 2 years in a row for a reason. Had he started, were up 59 to whatever.

This is not a knock on Yates as a man. He put this team on his shoulders for 2.5 games and did an amazing job. Sims is the starter for a reason though.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I can’t stand Collins. As someone on The Hive put it, he’s a greasy used car salesman who has clearly been in over his head in a variety of ways. Repeats stupid coach speech and doesn’t answer any difficult questions.

Having said that, it was great to be at a game and actually dominate a good team. We just whipped them despite several horrible calls against us that could’ve turned the momentum the other way. It’s been several years since I had that much fun at a Tech football game.

His record is still horrible and he has several monumental losses. Hopefully this is the beginning of good things and there aren’t losses to teams we should beat down the road. Let’s hope this is the start of good things to come.

Can’t imagine I’ll ever be a Collins “guy.” Just too out there for me, but happy to support a team that plays hard and smart and competes.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I can’t stand Collins. As someone on The Hive put it, he’s a greasy used car salesman who has clearly been in over his head in a variety of ways. Repeats stupid coach speech and doesn’t answer any difficult questions.

Having said that, it was great to be at a game and actually dominate a good team. We just whipped them despite several horrible calls against us that could’ve turned the momentum the other way. It’s been several years since I had that much fun at a Tech football game.

His record is still horrible and he has several monumental losses. Hopefully this is the beginning of good things and there aren’t losses to teams we should beat down the road. Let’s hope this is the start of good things to come.

Can’t imagine I’ll ever be a Collins “guy.” Just too out there for me, but happy to support a team that plays hard and smart and competes.

fair enough. Say he gets us to the 7-8 game consistent win level with the occasional one off 10-11 win season and without the occasional one off 3 win season. Would you be okay with that? I guess I am asking how important is LIKING the coach to you (and others)?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I just think it's funny to see how much this team has improved over last year and even the first game, then go back and read through these threads from the summer w all the assumption there would be no improvement and we would remain the same team we were last year.

Given the rebuilding dynamics plus the youth of the team, in retrospect, those posters look silly. I thought yall were intelligent engineers? Bc reading through your GT football opinions over the past weeks, months and years says the opposite. Atleast the intelligent part.

Collins is going to do some amazing things GT. Holy hell am I going to enjoy watching the Collins haters try to rationalize it.
If you would’ve posted this victory lap nonsense after last week’s close loss, it would’ve looked silly. One win later, it still looks silly.

Last night was a great win but CGC still only has 8 wins (30.77% winning %). There’s a lot to be proud of though and I sincerely hope that we have turned the corner. Sims looked better than I’ve ever seen, special teams was much improved, and the defense was on fire. Let’s keep it going but one solid game is not an indicator of future results.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer

I will never be a fan of Collins' schtick either. But, if we play hard-nosed, smart football, and we don't keep having questionable gameday decisions and clock management going forward, I will be his biggest supporter. I have never seen tremendous success from a "rah,rah" guy like him, except maybe Dabo, but even Dabo has grown and as you state, answers questions more directly. I hope Collins will continue to grow into the job, and in the future, we might see a little less rah,rah Geoff and a little more hard-nosed, get in a player's face Geoff when it is necessary. Last night, the guys really did not have any major brain farts, and for that, I MUST give credit to the coaches. I will definitely give them the blame if our kids act the wrong way.

Lastly, I am genuinely hoping this win (and another great win over Pitt next week) will put a huge SPARK in our recruiting. It would be great to sneak into the top 20 in that regard, and it would be a huge coup to make it happen.

Last edited:

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
fair enough. Say he gets us to the 7-8 game consistent win level with the occasional one off 10-11 win season and without the occasional one off 3 win season. Would you be okay with that? I guess I am asking how important is LIKING the coach to you (and others)?

Yes. I want the program to be successful. I just don’t like Collins. And that’s fine. Just win baby.

But it’s one game, so let’s see if it’s the start of something or an aberration. Hopefully the former.

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer

Your allowed that opinion. That’s your right as a an American and a Tech fan.

He did look silly a couple of times on the sideline and at half jumping up and down heading to the lockeroom but it is hard to hate his enthusiasm and actual love he has for his players.

Hopefully his team continues what we’ve been doing for the past serval games and helps change the minds of fans such as yourself.

Go Jackets!

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I also have to eat crow but would like a steak better. I was all over Thacker but that was a great defensive game which I can't remember the last time I saw a Tech great defensive game. The one thing I didn't do was pick a QB ( glad I didn't ) both are Tech players and I have a feeling that we will need both the rest of the game. Now how do I feel about the rest of the year, after yesterday any time can happen , we just need to take in one game at a time
( but remember one thing ALL OF US LIVE AND DIE WITH TECH and loses hurt and you say things you may not mean 5 minutes after you say them)
maybe, but 80 pages of it tends to mean that those people believed it then, and likely still do.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck
I am in agreement with this 100%. I have seen this with the last 2 coaches....where the discussion becomes a wearisome back and forth over who is right. I am sure that 95% of the people who read this board, whether they post or not (you would be surprised at how many don't) do not enjoy it.

It is early in this regime. Can we stop this.???? I don't want each single game to be a referendum on the coach and/or the opportunity for people coming out of the woodwork thumping their chest on how they were wrong and how the other camp was right. Until the very next game, when the outcome is different and here comes the other party. Rinse. lather. repeat. I am certain that others feel the same way as we do @85Escape.

Whatever your opinion of this coach is, isn't enough for you to simply have it and NOT evangelize on this board?????

Agree, and while we're at it, maybe we can stop the "paul woulda done this, bohannon would do that" garbage. Paul is gone, Bohannon ain't coming. For the time being, this group is who we have.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow
Collin’s “schtick” is going to net us the best recruiting in GT history, especially if he can keep winning games like this one the sky is the limit
Same.

I don’t care what his “schtick” is if he wins. Such things are what young men react to, and what is cringy to us now may have been attractive at 18yo.

As for constantly bringing up a sub par win %, I don’t know how one can seriously include the last two years. Those were always going to be crap years the very moment CPJ accepted the job offer, no matter who the successor turned out to be.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
he’s a greasy used car salesman who has clearly been in over his head in a variety of ways.
The players say he's genuine and the culture is the real deal. I do agree he's been over his head in some ways. To his credit he does seem capable of fixing things/learning (e.g. reduced penalties this year).

Hopefully he learns to be more direct in his press conferences and less defensive/gets a thicker skin. As far as goofiness he is who he is. It's not my style but the players and recruits like him. Yes he is selling but I think he genuinely believes in what he is selling and that it's good for the kids.

I personally am willing to be patient and give him a chance even if he's not my cup of tea.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think he's been in over his head. I think he's done a hell of a job putting talent into this program all while dealing with the Triple Option conversion, Covid, and being in a state where it's 99% UGA. He's definitely a salesman but I don't think he's greasy. I think he means every word he says about Georgia Tech and the players. And yes, it may be over the top at times but I don't think he's fake or greasy at all.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I think on the poll that went up after the NIU loss about what we needed to do to be given hope I said for me , if the rest of the season proved the NIU game was an Anomaly I could easily forgive that loss, so far that’s proving to be the case. Would have been great if we could have sealed the deal on Clemson but aside from UGA there’s not another game that I think we have less than a 50% chance to win. Regardless of the outcome of the Wisconsin game I still don’t think ND is good. They’re reliving their 2012 run to the BCS title game where they won every game by like a TD or less and then got curb stomped by bama and finally exposed. Everyone else on our schedule has their flaws.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
The coach only looks like an imbecile if we’re losing 7 looking bad doing it. Up until the last 2 games out of 24 total, Collins has had 2 games where he looked like he could run a P5 program (FSU, Looie). All I wanted is some hope we could go back to the day where GT was a threat to beat you every week, not favored but mostly overlooked and potentially dangerous every week. Looks like we’re there.

I hope I’m not going to regret that last sentence.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Were you at the game? It seems that the people there thought it was much worse than it was. Most balls besides the targeting that was reversed seemed about right. I will go back and watch but it wasn’t too lopsided IMO
The reviewed calls were pretty good except for the launching no-call. However there were several, nay, many really bad no-calls and potentially game-changing blown calls that went against GT. Way more so than could be complained about by UNC fans.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

These are my sentiments exactly.