Where does this year's coaching by Pastner rank in GT history?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It's like some of you saw that GT was playing in the tournament today, and went "Can't let Pastner get too much credit for this. Gotta go to gtswarm and stir some **** up"

Dude's a troll and is doing what he's done pretty much every time he has posted.

MtnWasp

Ramblin' Wreck
Pastner inherited a team that lost more than 75% of it's scoring, rebounding and minutes played. It's top returning scorer averaged 5ppg. The team was a unanimous selection for last place in the ACC and even optimistic Gt fans were predicting three conference wins. He took a Center that averaged 13 minutes per game, and implemented a Princeton offense around him to maximize his skills (which Gregory would NEVER had done), took a backcourt of Josh Heath and Corey Haywood, players that could not score AT ALL, and had a roster of only one 4 star recruit who, to that point, had not done much and became the 6th man (Tadric), and somehow managed to win 8 ACC games, won 21 games and went to the NIT championship game.

Even really good coaches and basketball people didn't see that coming. That is why Pastner was voted ACC coach of the year, not because he inherited a full cabinet from Gregory.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Coach Pastner has literally been thanking BG this past week.

BG was a nice guy who got our APR back on track and recruited a handful of players that we'll remember for a long time.

That's really it though. There ain't much to it & it's meh at best. The only reasons we'll remember BG's tenure is the fact he recruited MGH, lost Robert Carter (to bags), and rolled the dice poorly on Solomon Poole.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Pastner inherited a team that lost more than 75% of it's scoring, rebounding and minutes played. It's top returning scorer averaged 5ppg. The team was a unanimous selection for last place in the ACC and even optimistic Gt fans were predicting three conference wins. He took a Center that averaged 13 minutes per game, and implemented a Princeton offense around him to maximize his skills (which Gregory would NEVER had done), took a backcourt of Josh Heath and Corey Haywood, players that could not score AT ALL, and had a roster of only one 4 star recruit who, to that point, had not done much and became the 6th man (Tadric), and somehow managed to win 8 ACC games, won 21 games and went to the NIT championship game.

Even really good coaches and basketball people didn't see that coming. That is why Pastner was voted ACC coach of the year, not because he inherited a full cabinet from Gregory.
stop it. just stop using facts. drives me crazy how you come on here and share honest, logical, insightful, data-based analysis.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
Coach Pastner has literally been thanking BG this past week.

BG was a nice guy who got our APR back on track and recruited a handful of players that we'll remember for a long time.

That's really it though. There ain't much to it & it's meh at best. The only reasons we'll remember BG's tenure is the fact he recruited MGH, lost Robert Carter (to bags), and rolled the dice poorly on Solomon Poole.
i remember him for running a 1990s BIGwhatever offense in the ACC in the 2010s.
(but i do acknowledge that the APR stuff was a legit and important success.)

Deleted member 2897

So Josh Okogie, Ben Lammers, Tadric Jackson, Quinton Stephens, and Cory Hayward (all Gregory recruits) had nothing to do with Pastner winning ACC coach of the year.

This is a ****ing waste of time. Look at what scoring contribution those guys made prior to and after Pastner's arrival.

Ben Lammers
The Year Pre-Pastner: 3.6 ppg
1st year under Pastner: 14.2 ppg

Tadric Jackson
The Year Pre-Pastner: 4.7 ppg
1st year under Pastner: 12.1 ppg

Quinton Stephens
The Year Pre-Pastner: 5.0 ppg
1st year under Pastner: 10.4 ppg

Josh Okogie
The Year Pre-Pastner: 0.0 ppg (did not exist)
1st year under Pastner: 16.1 ppg

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
but i do acknowledge that the APR stuff was a legit and important success

The APR was already well on it's way to recovering by the time Hewitt left. The 07-08 year was the biggest hinderance to our APR rolling average, at 840. Our scores were always going to rebound once that stopped being counted.

gt24

Jolly Good Fellow
The APR was already well on it's way to recovering by the time Hewitt left. The 07-08 year was the biggest hinderance to our APR rolling average, at 840. Our scores were always going to rebound once that stopped being counted.
was this for me or for dtm who made the original comment that BG "got our APR back on track"?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
was this for me or for dtm who made the original comment that BG "got our APR back on track"?

I just happened to have read your comment about it so I responded. It was more just a general reminder that the APR is a rolling average.

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
I have nothing personal against Brian Gregory. The obvious reality was that his peak was reached in his final year with a senior laden team. That peak was the NIT after the annual quick exit from the ACCT. His teams never even played in an ACCT semifinal.

He'd be a really good lead assistant for a power conference team. He could concentrate on the one thing he can coach. Defense.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
The 1990 team barely lost to a Cheating school in the final 4. UNLV should have been vacated completely, and deserved the death penalty. Our team was so good, we could have approached the game like it was “first to 100” wins and smoked folks.

Considering all the crap this year, I have to give Coach a lot of credit, especially after the disaster start.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
The 1990 team barely lost to a Cheating school in the final 4. UNLV should have been vacated completely, and deserved the death penalty. Our team was so good, we could have approached the game like it was “first to 100” wins and smoked folks.

Considering all the crap this year, I have to give Coach a lot of credit, especially after the disaster start.
I still remember an article in one of the papers leading up the FF that listed the cars various players drove. The UNLV stars were in Escalades, Mercendes, etc. Tech's players were in normal college kid cars and kenny anderson with a bicycle.

I'm sure there was some under-the-table stuff going on with our recruiting, but UNLV was a different world entirely

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
It is really hard to compare Pastner to Bobby Cremins and Paul Hewitt. Both Cremins and Hewitt were great recruiters but were not great floor coaches. They had more success early in their careers at Tech, but less as they lost good assistants to other schools.

Josh Pastner’s teams have in general played much better than expectations and appear to be well coached by him and/or his assistants. If Pastner can improve his recruiting, keep good assistants, and keep unethical people away from his program, he will have a great career at Tech.