Where do we go from here?

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'd agree if the situation were any different. He'd be coming in to be the substitute teacher with every expectation that comes with that. IOW, who cares if he loses games. Due to the situation, there'd be no tarnishing of his rep. He'd basically be a caretaker and everyone knows it. If anything, his rep would be enhanced IMO.

You don't think the current players would benefit from having him even for a short time? Appointing some other random guy to finish out the season would injure the school imminently more.
That's the thing... You'd either elevate Dollar, since he's associate head coach or Herrion, since he's been a head coach.

I wish I knew the scoop, but someone posted somewhere (maybe on the Scout site) that Herrion was not BG's hire. By no means am I proposing Herrion be our next head coach, but if he wasn't handpicked by BG, then he was handpicked by MBob and he'd be the interim if it really came to it.

Who knows? All speculation on my part.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
That's the thing... You'd either elevate Dollar, since he's associate head coach or Herrion, since he's been a head coach.

I wish I knew the scoop, but someone posted somewhere (maybe on the Scout site) that Herrion was not BG's hire. By no means am I proposing Herrion be our next head coach, but if he wasn't handpicked by BG, then he was handpicked by MBob and he'd be the interim if it really came to it.

I find this very interesting. Coming from the corporate world, having a new hire added to your staff who had previously held your job is always a bit awkward. If the new hire came in without your consent, it is a shot across the bow. This makes me think Bobinski has already had the "come to Jesus" talk with BG. That explains the emotional outbursts I read about in the BC game. He, too, understands the game is nearly over. And, who would hire him now? He is not a competent recruiter, so his in-game or teaching skills are what he has to offer. Would you hire BG for either of those?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

If that happens I'll throw up on my keyboard. No one on the staff could say anything against being passed over by a retired Cremins. None of them can hold his clipboard and they oughta know it.

I do hear you though and agree that's the supposed progression if a change is made. Maybe I just don't want to see that happen when/if/when a change is made. Actually that is it. I don't want to see any of them leading GT even in an interim capacity.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Speculation is all we have at this time. Highly likely that CBG won't be on the GT bench next year. I'm losing my Pollyanna attitude/thoughts now. :(

Gibson

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't want to fire him mid season but I hope m-bob is talking to other coaches now (if it's legal) so that we can set something up asap after that coach gets done, so we can start recruiting. We need someone with some fire and some passion and we need someone that can recruit like Hewitt.

While m-bob won't fire someone mid season (which I agree CBG doesn't need to be), and won't talk to a coach mid season, M-bob can put feelers out through back channels. All AD's whether they admit or not, have a sheet of paper somewhere that has a list of names of coaches they'd want in their programs for sports. They can reach out to their agents and see if there is any mutual interest. It's all hush hush, back channels stuff....

Now will any of M-bob's first 5 candidates listen or show interest? Who know's...

In addition, M-bob has to get the $$$ to fire and get a budget of what the new hire will cost... my guess is ~2.5M for the new hire...

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@orientalnc - as mentioned, I think that's a speculative comment on my part based on something I thought I saw on another board. I'll put the grain of salt on it for you. I think BG could be a competent top assistant again or successful at a lower tier school. He really knows the game, he just lacks in-game management skills & high level recruiting ability. Can't seem to consistently pull the right levers, push the right buttons.

@kg01 - the other thing about Cremins is does he need the stress at this point? I know it's a romanticized vision to see him on the sideline again, but I just think it's unfair to so many parties.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@kg01 - the other thing about Cremins is does he need the stress at this point? I know it's a romanticized vision to see him on the sideline again, but I just think it's unfair to so many parties.

But that's the thing. I don't want to see him on the sidelines again. I'm not one of these guys that thinks he's still got it for the long haul. Trust me, I hear you. I'm just in the mode of wanting to see the current group gone.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CBC is not the answer. Plus he doesn't need the stress. He loves GT and knows that he won't put in all that needs to be done, even if for only 3 months.
Not fair to him, nor the players.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
OK, my uninformed and emotionally motivated opinion: Let's offer Mark Price a two month contract.

If he comes in and works with the current team with the current assistants. If he turns us around, great we discuss extending his stay. If not, he'll bring excitement to the team for two months.

OR, after the season is over, offer the job to Neal and let him Price figure out if they can work out an arrangement if they want to with Neal as the hired HC.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Does anyone think it would be interesting to see CBG bring on an assistant to run the Offense? I know it is a bit of a stopgap.. but I think CBG has the D doing good things, rebounding well, and seems to have the right mindset/persona to be the front man of the team - we just have to get some offense figured out.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Does anyone think it would be interesting to see CBG bring on an assistant to run the Offense? I know it is a bit of a stopgap.. but I think CBG has the D doing good things, rebounding well, and seems to have the right mindset/persona to be the front man of the team - we just have to get some offense figured out.
I think this would be interesting, but taking that a step further, why hasn't it already been done?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Nah, I think we're too far-gone for that now. If the rumor that the new assistant hire wasn't his choice is true, then it's likely what you propose has already happened anyway.

Being that he's in a hot-seat situation, bringing in another voice would probably just muddy the waters.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Nah, I think we're too far-gone for that now. If the rumor that the new assistant hire wasn't his choice is true, then it's likely what you propose has already happened anyway.

Being that he's in a hot-seat situation, bringing in another voice would probably just muddy the waters.
Agree completely.

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
Whether or not CBG should be around next year I still admire the way he is handling himself during the program's lack of results. He is not whining at fans, or complaining to the press or anything negative during adversity. Second, although it was not MBob's hire he still gave him a contract extension even though the program never made it to a postseason tourney. So, I doubt anything is happening this year and I doubt anything is going to change for next year.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whether or not CBG should be around next year I still admire the way he is handling himself during the program's lack of results. He is not whining at fans, or complaining to the press or anything negative during adversity. Second, although it was not MBob's hire he still gave him a contract extension even though the program never made it to a postseason tourney. So, I doubt anything is happening this year and I doubt anything is going to change for next year.

For the sake of my sanity I hope you're wrong.