Where are we now?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Fresh off the brand new hire of CGC, we are like the team running out on to the field in a big game, jumping around the sideline, smacking helmets, and generally getting each other excited to play. All that over-the-top energy, however, usually lasts about a series before you just settle down and play. It is then that everybody in attendance sees how well prepared you really are to take on the opponent.

Truthfully, it is kind of nice to see GT nation getting a little excited. It hasn't been that way, among the fanbase, or the media, in a little while. With, that said , I am a person who usually sets aside distractions and looks to fundamentals a little more quickly than most. Personally, I think CGC is in for a real challenge. There are some challenges/realities facing him and huge decisions, with lasting repercussions, looming in the near term.

Let's start with the decisions. The highest priority, without question, is finding the right OC and doing so quickly, so as to settle the immediate recruiting and player transfer dust ASAP. It cannot be overstated how important this hire will be for his and our success moving forward. Whether we have appreciated it or not, we have had a clear identity on the offensive side of the ball for a while now. We knew who we were and we were good at it. That new identity must be re-established pronto. I have heard "NFL style offense", but don't really know what that means. Clemson, for example, has had a lot of success putting offensive players in the NFL, but they haven't run an NFL offense per se. I hope what is really meant by the term is simply, running a style of offense that showcases skills that are coveted in the NFL. I would be fine with that, as I believe we could keep some of our core run game principles, whether under center or pistol, while incorporating more aerial components to what we do. We have smart kids. We should be able to master a myriad of different sets and looks within a very diverse attack. CGC, by reputation, is a defensive coach, which I welcome, because defense wins championships. That fact, however, makes this hire all the more important in my eyes. We need to improve on defense and ST without question, but if we stagnate on offense, this could be a painful process. I will take coach at his word that he intends to build an offense around what his players can do. Finding the right guy to do that, without a ton of direction from the HC is paramount. CGC will be putting his stamp on the defensive side of the ball. Together with HC duties and a brand new community to engage, that will be enough on his daily plate.

Now let's move on to the challenges. I really appreciate his reputation as a recruiter and the excitement building around this hire in that regard. I fully agree that ATL, and the state of GA, is a hot bed for talent. That has been the case for a couple of generations now though, and regardless of offensive style of play, we have struggled to land our share of the catch. Maybe, he truly does have some magic potion that will make recruits see the true value of the GT experience, relative to the rest of the southeastern CFB factories. I hope so, but a reasonable mind would conclude that without a massive shift in underlying fundamentals, we might make some headway, but this is most likely to continue to be an exhausting climb. It will be the defining test of our theories surrounding style of play and coach personalities etc. My sincere hope is that, with the CGC hire, the rest of the GT admin, combined with major donors etc, will reassess how we are supporting the recruitment efforts of our program. Hopefully his enthusiasm, charisma, and energy will embolden those in position to think big, expand our scope substantially, and contribute to the effort at another level.

By my estimation, CPJ was as good a game/clock manager, play caller, and scheme developer as has been seen in the history of the game. Those attributes will not be easily replaced. One of CGC's challenges will be to replicate a similar level of mastery within the construct of his system. Some acts are tougher to follow than others. In a perfect world, we won't ever come to realize how truly spoiled we have been. I've got some news. The world ain't perfect. Young head coaches are typically subject to a learning curve. We might want to temper our expectations and keep some patience as he grows into the role.

If these issues are not resolved to the positive, we may just find that we are merely a team jumping up and down on the sidelines before the helmets collide (Oops, sorry, that would be targeting. What I meant to say was before shoulders hit areas well below the necks). Time will tell. CGC said this was his dream job. Hopefully, we will all come to consider him our dream coach who accomplishes his vision and spends a couple decades here, retiring a legend.

Last edited:

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
GT is in a weird position with timing, I would assume. Geoff can't start hiring and firing coordinators that still have to coach the bowl game.

I think it will get real quiet till early January.

Agree?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. I hope so, but a reasonable mind would conclude that without a massive shift in underlying fundamentals, we might make some headway, but this is most likely to continue to be an exhausting climb. It will be the defining test of our theories surrounding style of play and coach personalities etc. My sincere hope is that, with the CGC hire, the rest of the GT admin, combined with major donors etc, will reassess how we are supporting the recruitment efforts of our program. Hopefully his enthusiasm, charisma, and energy will embolden those in position to think big, expand our scope substantially, and contribute to the effort at another level.

Pretty much this. I don't expect immediate dividends. I think I am hoping that CGC in conjunction with TS and Peterson align so that we can address the fundamental issues that have been outside the HC control for a long time. The change is not a panacea and I hope that nobody thinks that. It is going to take work...from the coach and his staff to the others I have mentioned. I think Paul may have been a victim of poor timing here at Tech and accomplished what he did through sheer effort and grit.

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC and ADTS are rebranding GT. It’s going to take some time. As much as I love CPJ and his whole demeanor. The challenges GT faces require selling the program more publicly. Look at what Dabo did with Clemson. People when he first got hired called him a used car salesmen but he. Built that program up to now they are the king of the ACC. My hopes are that whatever the staff looks like will be able to make inroads with the elite talent. There is absolutely no reason why we can’t recruit at a higher level. CPJ could get the most out of his players. The narrative about our offense is going to change and we will be more attractive to top talent. CGC will be selling GT. I’m excited for where to see where it goes from here. Will be sad to see CPJ go but I know he did his best for the program and I will forever be thankful for him.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am excited and hopeful that we can use this change in philosophy to truly become a regular player on the national scene. I am also excited, because having CGC here may go a long way toward answering some questions we have had for a long time.
1) We will find out EXACTLY how much of Tech's recruiting struggled are Institute and curriculum related. We have removed the other impediments to recruiting in terms of coach's attitude toward it and scheme. This is really the first extended period in modern recruiting that we have had both of those.
2) We also may have an opportunity to truly quantify how powerful the UGA machine is in this State. While CPJ was not really focused on recruiting, I think that following the successes of 2008 and 2009, the negative recruiting and media message against him and Tech really stepped up a notch. The Dwag machine does not like even a hint that their in state dominance is being threatened. If CGC fires a real shot across their bow in terms of recruiting, you will see the machine rev up to shut it down with the quickness.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Fresh off the brand new hire of CGC, we are like the team running out on to the field in a big game, jumping around the sideline, smacking helmets, and generally getting each other excited to play. All that over-the-top energy, however, usually lasts about a series before you just settle down and play. It is then that everybody in attendance sees how well prepared you really are to take on the opponent.

Truthfully, it is kind of nice to see GT nation getting a little excited. It hasn't been that way, among the fanbase, or the media, in a little while. With, that said , I am a person who usually sets aside distractions and looks to fundamentals a little more quickly than most. Personally, I think CGC is in for a real challenge. There are some realities facing him and huge decisions, with lasting repercussions, looming in the near term.

Let's start with the decisions. The highest priority, without question, is finding the right OC and doing so quickly, so as to settle the immediate recruiting and player transfer dust ASAP. It cannot be overstated how important this hire will be for his and our success moving forward. Whether we have appreciated it or not, we have had a clear identity on the offensive side of the ball for a while now. We knew who we were and we were good at it. That new identity must be re-established pronto. I have heard "NFL style offense", but don't really know what that means. Clemson, for example, has had a lot of success putting offensive players in the NFL, but they haven't run an NFL offense per se. I hope what is really meant by the term is simply, running a style of offense that showcases skills that are coveted in the NFL. I would be fine with that, as I believe we could keep some of our core run game principles, whether under center or pistol, while incorporating more aerial components to what we do. We have smart kids, we should be able to master a myriad of different sets and looks within a very diverse attack. CGC, by reputation, is a defensive coach, which I welcome, because defense wins championships. That fact, however, makes this hire all the more important in my eyes. We need to improve on defense and ST without question, but if we stagnate on offense, this could be a painful process. I will take coach at his word that he intends to build an offense around what his players can do. Finding the right guy to do that, without a ton of direction from the HC is paramount. CGC will be putting his stamp on the defensive side of the ball. Together with HC duties and a brand new community to engage, that will be enough on his daily plate.

Now let's move on to the challenges. I really appreciate his reputation as a recruiter and the excitement building around this hire in that regard. I fully agree that ATL, and the state of GA, is a hot bed for talent. That has been the case for a couple of generations now though, and regardless of offensive style of play, we have struggled to land our share of the catch. Maybe, he truly does have some magic potion that will make recruits see the true value of the GT experience, relative to the rest of the southeastern CFB factories. I hope so, but a reasonable mind would conclude that without a massive shift in underlying fundamentals, we might make some headway, but this is most likely to continue to be an exhausting climb. It will be the defining test of our theories surrounding style of play and coach personalities etc. My sincere hope is that, with the CGC hire, the rest of the GT admin, combined with major donors etc, will reassess how we are supporting the recruitment efforts of our program. Hopefully his enthusiasm, charisma, and energy will embolden those in position to think big, expand our scope substantially, and contribute to the effort at another level.

By my estimation, CPJ was as good a game/clock manager, play caller, and scheme developer as has been seen in the history of the game. Those attributes will not be easily replaced. One of CGC's challenges will be to replicate a similar level of mastery within the construct of his system. Some acts are tougher to follow than others. In a perfect world, we won't ever come to realize how truly spoiled we have been. I've got some news. The world ain't perfect. Young head coaches are typically subject to a learning curve. We might want to temper our expectations and keep some patience as he grows into the role.

If these issues are not resolved to the positive, we may just find that we are merely a team jumping up and down on the sidelines before the helmets collide (Oops, sorry, that would be targeting. What I meant to say was before shoulders hit areas well below the necks). Time will tell. CGC said this was his dream job. Hopefully, we will all come to consider him our dream coach who accomplishes his vision and spends a couple decades here, retiring a legend.
I've never seen so much hype and excitement for the program in my lifetime. It's an exciting time right now

Deleted member 2897

I think we owe it to Coach Collins to offer unwavering, unconditional, positive, relentless support...at least for a long time.

Case and point, here is who we play in 2020, along with their highest ranking in the last 2 years:
#1 Clemson
#2 Georgia
#2 Miami
#3 Notre Dame
#5 UCF
#12 Virginia Tech
#12 Syracuse
#22 Duke
#23 Virginia
#24 Pittsburgh

That is murderers row.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
The OC position will be a critical hire. I am not sure what an NFL offense is either. The Panthers use some option/RPO schemes. Something like this may be a relatively easy transition. The Patriots/Steelers rely more on QB arm talent and don’t want them carrying the ball. This would be a much harder transition.