Where are they now? A.T. Barnes

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
“My passion and desire is to build our youth for the next generation through sports and fitness,” said Barnes, who graduated from Cartersville High School in 2005, prior to playing football and obtaining a business management degree at Georgia Tech. “I have been blessed to play and earn an education from Georgia Tech, then to be an apprentice from the sports performance guru — Dr. Clayton Gibson/Vitality Health Care Inc. — and to teach/coach at Cartersville High School alongside some spectacular coaches.

Cartersville Daily Tribune article link

20190608-220600-phpviYCIi.jpg

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
Cool.

These kinds of articles always make me wish we had a science-focused physical training+technology+education program for athletes that want to coach - it makes me a little sad to think about the 5 years of time/blood/sweat these guys put in to get a Business degree that they aren't using after they graduate.

We could send these athletes out into GA high schools with the latest methods and a GT connection to groom the next generation instead.

I suspect that if you talk to a lot of these recruits, their "plan B" if <sport> doesn't work out is to coach.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
Cool.

These kinds of articles always make me wish we had a science-focused physical training+technology+education program for athletes that want to coach - it makes me a little sad to think about the 5 years of time/blood/sweat these guys put in to get a Business degree that they aren't using after they graduate.

We could send these athletes out into GA high schools with the latest methods and a GT connection to groom the next generation instead.

I suspect that if you talk to a lot of these recruits, their "plan B" if <sport> doesn't work out is to coach.
A kinesiology degree (or even a concentration within a biology degree) would be perfect.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Wish we could have an ongoing series of “where are they now” posts.

Even a “whatever happened to” type thing for lessor known 50s - 2000 S/As.

Really enjoy these type posts.
I do too is why I posted this. But I don't go looking for articles like this. It was just in a newspaper I happen to read regularly.

Sometimes as fans we lose perspective that these are kids going to college and playing football at an extremely high level. Often times they come from backgrounds that were disadvantageous to success in life. To see student athletes like these who graduate successfully and are able to give back to their communities makes them "Everyday Champions".

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just wish we had a degree in Circus like FSU.

As for starting a high tech “coaching” degree, someone in GT academia would have to push it, that’s the first hurdle. Then they’d have to prove to the BoR there is sufficient demand for it in the state and that what we’d offer is significantly different (STEM version) than what’s already out there. The field has evolved that direction already and the school’s that already offer those degrees may be keeping pace.