When We Get A New Coach, Can We Just Pay Players?

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The next coach hired will be the first in the NIL era. This is oversimplified, but instead of paying approximately $3.5M in salary for a coach, why would we not pay a coach around $800K and then pay players $2.7M per year?

This is really just a thought exercise because I know that NIL has restrictions, but buying talent instead of coaches is probably the best way to move forward. After all, Brady was paid more than Belichik.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The next coach hired will be the first in the NIL era. This is oversimplified, but instead of paying approximately $3.5M in salary for a coach, why would we not pay a coach around $800K and then pay players $2.7M per year?

This is really just a thought exercise because I know that NIL has restrictions, but buying talent instead of coaches is probably the best way to move forward. After all, Brady was paid more than Belichik.
Pretty sure the school/GTAA itself cannot be involved in the paying.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This is an excellent suggestion. I am sure we have enough brain power and inventiveness within the GT community to figure out how to maneuver through this NIL maze and make this happen on a footing that would pass muster. Hell, Alabama, Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma and the rest of the factory schools have already done this and suffered no repercussions. We need to get with it or shut it down.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
No, because our donors don't care at the level that Tennesse, uga, FSU, etc care about football. We are a research school and The Hill will never deviate from that. Football will ALWAYS be secondary. People say 'oh downtown Atlanta, etc etc' but that does not matter now. What matters is money and we don't have it for athletics.

bennyjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
They would start caring if they realize the earnings potential of an elite GT football program. Florida and now Georgi have transformed their entire campus and academic ranking from the money they rake in from football.

GoJacketsInRaleigh

Ramblin' Wreck
Another name that just wins and has dealt with academic restrictions is bronco mendenhall. Not exactly sure why he left Virginia but he would get us back to 7-8 wins. I’d still take the upside of Deion over him though.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Another name that just wins and has dealt with academic restrictions is bronco mendenhall. Not exactly sure why he left Virginia but he would get us back to 7-8 wins. I’d still take the upside of Deion over him though.
As I recall it was 50/50 being done with football / generally hating the east coast.
I thought he retired to a ranch in the mountain west. If I had the means... :D

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Pretty sure the school/GTAA itself cannot be involved in the paying.

This is very true.

But I think we'd all be very naive to think that certain schools are not laundering the money to the players through NIL.

I think the reality of NIL is pretty clear: we're too cheap to buy players. It's totally legal to do it now and we don't have a single top player to show for it. Look at that GTNILclub or whatever it is ... only some 19 people and they've donated a combined $1,000.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
They would start caring if they realize the earnings potential of an elite GT football program. Florida and now Georgi have transformed their entire campus and academic ranking from the money they rake in from football.
This is what frustrates me. They don’t see the connection between athletics and academics and how to use both to supplement the other.