When the TO3 died

LibertyTurns

Banned
Depends on who the loss is to, and by what margin. Generally speaking the answer to your question is no.

But implying that we wouldn’t get in the CFP with losses to puke & cheat means you hate CPJ, hate GT, want GT to admit anyone, or have never attended a GT game.
I don’t hate CPJ, I don’t want us to admit ANYONE and I have season tickets.

I’m just looking at this realistically. We all crap on the coastal as being weak, so our season basically boils down to Clemp (maybe 2 games) and mutt. There’s essentially 4 options:
A. One loss to Pitt, Dook, etc you pick, beat Clemp twice & the mutt. A late loss to someone like that is doubly damning. We’re maybe #5 behind Bammer, ND, OU & Oh St.
B. One loss to mutt. It’s late in the season and we may be ranked as high as #3 at that point behind ND & Bammer. We drop to #6 or 8 and are basically out of the running.
C. Lose to Clemp early and then we run the table. We started the year completely unranked, no points no nothing. The win against Duke makes us 6-1 against a weak schedule. We have some votes but not Top 25, that comes when we beat VT and are 7-1. We beat the mutt for their 2nd loss then beat Clemp in title game. I still think we’re at best #5.
D. Lose to Clemp in Championship game & we’re kicked to the curb.
As a data point, UCF is undefeated & they can’t get up the polls to #4. Until the system is 8 teams, we need to run the table. When it’s 16, we really start having a chance to win ourselves into contention.

LibertyTurns

Banned
@TheSilasSonRising As far as admitting anyone goes, my preference is to allow more reaches. Not everyone grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not everyone’s a standardized test wizard. Hardworking, reasonable intelligent individuals can survive GT academics with help which I expect the GTAA to provide. Sometimes they just need a chance a good environment in which to succeed. Certainly we can develop technology to, god forbid, enable the moderately intelligent to even pass the dreaded Calculus.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
The triple option is a play concept. It's not dead, and it will never die. It's just evolved over the years like most other defining play concepts.

IMO, the triple option has become one of the defining concepts of football along with 4 verticals, inside/outside zone reads, etc. If coaches are smart, they will continue using it until football is no longer played because it stresses the defenses so much, and it can set up other plays for success.

I think the TO has evolved over the years and it's no longer just a QB/Fullback/RB rushing play. It's evolved into a pretty devastating play, and stressful to defenders:

There are a LOT of ways to repackage the 3O. New Mexico was really good about running 3O off different formations. Chip Kelly was good about repackaging it off IZ/OZ reads and making the 3rd option a pass into screens.

Football will always be about innovation. Offenses will evolve, and defenses will need to evolve to defend the offenses. The good coaches will continually innovate...that's why 60+ year old Andy Reid is considered one of the best offensive minds of all times. His willingness to innovate and incorporate plays from all levels knows no bounds.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
@TheSilasSonRising As far as admitting anyone goes, my preference is to allow more reaches. Not everyone grew up with a silver spoon in their mouth. Not everyone’s a standardized test wizard. Hardworking, reasonable intelligent individuals can survive GT academics with help which I expect the GTAA to provide. Sometimes they just need a chance a good environment in which to succeed. Certainly we can develop technology to, god forbid, enable the moderately intelligent to even pass the dreaded Calculus.
Especially if they start fast ( some ap classes and POSSIBLY red shirt ). I hear the new edge center will help shepherd along this process.

Nebraska had great o l built w walk ons and 5th year seniors . Our problem seems to be guys not having the time of their lives as r Jr and r sr Football players at ga tech. We will have to grow them

Animal02

Banned
Especially if they start fast ( some ap classes and POSSIBLY red shirt ). I hear the new edge center will help shepherd along this process.

Nebraska had great o l built w walk ons and 5th year seniors . Our problem seems to be guys not having the time of their lives as r Jr and r sr Football players at ga tech. We will have to grow them
The real smart ones are graduating in 4 or less.