When it’s all said & done: J.Gibbs

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I liked 2014 Days better than Laskey. Seemed to swim through holes better. Laskey often put his head down and plowed straight thru.

One thing Laskey did better than any BB CPJ had was it was rare he ever lost yardage or got stopped in the backfield. I believe there was a stat one season of the top RBs in college football with the lowest amount of rushing attempts for a loss, and Laskey was like in the top 3.

Laskey wasn't spectacular, he was just consistent. There's a reason why the Rams converted him into a FB and he stuck around the League for 2 seasons. I agree though, Days had the potential for bigger plays than Laskey.

IslandsofGaunilo

Georgia Tech Fan
My whole point is he’s not going to be on Mount Rushmore of GT backs if he doesn’t play in any seasons where we’re actually doing anything because no one is going to have strong memories about those games, resulting in him being under-appreciated and not being one of those legends. There is a difference between Great and what was proposed in this thread. The world isn’t black and white.
This. Calvin Johnson is a legendary figure at GT not for his talent alone or his statistics, but for his performances during winning seasons, specifically his role in several major upset victories: see Auburn 2005, Miami 2005, VT 2006, etc. No one will care two decades hence that Gibbs put up x yards per carry in 2021 or 2022; they will care if he contributed to meaningful victories (at GT, the only meaningful victory during a losing season would be UGA) in a way which also showcases his talent. I hope they do: 2022 is (presumably) GT’s last chance to capitalize on Gibbs’s exceptional talent and hopefully help him cement his status as a GT legend.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
This. Calvin Johnson is a legendary figure at GT not for his talent alone or his statistics, but for his performances during winning seasons, specifically his role in several major upset victories: see Auburn 2005, Miami 2005, VT 2006, etc. No one will care two decades hence that Gibbs put up x yards per carry in 2021 or 2022; they will care if he contributed to meaningful victories (at GT, the only meaningful victory during a losing season would be UGA) in a way which also showcases his talent. I hope they do: 2022 is (presumably) GT’s last chance to capitalize on Gibbs’s exceptional talent and hopefully help him cement his status as a GT legend.
This is a bad take. People care about Calvin because he was the best at his position and made highlight real plays.

He also had a great NFL career and was/is a great ambassador for GT.

Gibbs fits the same bill. He’s arguably the best back in the ACC and one of the best backs in the country. He’s got a great demeanor, big highlight real plays, and has the potential to have a long NFL career.

Gibbs also has a chance next year to lead us to plenty of wins.

ramblin_man

Helluva Engineer
Well in this scenario Gibbs was “the horse before the cart” while here at GT. He is a very very explosive player (great humble individual) and is/was held in high regard by his teammates and coaches. We were fortunate to have had a strong enough relationship with him to win him over throughout the recruiting tidal wave during his senior high school year. But we lacked the “horses” offensive line and coordinator(s) to fully see what he is capable of offering. When he lands with his new team I will still follow and cheer him on as long as he’s not playing against the Jackets! He withstood a lot of pressure and temptation to leave after the first 3 years and showed tremendous amount of hard work, dedication, and loyalty to GT and his teammates. I hate to see him go but I do not blame or hold it against him. I do wonder what the conversation between him and CGC sounded like and I know the toughest person/conversation he had to have was with Choice. Best of luck Gibbs! Go forward and make the best of your opportunities and continue to make positive impacts upon the lives of the people you interact amongst!

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I liked your post. A lot. But I kept thinking about old values and principles. I just can't imagine turning my back on teammates and friends like that and I imagine some of the old timers here can't either. It is something that simply wasn't done "back in the day" (when me and the rest of us dinosaurs were growing up). You may argue that that it was in his best interest to maximize potential return and you would be right in a bottom line, calculating sort of way. But, imo, that is the difference between accounting profit and economic profit.

WTBS, I wish him the best wherever he ends up.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Read all of the above and am just wondering what was Gibbs’ signature game in all of your opinions? Louisville? I think that’s the only choice. For a frame of reference Laskey’s signature game was the 3 TD performance against the mutt, Calvin for me was the Clemp game- you know which one, Dwyer was the 2008 mutt game where he broke that dudes ankles.

Gibbs is a great RB, as good as Choice. Problem is he didn’t have a chance. He’ll be remembered but in my mind without “that” win, well it’s pretty bittersweet.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Read all of the above and am just wondering what was Gibbs’ signature game in all of your opinions? Louisville? I think that’s the only choice. For a frame of reference Laskey’s signature game was the 3 TD performance against the mutt, Calvin for me was the Clemp game- you know which one, Dwyer was the 2008 mutt game where he broke that dudes ankles.

Gibbs is a great RB, as good as Choice. Problem is he didn’t have a chance. He’ll be remembered but in my mind without “that” win, well it’s pretty bittersweet.
He will be remembered for what could’ve been.

Imagine having Calvin on this team. It was hard enough for a running back to do anything in this offense.

Imagine being a receiver dependent on the OL and inexperienced qb.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think that J. Gibbs is the most dynamic athlete we have had since Calvin Johnson. It’s amazing that as rare as both these individuals are/were that both times the supporting casts required for them to fully reach their potential and fully feel and benefit from their presence on the team are not in place. When Calvin was here we didn’t have a highly effective quarter back to throw to him. Now with Gibbs we don’t have a decent OL for him to run behind. It makes me wonder if Gibbs were to have the opportunity to sit down with CJ one on one what his advice to Gibbs would be stay and get your GT degree or transfer and really up your draft status and make big $$$ on the NIL market at a program where the pieces are there for him to excel Day #1?
It is amazing that one day we will all be watching Gibbs set records in the NFL and put his skills on full display and have to know that we had him here on the Flats and we’re not able to capitalize on his talents. Gibbs and GT are VERY fortunate to have Choice here to not only get these RB here but has a unique way of building a incredible bond that makes them want to stay and play for him here at GT. I also wonder if Choice were able to fully take off his Gold tinted glasses what his advice for Gibbs would be. Stay and tough it out or go and grow those God given talents because you’re only given 1 shot?
Well, I guess we’ll never know…. :mad: Thanks Coach GC3…