When does Pastner feel heat

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I used to think that we should be careful because sometimes changing coaches can make things worse....not so much anymore.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Keatts rebuilt his team at State from the portal this year. Same at Wake. Keatts probably saved his job this year.

link3945

Jolly Good Fellow
This really isn't working, it maybe hasn't ever worked, and it's not like he's recruiting well either. I don't think we have much of a choice here.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have to believe Pastner knows his job is in trouble. He appears to have tried to change the offense from that high post Princeton thingy to more spread and drive. He is trying but nothing is working. There is no reason for this team to be free throw shooting so poorly. That comes from repetition in practice and can be improved.

EddieK

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought he would get one more year. I'm not so sure now. If he had a couple of really good commits for next year it would be different. He has one but not what he really needs. Who knows who will.stay. It's not a pretty picture for next year. It will be hard not to make a change.
My view is that there is no reason we shouldn't be in the top third in the ACC. Since 2016, we've ranked 72, 79, 48, 123, 76, 36, 155, and 66 (2023) in recruiting rankings so not even good most years. He has a 102-110 record with us (even worse in the ACC) and we've made one NCAA Tournament (where we lost in the first round). McCamish is 1/2 filled at most, usually 1/3, a change needs to happen now

Screen Shot 2023-02-01 at 9.47.25 PM.png

Last edited:

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I went to Duke Wake game last night in Cameron. It is more than a game. It is an experience. My wife knows nothing about basketball but just loved the entire experience. Even the timeouts are entertaining. We need that back at McCamish.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
The team is in worse shape now than it was at the end of the Gregory era. A new coach will need to completely turn over the roster. Unfortunately, no coach would be able to do much with this group. Pastner's biggest shortcoming has been in the area of recruiting.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
The team is in worse shape now than it was at the end of the Gregory era. A new coach will need to completely turn over the roster. Unfortunately, no coach would be able to do much with this group. Pastner's biggest shortcoming has been in the area of recruiting.
I disagree. There is talent there with which to work. Need a big man transfer and a PG who can break down defenses and distribute. More importantly we need better coaching.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. There is talent there with which to work. Need a big man transfer and a PG who can break down defenses and distribute. More importantly we need better coaching.
We have neither ACC level talent nor coaching currently. Fixing this broken program will be difficult even in the Portal era.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
Not at all. The reason for this frustration is the fact that there is obvious talent on this team. Gregory relied on a bunch of rentals that didn't move the needle anywhere close to enough. This team could be good next year with the right coach. The reason to get rid of Pastner is his inability to do much with this team

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
Not at all. The reason for this frustration is the fact that there is obvious talent on this team. Gregory relied on a bunch of rentals that didn't move the needle anywhere close to enough. This team could be good next year with the right coach. The reason to get rid of Pastner is his inability to do much with this team
How can you watch this team and say there is talent. There isn’t. However, Pastner preaches player development and we have fallen far short with this group. Danny Manning was on the bench today for UL. His salary as an assistant is $600,000. We need better assistants. Possibly a better coach too.

buzzchillington69

Georgia Tech Fan
Running an offense through a Big Sky-caliber center is in and of itself a fireable offense. Let alone seeing it not work for the entirety of last year, not fixing it this off-season. And then the chutzpah of blaming a lack of practice time. Just cut bait with CJP already, whatever the buyout price is is worth it. Great interviewer, nice guy, but not the coach for this program.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think the Wizard of Westwood could win with the team Pastner assembled.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
When you don't hustle and get left in the game, you lose the team. Last coach at GT that did that set records of futility going back before Heisman. We've at least regressed 43 years. 1953 which is 70 years ago looks like the bottom of the bottom. He's getting close.

Where Batt & Cabrera? Hopefully meeting the plane on arrival.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Where Batt & Cabrera? Hopefully meeting the plane on arrival.
Figuratively, I agree. There is a place and time for discussions about Pastner's future and I am confident Batt is well ahead of us. It's his job. There is a lot more to consider than the happiness of Swarm members, even if we are the most public with our dismay. It has been made clear by several upstream on this thread that we need to make sure the next coach is an actual improvement over Josh. It will take what we are paying him plus quite a bit more if we expect measurable improvement in the near future. Where is that money to be sourced? Do we have enough deep pocket alums who care enough about hoops to make a difference? Finding them, if they exist, is Batt's real challenge. Then the meeting with Josh is easy for both men.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Figuratively, I agree. There is a place and time for discussions about Pastner's future and I am confident Batt is well ahead of us. It's his job. There is a lot more to consider than the happiness of Swarm members, even if we are the most public with our dismay. It has been made clear by several upstream on this thread that we need to make sure the next coach is an actual improvement over Josh. It will take what we are paying him plus quite a bit more if we expect measurable improvement in the near future. Where is that money to be sourced? Do we have enough deep pocket alums who care enough about hoops to make a difference? Finding them, if they exist, is Batt's real challenge. Then the meeting with Josh is easy for both men.
Plenty of GT people outside of The Swarm that are dissatisfied.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Plenty of GT people outside of The Swarm that are dissatisfied.
I am sure you are correct, but they are not the target audience of my post.

Because of where I live, my life is "blessed" by the friendship of a bunch of UNC, NC State, and Duke grads/fans. I hear frequently that they miss having GT being relevant in the ACC. We are not the laughing stock of the ACC. People want us to be more successful.