When does Pastner feel heat

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
This is an amazing thread. he took over a dumpster fire of a team and instantly turned it around. He had a year or two that weren't great, but even his worst years have been better than what we had before he got here. Compare that to the football team, where we had a guy that was consistently winning whom we ran off for the current situation.
Revisionist history

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
As a former college player and coach, yes basketball is the easiest sport to turn around. But, you need 2 leaders, one on the bench and one in the floor. That's what this team is missing. No one in the floor is taking responsibility for their actions, much less the other guys. It takes more nuts than skill to be a floor leader. That player had to be the able to handle himself and take care of the guys on the floor, starters or not.

As for the bench leader, not taking about the coaches, it takes a guy who will sacrifice his pride. He has to be relentless on keeping the guys mentality in the game and ready to play. That happens in the weight room, locker room, practice gym and during games. Find those 2 players and you can turn it around quick.

Or go toe to toe and try to out recruit everyone else with a crap program.

Once the winning starts to happen, that's when you can go after bigger and bigger fish. But you always got to to have those 2 types of players no matter what.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I think there is something else at play here. And the here in this case is both The Swarm, chat rooms in general, and talk among friends offline. You are much more likely to get a discussion going by complaining about a situation or policy than by agreeing. It's human nature to engage people who find fault with something you generally feel positive toward. It can be religion or politics or sports, and the discussion threads look very similar. I am an amateur chef and I see arguments over comments about how much fish sauce goes in khao soi gai. The real answer is, "stop when it tastes the way you want it." But pages can pass before someone says, "Oh yeah, and the galangal should be added in big pieces." Off we go again.
Just when I was about to check out of this forum due to its lack of cultural diversity...some decent Thai cuisine references.

Faith restored, I'll stay a bit longer. 😉

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
When all you can recruit are guards, your program is lost before it starts in the ACC. It’s like playing catch between big kids over the little brother and little sister. It just doesn’t work. Time for a recruiter.

To be historically correct, the Memphis program did not recruit well and started a slide in Pastner’s year 2.

Pastner was saved by Alvarado…a point guard and shocking development of a player that no one else wanted. He outrecruited not one coach in each year.

His actual coaching and rapport is commendable. Good traits for an assistant. If you’re an all guard and small forward coach, go to smaller schools, NAIA or high school. He’d be awesome on all points there. I mean that sincerely.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
When all you can recruit are guards, your program is lost before it starts in the ACC. It’s like playing catch between big kids over the little brother and little sister. It just doesn’t work. Time for a recruiter.

To be historically correct, the Memphis program did not recruit well and started a slide in Pastner’s year 2.

Pastner was saved by Alvarado…a point guard and shocking development of a player that no one else wanted. He outrecruited not one coach in each year.

His actual coaching and rapport is commendable. Good traits for an assistant. If you’re an all guard and small forward coach, go to smaller schools, NAIA or high school. He’d be awesome on all points there. I mean that sincerely.
What guards do we have that are high level ACC Players

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I didn’t say they were capable, did I? Look at who he actually signed….He failed on all the big men he recruited.
You are being kind to him. The way the team is playing there are no ACC worthy players. Great guards are necessary to win championships. Serviceable big men will do. We have neither.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
The thing is, there is no way Pastner is fired until J has the NIL program defined and in place. Why would any decent coach be willing to come to Tech unless he knows what he can pay his players?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
OK. All agree. Who are the high school phenoms in the ATL and Georgia that can turn GT around?
Let's start with Isaiah Collier out of Wheeler. He'd been a good start to have signed with us for next year.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow