When does Pastner feel heat

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
You are correct. Also led Winthrop to a 23-2 season. I don’t know if he’s the answer but I’m sure he could do as well as what we have now and he has CoC in the top 25 with the longest winning streak in the nation with victories over Kent State and VPI. He plays an uptempo style which may be appealing to high level local recruits and transfers
He might inflate us due to teenage nostalgia for the Bobby Cremins days but I’ve just assumed he’s got bigger and better things in mind than Georgia Tech.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Whenever it happens, I think it will be very important to hire a coach that fits the culture and values of the Metro area. I have long said that Pastner and Atlanta is a very odd match mostly because it isn't a match.Do Atlanta kids want to commit to a quirky guy like Pastner? He is nice enough for sure, but can he relate to kids from that region? You have fertile soil within close proximity to campus and don't exactly needs to venture far to stockpile this program.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
It’s time Josh start leveraging what the prior posters have said. You think you can do better than me with the support you give. Good luck. Now that I have your attention give me X, Y, and Z. What’s he got to lose. The current system isn’t working.

Connell’s info was extremely informative and discouraging.
I take your point - and in a perfect world GT should be able to supply everything he needs. But if I am the AD I am going to hand him the phone and say which donor should we call to fund the things you want (not arguing with what he wants). My point being that if the donors are not willing to fund him for the things the program needs - which I have to expect is the case given the lack of funding - then unfortunately he is up the Hershey highway. If I am the AD I am asking the donors who would they support if we bring them in. It is not pretty but I expect it is reality.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I take your point - and in a perfect world GT should be able to supply everything he needs. But if I am the AD I am going to hand him the phone and say which donor should we call to fund the things you want (not arguing with what he wants). My point being that if the donors are not willing to fund him for the things the program needs - which I have to expect is the case given the lack of funding - then unfortunately he is up the Hershey highway. If I am the AD I am asking the donors who would they support if we bring them in. It is not pretty but I expect it is reality.
Well if the donors don’t want to support CJP then the AD needs to find someone they will support and fire CJP.

Status quo has basically killed interest in GT BB. If Batt is a stud AD he can find the necessary money. Finding a coach, that is a question.

Something needs to change. Getting $$ is necessary regardless. AD’s got to be able to deal with multiple sports and issues at the same time.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
The other question you should ask him when you hand him the phone is which assistant coaches should we call to help you be successful? He deserves the same support that Coach Key is getting on the football side.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
DB6C48DB-37DC-458B-9FE2-D2A82DC2151B.jpeg

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I know I’m in the minority/biased as BB > FB but it drives me nuts that most of our fans would be more excited about

- a high 4* OT who won’t even be strong enough to push opposing linemen around til his RS SO season and is 1 of 22 guys on the field

than

- a high 4* PG who single-handedly wins games, transforms the program, and puts up double digit scoring his freshman year

We aren’t far away from being a consistent NCAAT team on intrinsic elements of Georgia Tech alone. BB just needs the same fervor and gusto and attention the football program gets.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Prior to the season, there was a thread from a font on another board that mentioned Josh reaching out to a season ticket holder's father inquiring if they planned to renew. Last year after the season, he personally contacted several season ticket holders whose tickets were scanned for every game, thanking them for their support. My point is that he is not scared to interact with boosters / donors. I speak with him regularly and while I donate, I am far from a big supporter. There are many, probably on this board, that do / give more than I do.

Personally, I think that his biggest problem is that he isn't vocal enough about what he needs / wants, but the reality is that we don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. Despite the on-the-court results, Josh has always had the reputation of a tireless worker, and I don't think that has changed. It is safe to assume that he knows the biggest donors. It goes beyond them not wanting to fund Josh. We also have to remember how many times these boosters have been hit up for donations over the last couple of years. There have been several fundraising initiatives over the past couple of years, and we all know how much assistance football has needed.

This may seem like another defense of Josh, but there are only so many donors with deep pockets that are going to cut a check. Let's not give Todd Stansbury and the adminstration a complete pass. Yes, Josh should have been beating the NIL drum before it became a thing, but having a vision and being ahead of the curve is a big part of the AD's job. Not to mention, many people also feel like they have given and given to the GTAA and their donations have been poorly managed (not just on hoops), and they're tired of ineptness.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
@Peacone36
@AUFC

I think we all hear and echo your sentiments. I think it was just the new folks choosing to put out a raging forest fire before putting out a dumpster fire.

BB can exist as it is for a while longer. FB couldn't so it got the money first. I think it's that simple.

To be clear, I'm not speaking to the historical lack of attention paid to basketball. Simply offering an explanation for why the new guys fixed FB first.

And maybe they agree with you in that they see it as an easier fix?

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
@Peacone36
@AUFC

I think we all hear and echo your sentiments. I think it was just the new folks choosing to put out a raging forest fire before putting out a dumpster fire.

BB can exist as it is for a while longer. FB couldn't so it got the money first. I think it's that simple.

To be clear, I'm not speaking to the historical lack of attention paid to basketball. Simply offering an explanation for why the new guys fixed FB first.

And maybe they agree with you in that they see it as an easier fix?
Didn’t football get “fixed” last time when they dumped the RDF for the new staff shortly after we hired Pastner?

I don’t follow CFB admittedly. Real football is played on Sundays…and Mondays.

Not so much on Thursday

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Whenever it happens, I think it will be very important to hire a coach that fits the culture and values of the Metro area. I have long said that Pastner and Atlanta is a very odd match mostly because it isn't a match.Do Atlanta kids want to commit to a quirky guy like Pastner? He is nice enough for sure, but can he relate to kids from that region? You have fertile soil within close proximity to campus and don't exactly needs to venture far to stockpile this program.
I don't think Tech is able to admit many kids from the Atlanta Public School system.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The BB season covers both semesters and over 20 games with many of them during the week that are not that close. It has to be tough academically on those kids. Football is on the weekend with occasionally a Thursday night game and only half are away from Atlanta. Both sports are challenging for the athletes but I suspect BB is more challenging for a marginal academic student. It was difficult for me as a regular student with a part time job. I marvel at the ability of our athletes to do as well as they do.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Didn’t football get “fixed” last time when they dumped the RDF for the new staff shortly after we hired Pastner?

I don’t follow CFB admittedly. Real football is played on Sundays…and Mondays.

Not so much on Thursday

1. I'm sure they thought they'd fixed it, but considering the whole AD got fire'd, seems an admission of a mistake.

2. NFL is terrible. I haven't watched anything NFL in over 10-15 years. It's basically 30 teams all tryna do and be the same thing but fooling people into thinking they're not. Switch the jerseys and no one would know the difference.

Bored Josh Hutcherson GIF by Gunpowder & Sky

daddee724

Georgia Tech Fan
That's sort of my point.. This is not meant to defend Josh, he has brought heat onto himself, but if he were to be fired tomorrow, we would land on probably our 5th choice for the position.

That person would likely be someone that wouldn't have the same results. Let's face it, there's no budget, no NIL pool to utilize, etc. It is not an inviable position.

No coach worth a **** is going to sign-up for that.
That is what I thought also, until I saved 15% by switching my insurance to Geico

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
We aren’t far away from being a consistent NCAAT team on intrinsic elements of Georgia Tech alone. BB just needs the same fervor and gusto and attention the football program gets.

If Basketball got the same treatment football got we'd fire Pastner and turn around and promote WIlkins to head coach. Somehow I don't believe that is the right path.

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
If Basketball got the same treatment football got we'd fire Pastner and turn around and promote WIlkins to head coach. Somehow I don't believe that is the right path.
Only if Wilkins turned around the program during his time as interim and put together more wins than the prev guy had

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He told me directly, 1:1, that he accepted the St. John's job. He told DRad that their relationship and support obviously wasn't working. DRad convinced him that his job at GT was not in jeopardy, then fired him a year later.

That's one side of the story.
What I heard from DRad just now:

“Look, I have no idea who I’m going to get to lead this program. I also had no idea that anyone would be interested in taking you off of our hands. You caught me with my pants down! There has to be a catch, but I don’t see it yet. Let’s just stay buddies until I figure this out. This is an issue for future Dave and future Paul, amirite? Go get ‘em buddy! I’ve got a ‘vote of confidence’ presser to write.”