When are we done paying Hewitt?

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
If things continue to go downhill, I'm wondering what is the earliest we could hire a coach that might demand a higher salary. Thanks.

Josh Joseph

Georgia Tech Fan
It looks like it was $7.2 million over 5 years starting in 2011. So I think April 2016 he gets his last pay check from GT.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remain unconvinced we'll step up for market rate ($1.5MM - $2.5MM/year) if & when the day comes.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm optimistic. :)

Just because I'm curious... optimistic about the coming season or optimistic that we'll pony up for a coach when the time is right.

Bobinski is a basketball guy, coming from Xavier, so I'd like to think he can attract a good coach and seeks to see our hoops program get better, unlike certain ADs focused on facilities and less interested in hoops.

Buzz Williams is the benchmark for a high quality ACC hoops coach and VT got him for under market at $2.2MM for a variety of reasons.

I think I've read that Paul Johnson makes about $2.5MM.

So I'd like to think we have a gauge of what we'd need to go after and what we'd need to pay. I just don't think we'll step up for it, even with increased ACC money. $1.5MM maybe, but not the $2MM - $2.5MM we'd need to land a rising or well established name.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I'm optimistic. :)

No, you're @brian22. ;) I'm with @dtm1997 on this one. We've not shown any inkling of wanting to pay what it'll take to get a transcendent hire. Now, that was likely due to the buyout so there's that caveat. MBob's one redeeming quality is he's hired some darn good coaches while at Xavier. I'm hoping he wasn't just lucky.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
This is a relevant topic as this will be in our face sooner than later.Without even seeing the schedule,if Greg can not have a losing season- he might stay.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a relevant topic as this will be in our face sooner than later.Without even seeing the schedule,if Greg can not have a losing season- he might stay.

I think we'll be more competitive than expected and maybe even steal a few, given the massive turnover.

That said, I think our schedule is going to be a bear. Good Dayton squad, improving UGA & Vandy squads, loaded ACC schedule (although a lot of the better teams visit), facing 3 among Kansas, Sparty, Marquette, Tennessee, Rhode Island, Santa Clara, & Rider.

brian22

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm optimistic that our program will rebound. No pun intended. I wasn't encouraged by the CBG hire, but I did like a lot of things that he did early on: bringing in alum players, recruiting, saying all the right things, etcetera. Unfortunately for him, I feel that anything that could go wrong, has. That being said, I'm dumbfounded that the recruiting has seemingly taken a nosedive off a cliff. If Gregory can't right the ship, I'm fairly confident that Mike Bob will get us to where we need to be. He obviously loves basketball, and I'm sure that he'll get the program the resources that it needs to be competitive again.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm optimistic that our program will rebound. No pun intended. I wasn't encouraged by the CBG hire, but I did like a lot of things that he did early on: bringing in alum players, recruiting, saying all the right things, etcetera. Unfortunately for him, I feel that anything that could go wrong, has. That being said, I'm dumbfounded that the recruiting has seemingly taken a nosedive off a cliff. If Gregory can't right the ship, I'm fairly confident that Mike Bob will get us to where we need to be. He obviously loves basketball, and I'm sure that he'll get the program the resources that it needs to be competitive again.

With no pun intended, are you optimistic that our program will get offensive and defensive rebounds well (with which I agree) or that we'll be bubble contenders (of which I'm skeptical)?