What's your typical minimum expectation for a season?

What's your typical minimum expectation for a season?

• Top 60 in offense, Top 25 in defense

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 60 in offense, Top 60 in defense

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
To emphasize: minimum

Not specifically for the 2014 season, but on average for any season, what's your minimum expectation?

Choose closest to what you expect.

I separated defense and offense to give more nuance to the choices.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What I would LIKE is top 25 offense & defense. But I have learned to temper my expectations, so now I'm just going with top 40 for both.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
To add: if we were to have a top 25 offense say 20th and top 40 defense say 38th, do y'all think our record would be better or worse if the rankings were vice versa?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
To add: if we were to have a top 25 offense say 20th and top 40 defense say 38th, do y'all think our record would be better or worse if the rankings were vice versa?
FWIW, using F/+ defense ranks from football outsiders, we were #43 in '08 and #53 in '09.

So we seem to be able to do well in record with a defense lagging behind offense.

I like offense to be better just because I would like to watch us score more rather than watch us try to win games with defense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, using F/+ defense ranks from football outsiders, we were #43 in '08 and #53 in '09.

So we seem to be able to do well in record with a defense lagging behind offense.

I like offense to be better just because I would like to watch us score more rather than watch us try to win games with defense.
Not surprisingly, I assumed F/+ ranking. I chose top 25 O and top 40 D. I've been disappointed in D every year and O last year. If you go by traditional ypg or ppg, then I'd say top 40 O and top 25 D.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Talent level is not likely to be top 25 for either O or D. CPJ's intimate knowledge and experience with his unique scheme of O might get us to top 25. I see Roof making progress and I am extremely hopeful he can produce a D a lot better than his talent, but I doubt that D can get to top 25 without consistent and considerable improvement in D recruiting. I want more than top 25 O and top 40 D but I don't see the talent level getting us there (although the last two recruiting classes give rise to increasing optimism).

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
To emphasize: minimum

Not specifically for the 2014 season, but on average for any season, what's your minimum expectation?

Choose closest to what you expect.

I separated defense and offense to give more nuance to the choices.
What are we using to define the ranking of offense and defense or is that up to the individual?

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
What are we using to define the ranking of offense and defense or is that up to the individual?
Up to the individual. I think rankings should mostly correlate with each other. I prefer adjusted-for-schedule rankings over raw rankings.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
expectations.... play hard every game, represent our beloved institute well and don't be an idiot. If you do that, I can handle a loss.

on the surface I would agree. however, after further consideration...I could probably get myself (age 55) and some of my buddies and a few volunteers from this site who would meet your requirements. I really don't think you would be pleased with us at the end of the day despite what your post says.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
A raw yards/play will "mostly correlate" I suspect but not the per game stats.
Yeah, you are right, non Big 5 teams would screw it up. So, probably need to qualify that statement, it correlates well if you ignore teams that are not in Big 5. In other words, if you are in top 25 for PPG for example among Big 5 teams, you will likely be in top 25 for F/+ offense too.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, you are right, non Big 5 teams would screw it up. So, probably need to qualify that statement, it correlates well if you ignore teams that are not in Big 5. In other words, if you are in top 25 for PPG for example among Big 5 teams, you will likely be in top 25 for F/+ offense too.

I was thinking also about differences in pace

Animal02

Banned
Anything better than 19-35-2 over 5 years is a good thing...Winning more than 1 game a year over two seasons is a definite plus.

When you suffer through those times....winning 6 or 7 games a year doesn't look so bad. :whistle: