What's your prediction for the season?

What will be GT's record at the end of the regular season?

• 12-0

Votes: 30 14.7%
  • 11-1

Votes: 18 8.8%
  • 10-2

Votes: 53 26.0%
  • 9-3

Votes: 70 34.3%
  • 8-4

Votes: 31 15.2%
  • 7-5

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • 6-6

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5-7 or worse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, I am still trying to figure out how last year's team managed to lose to UNC and Duke, considering whop they beat and they played late in the year.

My point being that if there are two things I have learned in my years of watching college football, one is that GT is always, ALWAYS and emotional team that has the ability to play with anyone ...and the ability to lose to anyone (well, OK, not anyone, but just about).

The other is that fewer things are more meaningless than pre-season predictions. The "experts" aren't just wrong every year, they are spectacularly wrong with their preseason picks pretty much every year. And we aren't experts. Certainly I am not.

I guess that is why we all go to watch the games...because in truth we have very little idea what will happen. All I can tell you is that I believe we will enter every game with a solid chance to compete, and to win. The bounces of the ball, the refs, the weather, injuries and karma will determine our final record. We are not a factory wherein we can simply out-athlete 10 of the teams on our schedule and only need "luck" in the other two...we probably can feel that way about 4 games, and the other 8 are up for grabs. That is a recipe for about 9-3, but my guess is as meaningless as the experts' guesses.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Lots of good posts, but one thing hasn't been mentioned. Coaching. Late last year we saw what our offensive coaching staff is capable of when they got the pieces in places. I feel like up until last year, we had been running somewhat of a limited TO for most of Johnson's tenure. We had a patched together OL for most of the first few years with people playing out of position, or teflon handed receivers, or quarterback deficiencies, no depth, etc. Late last year, the offense was sublime. In game adjustments were great, really good defenses were gutted, lots of players were used, few penalties, few turnovers. The offensive coaching staff is intact, and many of the pieces are still in place. I think we are close to having a production line offense where the parts just come in and fit together.

Another coaching job that has been overlooked is Special Teams. Two, three, four years ago they were miserable and we lost a game or two every year because of that. We would score, and the other team would almost always (it seemed) run the KO back to midfield. If we were lucky, the KO went out of bounds. A touchback brought the loudest cheers of the game. Remember? Last year, Golden never mishandled a punt that I can remember. Most of Butker's kicks went into the end zone. Punt and KO coverage were excellent. We blocked several kicks. Other than the two that cheating uga blocked, I don't think anyone else got to any of our kicks but I may be wrong.

I know we will have the usual argument about how many yards we gave up on Defense, but late last year I always felt good when the defense was on the field. They played hard, made the other team work for their points, caused lots of turnovers, and were resilient when the other team did have a big play. They gave a good effort, and lots of players were used. That is coaching at work. It's easy to forget how much defensive attrition there was last summer. Roof was scrambling to fill some big holes early. I think from October on, Roof got the most out of what he had. I can't see any reason that will be worse this year, but I can see plenty of reasons why it will be better.

I can understand why people are saying 9-3, even 8-4 because of the harder schedule. I think they are underestimating our coaching staff. They've been together a while now. You don't hear any rumblings of bad feeling between the offense and defense. They know their opposition, will have good game plans, and if it's close, they'll pull out the win.

I say 11-1 just because I want to be pleasantly surprised when we go 12-0.

Carober18

Georgia Tech Fan
What do you think it will take to go 12-0?

I think, at a minimum, going 12-0 will require the following:
1. no big injuries
2. 2 pleasant surprises on DL (essentially, anyone other than Gotsis performing better than they did last year, and/or JHD being as good as Gotsis or close)
3. 1 pleasant surprise at LB, other than PJ
4. Shamire being one of the best OL on the team and not needing to take off drives
5. 1-2 ABs that are very good blockers
6. one go-to receiver or 2-3 receivers who consistently make plays over the course of the year--we really should be able to produce 2-3 consistent receivers given man coverage, so part of this is on JT to develop

I put 9-3 because it is really hard to go undefeated and there are plenty of teams who have just as much or more talent than GT.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
10-2. Losses to Clemson and Miami.

Our schedule isn't as difficult imo as people are making it out to be. Returning as many OL as we do as well as our QB there isn't any reason the offense isn't clicking from the beginning. Aback blocking will be a concern playing a bunch of young guys but just talent wise I don't think there is any drop off. The concern for me is finding a back like Days last year, and finding him within the first 2 games and not in game 8. I think Allen has good potential but I really hope if Marshall is the biggest playmaker Johnson isn't so worried about ball security that he sits. I still can't believe Days had just 16 carries through 7 games last year.

Defensively we should be better with returning starters plus new/old additions, but I am worried about how much we relied on TOs last year and whether we can keep that up or how big an impact it will have if we can't.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Last year's team was not 1990 all over again. Last year was more like 1989 and this year feels the same way it felt leading up to the 1990 season. Just as the 1989 team evolved into 1990 team so too the 2014 team is evolving into the 2015 team. Just comparing won / loss record from different decades is a surface comparison and does not capture how each team gave hints of greatness and then grew into that greatness.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
10-2. Losses to Clemson and Miami.

Our schedule isn't as difficult imo as people are making it out to be. Returning as many OL as we do as well as our QB there isn't any reason the offense isn't clicking from the beginning. Aback blocking will be a concern playing a bunch of young guys but just talent wise I don't think there is any drop off. The concern for me is finding a back like Days last year, and finding him within the first 2 games and not in game 8. I think Allen has good potential but I really hope if Marshall is the biggest playmaker Johnson isn't so worried about ball security that he sits. I still can't believe Days had just 16 carries through 7 games last year.

Defensively we should be better with returning starters plus new/old additions, but I am worried about how much we relied on TOs last year and whether we can keep that up or how big an impact it will have if we can't.

Perhaps, "challenging" would be a better word. The schedule is hard in the normal sense of more bowl teams than usual and the presence of FSU and Notre Dame is daunting to say the least. However, that is mitigated to some extent by the graduation and ahem other losses suffered by our opponents. Miami, for instance, lost a boatload of really great players. The thought of not facing Duke Johnson and Denzel P. this year is helpful. FSU may have had more losses graduation and otherwise than any Tech opponent in living memory. Some teams like Clemson lost some good players too. So there is that. Regardless, let's play ball and see what happens.

hwdgeplague

Jolly Good Fellow
I say 11 wins 1 loss. weBEElieve.(y) Analysis shows that a motivated, disciplined, team first group can accomplish great things. I honestly don't know if this can be said of our squad this year, but after last year I am guardedly optimistic that we will be all this if not more. GO JACKETS.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
11-1 Regular Season
ACC Champions
Win semi-final over #1 TCU 31-24.
National Champions over Ohio State 42-38.

These are my predictions for the upcoming year:

1. The BB position will have double the number of runs that go to the house from outside 20 yards than last year.
2. We will put the ball on the ground more often on offense than last year.
3. We will get more consistent pressure on the QB, nearly doubling the number of sacks.
4. Because of number 3, we will finally realize how good our secondary is.
5. We will hit the AB running down the seam with a pass more consistently than last season. In other words, JT will find the right guy more often.
6. Perimeter blocking will take a step back for most of the season.
7. We get the ball back to our offense more conventionally this year, meaning fewer TOs and more forced punts.
8. TOP will be slanted even more in our favor than last year.
9. Butker hits a higher percentage of kicks.
10. Kick and Punt coverage will be crazy good.
11. No single receiver will establish himself as the "go to" guy.
12. LB play will be surprisingly good.
13. 3rd down conversions remain high on offense but get lowered on defense.
14. We are often referred to as one of the fastest teams in the land.
15. The OL will prove to be just as good as last year.
16. The refs, bounces of the ball, and general overall luck will be just as crazy and unpredictable as any other season, except, this time, UGAg gets none of it.

You guys decide what record that leaves us with.
8-4

I voted 12-0 but I think it's more likely 10-2. I think JT's experience will result in him making great reads behind good blocking, setting up our talented RBs/WRs for some big plays. Defenses are going to cheat towards stopping JT, and now he has the experience to burn them.
I think all in their right mind would take back-to-back 10-2 regular seasons, regardless of which two games were our losses. It would be a grand achievement for our program.

I agree with the sentiments above. I think the thing that makes this year so exciting is that someone could make a legitimate case for GT as a playoff team (undefeated or one loss). Everyone on the board acknowledges that we can compete with EVERY team on our schedule. We aren't scared of anybody. Sure, the bounces could go the wrong way, the injury bug could hit us in all the wrong places, and we could end up 7-5. But, just the fact that we can look at our team as it stand today (some two weeks before toe meets leather) and say, "It is not unreasonable to see this team go all the way," is a huge blessing and makes this season one full of anticipation and fun.

We have a contender. Now lets play ball and see what happens. Whether we are 7-5 or 15-0 at the end, I'll still be cheering for the jackets!
No, it is unreasonable to think any team, whether it is Georgia Tech, Alabama, FSU or Ohio State, will run the table. So much has to go your way to pull that off. I agree we should be favored in 9 or ten games, and there's nobody we can't take down if the wind is right. But we lost two games last year when we were the better team in all respects. And we beat a couple of teams with some help from the football gods. Let's play!!!

wesleyd21

Georgia Tech Fan
Can we really win a National Championship with this crop of receivers? Pretty obvious they are probably our weakest position group on offense. Micheal Summers is our #1 WR? What has he done in the last 2 seasons to make you think he's gonna light it up this year?

The receivers are the only thing holding us back. That's why I predicted 9-3. Put Smelter on this year's group and I'd say we have a legitimate shot to win it all. If someone steps up as our go-to guy, then we'll be in for a VERY special season. Kind of disappointed we haven't heard anything out of Antonio Messick. CPJ made a slightly disparaging remark about him about a week or so back. Kid has all the tools but might not have his head screwed on straight.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Can we really win a National Championship with this crop of receivers? Pretty obvious they are probably our weakest position group on offense. Micheal Summers is our #1 WR? What has he done in the last 2 seasons to make you think he's gonna light it up this year?

The receivers are the only thing holding us back. That's why I predicted 9-3. Put Smelter on this year's group and I'd say we have a legitimate shot to win it all. If someone steps up as our go-to guy, then we'll be in for a VERY special season. Kind of disappointed we haven't heard anything out of Antonio Messick. CPJ made a slightly disparaging remark about him about a week or so back. Kid has all the tools but might not have his head screwed on straight.

Summers caught most everything thrown his way. He adjusted to throws well. He broke off routes to bail out qb. He blocked well.

The two guys ahead of him were drafted intovnfl.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

what did Waller do?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm not scared of anybody on our schedule but some of you guys trying to convince yourselves we have a cakewalk to the playoffs are delusional. Just about every game is gonna be a dogfight. Four of our opponents are ranked in the top 12 in the nation by ESPN. Then there's Miami, VT and UNC, all with more than enough talent to make our day long and bad. After last year, I wouldn't count out Duke, either.

I love the enthusiasm, hate the schedule bashing. We have a tough row to hoe, no doubt about it.