What's your game plan to beat UGA?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know the chances are slim but I don't think they are explosive on offense (funny how I say that as I haven't seen them play one single minute of football but I don't hear anyone on other games talk about guys they had in the past like Chubb, Michel, AJ Greene, etc.) We have to play slow and move the chains sometimes. And hope for rmultiple turnovers. I know the talking heads here and elsewhere thought our D would be exposed as frauds against the UNC juggernaut yesterday. Let's hope for another stout showing this coming Saturday.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Limit their offensive possessions. Tell kick and punt returners to go crazy. Use the same disguised coverage packages we used against UNC. Kick off through thr endzone and punt out of bounds. Anytime we have an opportunity to score, even if only 3 points, take it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
uga is the #4 offense in the nation per OFEI prior to Saturday. UNC is #9. For comparison, Ole Miss is #7, FSU is #13, UCF is #20, Duke is #37, Clemson is #42, Pitt is #66, Miami is #93, UVA is #104, and VT is #110. We are #111.

uga is the #1 defense in the nation per DFEI prior to Saturday. Clemson is #17, Pitt is #21, FSU is #36, UVA is #43, UCF is #52, Miami is #59, Ole Miss is #65, VT is #73, Duke is #77, and UNC is #118. We are #50.

(Wins in BOLD)

What I see is a team capable of keeping a game close against mid tier Offenses with an occasional outlier like the UNC game. Our only win against a top D came against Pitt, who was missing their top two DTs and a starting DE for our game. They were also missing a starter on offense IIRC.

We would need to maximize the turnovers and play flawlessly on offense to have a chance against uga. We need to dial up whatever will work against the relentless DL presence in our backfield that will be the uga DL. I'm an eternal optimist, but I don't see much that points to this game being close.

200.gif

Maybe 1 chance in a 1000 we win Saturday...

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

maybe just a smidgen of a chance

slugboy

Staff member
If I was doing the planning, I’d have watched the Kent State and Missouri game films last week and Kentucky game film yesterday, or had a set of grad assistants do it. They had some of the better games against UGA. Unfortunately, Kent State was probably closer because UGA slept on game prep for them. I’d also take the chart of our tendencies and make sure not to follow that the first quarter of COFH, because UGA has already charted that and they’re keying on the swing pass to the running back. I’m pretty sure there are a couple of tells that we’ve been giving off on offense and defense, and UGA will know them all.

Our RBs aren’t going to outrun their LBs—or not by much. Dancing in the backfield = tackle for loss. We really have to practice turning the ball upfield quickly. It’s like playing Miami, but bigger, faster, and more disciplined.

Even after we did OK in the punt game against UNC, we almost can’t punt against UGA, and we should put as many punts out of bounds as we can (or close to it). They will be coming for the punt or planning the big return, and they’re more dangerous than any of the teams we’ve played.

We need to put the kickoff through the end zone.

I’d reorder the progression for the QBs; if you’re our #3 target, get ready to see the ball a lot.

The one advantage we have on offense is that we know where the play is going. Run the plays at full speed and get there first. Swap out your hardest runners so they can catch their breath.

Figure out who can be the blindside blocker, even on running plays. Miami burned us there, and UGA will try to get sacks and run blitz a lot.

Use the same playbook you’ve used all year, but run it faster. Burn what time you can off of the play clock.

Concentrate on a couple of things—making the catch over thinking about where you’re going to run, and working towards the first down each and every play. Hold onto the ball.

I have no idea what to do for blitzes. They haven’t worked well. Our sacks have come more from individual effort.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Offensively Hope we get our 3 interior line starters back, can’t do anything if we can’t block, but even with them would still be a massive feat. Another problem is I think Long and Key maximized Gibson’s and Puma’s strengths against UNC and that’s on tape for uga so they wil be sitting on screens and passes to flats. We need to be able to hit some deep passes to backup their safeties cause I don’t recall us doing that against UNC. Though doubt our oline could hold up or QBs be able to make those throws. Defensively staff needs to watch Missouri and Kentucky tape and see what we could replicate with our personnel and add some of our own twists to contain them offensively. An analogy I heard as a player that stuck with me was a coach told us to play like asylum patients, those people are crazy and take multiple strong men to hold them down, play with reckless abandon for 5 seconds and do it again every play. If we play with that intensity the whole game we would have a shot.

slugboy

Staff member
We can’t be shut out our last two games this year ;) We are already playing better at this time this year than we were last year, even though we’re down our top two QBs.

Show the players the original 1976 Rocky and get them ready to prep hard for a week.
(If you haven’t seen it, you should watch it. It’s really a great movie. It’s also a time capsule from the 1970’s)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We can’t be shut out our last two games this year ;) We are already playing better at this time this year than we were last year, even though we’re down our top two QBs.

Show the players the original 1976 Rocky and get them ready to prep hard for a week.
(If you haven’t seen it, you should watch it. It’s really a great movie. It’s also a time capsule from the 1970’s)

agility drills

1668991239857.png

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

Rocky lost in Rocky I, but point taken.

Dottie1145

Helluva Engineer
I know the chances are slim but I don't think they are explosive on offense (funny how I say that as I haven't seen them play one single minute of football but I don't hear anyone on other games talk about guys they had in the past like Chubb, Michel, AJ Greene, etc.) We have to play slow and move the chains sometimes. And hope for rmultiple turnovers. I know the talking heads here and elsewhere thought our D would be exposed as frauds against the UNC juggernaut yesterday. Let's hope for another stout showing this coming Saturday.
They have arguably the 2 biggest freaks in the country at TE. Other than that, they have a good scheme where someone always ends up wide open to make Stetsons life really easy. They have IMO the best Offensive line in the nation, and their Defense is the best in the country by a wide margin. They have an improved secondary with guys like Kelee Ringo, Kamari Lassiter, Malaki Starks and Chris Smith, all of these guys will be day one picks when they get drafted.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
How to beat the spread of 35:
I have every confidence in our game plan and attitude. We should expect to beat that spread. Keep the turnovers down. Move the ball. Disguise the stunts. Play the two-headed QB tandem. Need Nate back and the OL’s. Oh, and pray.