What's up with the LB's?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Yeah, I didn't even notice JHD lost his starting spot until I rewatched the Syracuse game and saw Harrell light some folks up. That dude looked like Ted Roof out there. HATE that he's lost for the year ... just tragic that it would happen right as he's getting his opportunity to shine ... hurts for us too.

So, can somebody shed some light on JHD? He had looked the part last year, but I had noticed him becoming more of a liability out there for us. What's the deal with him?

Heard Coach say Dan and Jabari will compete for the starting spot. Hate to say this, but that is NOT encouraging to put it as nice as I can.

What about sliding Nealy to MLB and keeping Davis at OLB in his spot? That might be the best way to get our best 11 defenders on the field now.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Could be that JHD is injury limited or is having trouble getting back on the "horse" after injury. This may also be in combination with the lack practice in missing spring ball. Finally, he may have needed to be pushed for effort by loosing his starting spot.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Crazy that JHD made the freshman AA team and Kiper has him as a first rounder when he decides to come out. Had he had a great season this year he might have entered the draft

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I will say one thing about JHD...He is a great teammate. He wished nothing but the best for Harrell last week and even said "As long as we are winning, I am down for whatever"

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think Jabari has been slow recovering from his shoulder repair this past off season. I think he is still playing tentative with a concern for re-injuring himself. He just needs to let it all hang out. Hopefully he will. He was our best linebacker at the end of last year and was laying the wood in the bowl game. He has the ability he just needs to regain his confidence.

Go Jackets!

ToddM

Jerry hit it.

Prior to the Syracuse game CTR said he was gonna give some other kids the chance to play because he wasn't seeing 100% effort from some on every play. It may indeed be b/c of his shoulder but I think CTR was calling out JHD without saying his name publicly.

I know Harrell put on a show before he got hurt but damn I like JHD and I hope he can regain his confidence and form hitting.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
Jerry hit it.

Prior to the Syracuse game CTR said he was gonna give some other kids the chance to play because he wasn't seeing 100% effort from some on every play. It may indeed be b/c of his shoulder but I think CTR was calling out JHD without saying his name publicly.

I know Harrell put on a show before he got hurt but damn I like JHD and I hope he can regain his confidence and form hitting.
as do we all

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My guess is JHD has been missing too many assignments. CPJ said in his presser "we don't need ground pounders and helmet hitters." Those are guys who make mental mistakes that take themselves out of plays.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
The 10/24/13 Depth Chart is showing Hunt-Days at ILB backed up by Drummond. Also has Thomas at Safety.
Kallon is showing as back up to Cummings at DT again. Positive sign for him. Don't need 4* recruits sitting.

The Ol has Jackson, Braun, Finch, Mason and Chamberlain across the front.

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow
The 10/24/13 Depth Chart is showing Hunt-Days at ILB backed up by Drummond. Also has Thomas at Safety.
Kallon is showing as back up to Cummings at DT again. Positive sign for him. Don't need 4* recruits sitting.

The Ol has Jackson, Braun, Finch, Mason and Chamberlain across the front.

Get over the stars... Yeah CPJ purposely sits the best players on the bench because he wants to lose his job by losing games.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Did not mention CPJ in my comment Tempest_12.

Kallon has been sitting because he has not shown the intensity/ability to play in a game. Hopefully he has turned that corner and we will have a 4* on the field instead of on the bench. This is his second week on the depth chart.

Apology accepted.

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
Is it just me or does PJ look a lot like Julian Burnette out there? I really think they gave #40 to the right guy.
I've always pulled for PJ and love how aggressive and hard he goes every play. Leading up to the season I knew he would fit CTR style of play, watching the freshman do up downs in one of those videos he was beside Custis, Custis was worn out and PJ was yelling and goin full speed at the end. Speaks volumes for the kid and think he will be a big asset to the LB corps for years to come.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
A guy called in to Dave Archers show (he did the color on our last 2 games) and commented on the physicality of the defense now.

Archer said our LBs look like Bamas getting off the bus.