What's the loudest you've ever heard Bobby Dodd Stadium?

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
We sure this isn't an inside job from the NCAA? Trying to nickel and dime us at every chance they can get!

source.gif

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Some of these games are hard to forget, not only because of the win, but because of the atmosphere. I'll offer an initial top 3. Watching these highlights gave me chills all over again.
  • 2009 vs. Virginia Tech - "All the way turnt up!". My 2 cents... this was the loudest game from end the end that I can remember.

• 2016 vs. Florida State - "Kick 6". One of the loudest, most exhilarating single moments during my tenure as a GT fan.

• 2006 vs. Maryland - Michael Johnson saves sacks the day. Sweet relief, kind of like Cooper Taylor's forced fumble vs. FSU which is an honorable mention for me. This one was nuts for a few game-saving downs.

What else you got?

Yep, VT in 09 was probably the loudest (somewhat because of night game sound carry) , this is in over 60 yrs of watching

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Yep, VT in 09 was probably the loudest (somewhat because of night game sound carry) , this is in over 60 yrs of watching
Could be. It was really loud that night. It was one of those games that was loud from beginning to end. It started out loud and got louder if you know what I mean. The North Stands were actually shaking at least where I was. I may be wrong but it may have been the game that I don't think I sat down even once.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
VT 09’ was loudest GT game ever I have been, the loudest college game I have been too, and the second loudest game I have ever attended. I have been to big rival games at UGA and Tennessee against other SEC competition that was loud but not as loud as VT game. Proof that Bobby Dodd can get as loud or louder than the best of them.

#1 game was 2016 Falcons playoff win over Seahawks in what was thought to be the last game ever at the dome (nobody in entire dome sat down the entire game). I am sure some here went to that game as well. Many of the players said it was the loudest game they ever played in; and everyone said it was loudest game ever played in the stadium.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It happened in the 1979 Auburn game. If it happened against Clemson in any other year, I didn't see it happen.
Trust me, it happened against Clemson as well and was the subject of an idiotic WSB TV editorial about good sportsmanship and how Tech should not allow the Rats on the field to prevent further "incidents". It was much ado over nothing but at least they did not chase the "Southern Gentleman" Clemson used to have as a secondary mascot.

Animal02

Banned
Trust me, it happened against Clemson as well and was the subject of an idiotic WSB TV editorial about good sportsmanship and how Tech should not allow the Rats on the field to prevent further "incidents". It was much ado over nothing but at least they did not chase the "Southern Gentleman" Clemson used to have as a secondary mascot.
If it did, it would have had to be before '78. Tech did not play Clemp while I was there. (Why I don't get the Clemp rivalry)
A couple of years after I got there, they banned the rats on the field.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

To be honest it did become a problem. And after the Rats chased down the Citadel mascot (and he was injured) it started the move to not let them on the field.

Other schools started talking about " wait until the next time you drive the Wreck on our field and see what happens."

Wasn't a good look - unless ugag of course.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
To be honest it did become a problem. And after the Rats chased down the Citadel mascot (and he was injured) it started the move to not let them on the field.

Other schools started talking about " wait until the next time you drive the Wreck on our field and see what happens."

Wasn't a good look - unless ugag of course.

What is The Citadel's mascot? A bulldog, maybe? Was the injury to a real bull dog or just a student in a bull dog costume? The Rats should not have been chasing anyone but I see no reason to have kept them off the field for the team entrance.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
If it did, it would have had to be before '78. Tech did not play Clemp while I was there. (Why I don't get the Clemp rivalry)

I think it may have happened before Pepper, about 72 or 73. The Clemson rivalry was partly the result of Coach Frank Howard and Coach Dodd having a good relationship and the need Clemson had during the 1950s and early 1960s for a money maker game that would be easy for their fans to attend, hence the Tech game. My recollection is that they did not get Tech to go to Memorial Stadium until sometime in the 1970s. To be sure, their main rival is South Carolina but we are probably second. All the more reason to start improving our program to the point where we can be competitive with the Tigers again.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Could be. It was really loud that night. It was one of those games that was loud from beginning to end. It started out loud and got louder if you know what I mean. The North Stands were actually shaking at least where I was. I may be wrong but it may have been the game that I don't think I sat down even once.

It WAS shaking.I actually got a bit concerned with the strength of the infrastructure.
I never remember a continuous noise like that there.

Southpawmac

Helluva Engineer
VT 09’ was loudest GT game ever I have been, the loudest college game I have been too, and the second loudest game I have ever attended. I have been to big rival games at UGA and Tennessee against other SEC competition that was loud but not as loud as VT game. Proof that Bobby Dodd can get as loud or louder than the best of them.

#1 game was 2016 Falcons playoff win over Seahawks in what was thought to be the last game ever at the dome (nobody in entire dome sat down the entire game). I am sure some here went to that game as well. Many of the players said it was the loudest game they ever played in; and everyone said it was loudest game ever played in the stadium.
I was at both games as well. That Falcons game was insanely loud.

In addition to many games (some isolated, some series) before 1962. Tech played Clemson every year from 1962 till and including 1977 and then every year since 1983. Tech leads the series 50-31- 2