Whatever happened to Randy Gay?

northgajacket

Banned
I was watching the 1985 COFH game and during halftime TBS did a segment on a GT recruit from Lowndes HS named Randy Gay who was in a brutal car accident that left him in a coma. I tried to research his story but could not find anything. I figured he never played football again but did he still attend Ga Tech?

Thanks in advance

HHPshack

Georgia Tech Fan
I grew up in Valdosta and as a Lowndes grad (78) and GT fan I was looking forward to his time on the flats. My memory has faded but I do know that as a 12 year old he went out to San Diego I think and won the NFL punt pass and kick contest. He was the starting QB as freshman for Lowndes the year after they had won thier first state title in 1980. The kid had a cannon of an arm. I believe Curry honored his scholarship and he attended GT for some period of time. I worked with his mother in law back in the 90's and again if my memory is correct he had retuned to Valdosta and had an education degree from Valdosta State and was a middle school teacher/coach at the time. I remember her saying that he still had some compilations/issues from the accident. Mostly short term memory and ability to stay focused on a task as I recall. Again this was mid 90's so no idea where he might be today. When I first heard about the Jaylend Ratliff (sp) accident Randy Gay immediately came to mind. Substitute a car accident for a ATV accident and the end results are very similar.

northgajacket

Banned
I grew up in Valdosta and as a Lowndes grad (78) and GT fan I was looking forward to his time on the flats. My memory has faded but I do know that as a 12 year old he went out to San Diego I think and won the NFL punt pass and kick contest. He was the starting QB as freshman for Lowndes the year after they had won thier first state title in 1980. The kid had a cannon of an arm. I believe Curry honored his scholarship and he attended GT for some period of time. I worked with his mother in law back in the 90's and again if my memory is correct he had retuned to Valdosta and had an education degree from Valdosta State and was a middle school teacher/coach at the time. I remember her saying that he still had some compilations/issues from the accident. Mostly short term memory and ability to stay focused on a task as I recall. Again this was mid 90's so no idea where he might be today. When I first heard about the Jaylend Ratliff (sp) accident Randy Gay immediately came to mind. Substitute a car accident for a ATV accident and the end results are very similar.

Thanks for the info

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I was 4 years younger than Randy but won the local Pass, Punt, and Kick competition for my age group the year he also did...he went on to win the National competition for his age group. He was a great athlete and had an incredible arm. He started all 4 years at LHS and was a rare talent and excellent drop back quarterback with very good size. I remember the summer he got in the accident and was in a coma...our FCA group prayed for him all summer. It was a shock and very sad for the Valdosta area. The above poster listed the same that I had heard after the accident. Not sure where Randy is today. He also had a great reputation as a smart Christian kid who did not have any troubles off the field. It was a very unfortunate accident...he would have been a good one at GT.