What Wrinkle will CPJ Throw In?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
who knows, but I do know since ND plays Navy each year and niamantulolo doesn't like nd and is CPJ friend...there will be plenty of coach share, tape and ideas for this one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Possibly on special teams, don't think he's played at DE or OLB. I'm just talking about possible surprises. It wouldn't surprise me if CPJ and Roof have been hiding some personnel packages. But I could be totally wrong.

Whitehead subbed some on STs and at DE late in both games with the backups.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I am not knowledgeable enough to appreciate the wrinkles CPJ may implement. I fancy myself logical enough to think that there was a reason for the triple option being used to run short side a couple of times with the three wideouts, and to think that the reason for that lineup had nothing to do with the first drive of the Tulane game, and more to do with the future. So, I would not be surprised to see a wrinkle or 2, 3 or 4, sequentially as adjustments are made defensively, using that formation. Or not.

Watch last year's Navy game vs ND. Navy ran that with some success against ND. So CPJ is showing them the optics of what Navy did. The simple answer is because it works against ND's non-typical alignment, or maybe it's just optics with a rope-a-dope coming?

/

GlennW

Helluva Engineer
I wouldn't be surprised to see us go with an Irregular Set on our Offensive Line or stack our WR's on the same side; something "heavy" to provide additional blockers to one side on jet sweeps or wheel routes when they aren't expecting them.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was thinking the same thing. Although I was thinking that we haven't seen a draw play with JeT so far, either.

Boy, with JeT and this OL, we really have the whole playbook at our disposal.

We called at least one draw for JT but Tulane's line closed down the lane.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
I think you guys are overthinking the formation shifts in Tulane game.

If CPJ adds a wrinkle to the Tulane game because of the ND game, that's essentially saying that he thinks ND could defend the base offense if they were able to focus on it full time. Given that he's run the same offense for 20-some years now, I don't think that's a concern of Paul's.

I would imagine that we'll see plenty of the trips formation all year long and Tulane was an opportunity for guys to get some game action with it against an FBS opponent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To be honest, I don't think we need any "wrinkles." Just play them hard and fast doing what we do best. There have been a few times when Johnson has outsmarted himself by putting in "wrinkles" that he really didn't need.
Well, maybe, but we are not talking about whole sale changes and we are certainly not talking about gimmicks. As I understood the discussion question, CPJ tends to throw in something the opposing team has not seen before. Several years back he did that with a wheel route to the B-back. Once the fans started calling for it we did not see it much. The wrinkles are based on anticipating how the other team has schemed against the offense. CPJ has proven himself to be a pretty good predictor of what other teams are going to throw at us.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see a toss to marshall and then him throw it down field or even run the option and have marshall a little deeper than normal and have jt pitch it then marshall throw it down field...

Like that play to start he Louisville vs. Auburn game? ...gotta be careful having true freshmen run trick plays. Even when they're told not to throw it if it isn't there, they tend to just chuck it up and pray.

I'm hoping we don't have to do much different. If our o-line blocks the way it's capable of then we should be able to produce some nice long drives with our base stuff and just play keep away.

Very excited and very nervous about Saturday...

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
To me, the offensive key to this game will be can the WR's and AB's block well these better athletes on the perimeter, and can our O line provide enough pass protection against ND's front line to give JT time to find the open A-back/WR when we have to pass, and we will have to pass more in this game, IMO.

On D, we need to create some turnovers if possible. I am hoping our seasoned DB's can "lure" the new QB into some poor decisions, but we will see. I don't expect we can get much of a pass rush without using the LB's some, and it may be a feast or famine kind of game in regards to the pass rush.

I would not be surpised to see either the sprint draw to a screen pass to the B-back, especially when MM is in the game.

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Load Option possibly? Thoughts?
Skov should be a MONSTER on the load option. With his physical strength and experience blocking as a traditional fullback at Stanford he'd be fantastic rolling out and leading the way for Justin Thomas and an A-back.

I love how Anthony Allen takes out one Dawg directly and two more indirectly in this clip:

RocketJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
If Notre Dame comes out in the same defense they used against Navy last year, I'd expect there to be some slant routes/something that attacks the soft area in between the corners and the single high safety. They won't be able to cover everything keeping that many LBs and Safeties close to the LOS