What would your VT game plan be?

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I'd look at what tOSU did in the 4th Quarter during their comeback. They ran some counter option stuff out of the passing formation pretty well. We'd have to establish the pass first, but they can be gashed, both on the ground and in the air.

Big Philly

Jolly Good Fellow
Rather than predicting a score what would be your play calling be?

I think if VT plays us like last year we will hit the edges hard. Run at the edge with quick pitches (towards the side where pressure comes from) when pressure comes. Use motion from the slot WR spot to throw off the VT blitz timing. Test the one on one coverages with some quick throws.

As stylee said in his post today the OLB would blitz into tail motion. In essence what VT did was use the "Easy Stunt" as their base defense. The "Easy Stunt," or the Cross Charge as steebu has called it on his YouTube videos, has the OLB take the B-Gap/B-Back and the DE take the C-Gap/QB.

In steebu's video Miami is running this call very slowly, while VT's defense ran this concept as a blitz. Paul Johnson calls this the "Easy Stunt" because its theoretically it's really easy to read. If running the Inside Veer play, the proper read is to make a quick pitch.

I believe Bud Foster reasoned that Vad Lee was not a very strong option QB and that if we did run the Inside Veer into this call, then VT could either tackle Vad for a loss or force a bad pitch for a big loss or a turnover. I suspect he did not think he would run into crisp, quick pitches and A-Backs running free. When not running the Inside Veer the blitzes would disrupt our inside zone series and more importantly our counter trap series. His base defense basically said that running a counter trap/option would give you a linebacker running straight through the pulling guard.

I think Paul Johnson has put a little early preparation into this scenario as we ran the Outside Veer against Wofford a few times. This should lead to a linebacker blitzing straight into blocks and then an easy read of the DE. I think there is a good possibility that VT does not use this base blitz scheme again because... Justin Thomas is really, really fast when he pulls the ball from the B-Back and he is a huge threat to rip off explosive runs. Armchair DC'ing this it seems that it would be wiser to have slower, difficult reads than fast, easy reads. Against Vad Lee you would probably want him to force him to keep once you saw him making indecisive cuts and bizarre decisions to cut back. Justin Thomas is going to fly to the sideline, not dance in the alley, so I would want the ball out of his hands. It might be a 2011/2012 Georgia situation where they intentionally weaken the middle of their formation and reason that they can beat us in a slugfest in the trenches instead of try to get fancy.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It might be a 2011/2012 Georgia situation where they intentionally weaken the middle of their formation and reason that they can beat us in a slugfest in the trenches instead of try to get fancy.
Might be good to rotate Laskey and Synjyn if that happens, keep them Bbacks fresh the whole game and just bludgeon them to death up the gut. Nothing better than gutting a defense over and over like a giant tuna on a Florida fishin' boat!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
As stylee said in his post today the OLB would blitz into tail motion. In essence what VT did was use the "Easy Stunt" as their base defense. The "Easy Stunt," or the Cross Charge as steebu has called it on his YouTube videos, has the OLB take the B-Gap/B-Back and the DE take the C-Gap/QB.

In steebu's video Miami is running this call very slowly, while VT's defense ran this concept as a blitz. Paul Johnson calls this the "Easy Stunt" because its theoretically it's really easy to read. If running the Inside Veer play, the proper read is to make a quick pitch.

I believe Bud Foster reasoned that Vad Lee was not a very strong option QB and that if we did run the Inside Veer into this call, then VT could either tackle Vad for a loss or force a bad pitch for a big loss or a turnover. I suspect he did not think he would run into crisp, quick pitches and A-Backs running free. When not running the Inside Veer the blitzes would disrupt our inside zone series and more importantly our counter trap series. His base defense basically said that running a counter trap/option would give you a linebacker running straight through the pulling guard.

I think Paul Johnson has put a little early preparation into this scenario as we ran the Outside Veer against Wofford a few times. This should lead to a linebacker blitzing straight into blocks and then an easy read of the DE. I think there is a good possibility that VT does not use this base blitz scheme again because... Justin Thomas is really, really fast when he pulls the ball from the B-Back and he is a huge threat to rip off explosive runs. Armchair DC'ing this it seems that it would be wiser to have slower, difficult reads than fast, easy reads. Against Vad Lee you would probably want him to force him to keep once you saw him making indecisive cuts and bizarre decisions to cut back. Justin Thomas is going to fly to the sideline, not dance in the alley, so I would want the ball out of his hands. It might be a 2011/2012 Georgia situation where they intentionally weaken the middle of their formation and reason that they can beat us in a slugfest in the trenches instead of try to get fancy.

Excellent contribution. Question for you and/or @steebu and/or @stylee or anyone else with an idea to share: Did you see any of VPI v tOSU? The commentators quoted Bud Foster as saying they were running the D they prepared to counter us. I was wondering if any differences jump out from what they've done before.