What would your VT game plan be?

johncu

Jolly Good Fellow
Go on 2 and 3 instead of having a predictable snap count. This drives me batty when we don't adjust the snap count!

Do you not remember the 1923 false starts we had last year when we tried that against VT? It worked to draw them offsides, but it screwed us up just as bad.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Here's my game plan and I've thought about this for awhile...

We've got to have more points than them at the end of the game. I've done the math several times in this scenario and I've yet to find a way in which we lose the game if we do this.;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The question was "what I would do?" That's probably far from anything CPJ has in mind. Don't listen to the show since he exudes an air exasperation with the process of talking to GT fans.

Awesome post. You managed to exude an air of exasperation with the process of talking to GT fans in this forum while saying that's what CPJ does. I really got your point. Thanks.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
The question was "what I would do?" That's probably far from anything CPJ has in mind. Don't listen to the show since he exudes an air exasperation with the process of talking to GT fans.
IMO, this depends more on the person asking the question than CPJ himself.

For instance, if you call in and phrase a football suggestion that you have in the form of a question, you are most likely not going to like the coach's answer because he's probably not going to say "Okay, thanks, that's a great suggestion we never thought of before. We'll implement it right away."

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I feel that CPJ is going to pull out all the stops to win this one, expecting a great game plan and play calling out of him. He's GOT to be tired of his beloved O losing the battles to Bud's D.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see a 3rd and 7 play where we line up with trips right and a 2-receiver set to the left, empty backfield and JT in the shotgun. We wouldn't even have to run the play. The D would freak out and guaranteed they'd burn a time-out, especially if we did this with a hurry-up offense. We already have the personnel on the field to do this. Talk about giving VPI something to think about.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I would love to see a 3rd and 7 play where we line up with trips right and a 2-receiver set to the left, empty backfield and JT in the shotgun. We wouldn't even have to run the play. The D would freak out and guaranteed they'd burn a time-out, especially if we did this with a hurry-up offense. We already have the personnel on the field to do this. Talk about giving VPI something to think about.

and then run a quarterback draw out of it after they put in a nickle package

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I drink only when we score a TD or we have won. So I expect a relatively sober game.

My game plan for our O would be to take what they give us - inside, outside or passing. I'd give preference to outside pitches and short passes since I think we have a lot of speed at AB and WR. I would look at bringing in the OL splits a bit if we the VT jump the line is being effective. I'd go for it on fourth a lot (like CPJ has been doing). Oh yes, I'd put Byerly in after two series. Let God sort out who is playing better.

For the D, I'd work to stop the run first till we find out whether the VT QB is hot or cold passing. I'd blitz a lot into the gaps and hope to either pressure the QB (he seems to be better with time as all are) and maybe get lucky on stuffing the run. I'd keep safety help back foro long run insurance, so I'd give up more intermediate runs.

For ST, I'd kick the ball for TBs every time and not try to get fancy. I'd let the ball go into the end zone rather than try to return it if we have a choice. For punt, do what Rodwell has been doing -- high cover-able punts of about 44 yards. As noted, I'd limit the FG attempts by going for it on fourth.

GREAT idea on taking the 25 yd line to start.Our runbacks are BAD.