What would your VT game plan be?

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
VPI is a one trick pony. We KNOW what they are going to do... Sure it's a good trick, but it's high risk.

Why is it so hard to game plan this?

Last year, our offensive decision-making was deer-in-the-headlights slow. They jammed the middle and still got numbers outside. This year we have crisp decision making and execution speed. VPI is in for a surprise because I believe JT will get the ball to the edge with consistency.

/

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Defense- Virginia Tech may actually have less talent in the offensive skill positions than Ga Southern. This may be an opportunity to put our coverage on an island and bring some pressure. I'd take the chance to reverse the big plays against them, contrary to the history of our past games.

Offense- Foster isn't a whole lot different from Tenuta to me. We need to be able to put the ball in the air and whip their corners one on one. We have better WR talent with Smelter and Waller than ECU. Don't think Thomas can compare to Carden for ECU as a passer though. Good luck. After the last 3-4 years, I don't think we're going to make our hay on the ground against VT.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
VPI is a one trick pony. We KNOW what they are going to do... Sure it's a good trick, but it's high risk.

Why is it so hard to game plan this?

Last year, our offensive decision-making was deer-in-the-headlights slow. They jammed the middle and still got numbers outside. This year we have crisp decision making and execution speed. VPI is in for a surprise because I believe JT will get the ball to the edge with consistency.

/

It's hard to stop because they have really good players on defense. Our coaches can come up with the perfect game plan, but the guys on the field have to execute and beat their guy. If they don't, the game plan means nothing.

Coaches and players all said they knew exactly what VT was bringing and practiced against it. Our guys just couldn't beat their guys on that day.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Have to vary the snap count (and not just on 4th down plays).

D has to get pressure in the back field. Need some blitzing and folks to keep their heads in the game.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Honestly, to not worry about any different formations, play calling or strategy.

Simply tell the seniors it is time to show leadership and for every player to finally grow up and man up.

To physically stop being wussy punching bags and to start dishing out some pain to our opponent.

Make this a one game season and kick the hell out of the other guy.

Course that would mean Sewak can have no contact with the team at all for this week.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
man up, blitz like hell, various blitzes too, including zone. Not simple blitzes like rush 4 then bring one LB in some obvious presnap easy to read gap...i mean bring two at the bgap, slide the line and drop the opposite DE in a zone while the S walks up where the blitzers are. Complicated stuff, that the OL can't get an easy read on.

really on O i don't have much issue up to now...just maintain the focus and intensity. but I have liked what paul has called for the most part. I would say add in the hurry up though....

dubjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Offense needs to convert 70% of third downs. Defense needs to get them off the field 60% of time on third downs.

MacDaddy2

Jolly Good Fellow
Quote from our defensive coordinator Clubber Lang, "PAIN"

3940806-clubber-lang-64743.jpg

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Rather than predicting a score what would be your play calling be?

I think if VT plays us like last year we will hit the edges hard. Run at the edge with quick pitches (towards the side where pressure comes from) when pressure comes. Use motion from the slot WR spot to throw off the VT blitz timing. Test the one on one coverages with some quick throws.
Keep the ball on offense 7-8 minutes at the time. If we go three and out 4 or more times, we probably lose.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
go to the unbalanced set and add an extra tackle on the strong side, then run weak side veer and option the end or BB to the tackle end gap, settle for the 3 to 4 yard plays and take the air out of the ball

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
go to the unbalanced set and add an extra tackle on the strong side, then run weak side veer and option the end or BB to the tackle end gap, settle for the 3 to 4 yard plays and take the air out of the ball
Tonight is the coach's call in show. I suggest you call in and make this suggestion.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Im new here, but my strategy would be to weather the storm the 1st 8 minutes. Let VT burn off all that excess energy from that atmosphere. Runs lots of that QB keeper early and see if we can get out on the edge and keep Foster out of those A-gaps. Use Waller and Smelter to keep the 8th and 9th man out of the box.

On defense, I think we've been keeping it pretty vanilla. I'd send 5-6 on every play. If you get beat, thats fine, but you've gotta get some serious pressure...

Rather than predicting a score what would be your play calling be?

I think if VT plays us like last year we will hit the edges hard. Run at the edge with quick pitches (towards the side where pressure comes from) when pressure comes. Use motion from the slot WR spot to throw off the VT blitz timing. Test the one on one coverages with some quick throws.
Getting Waller and Andrews back helped. How bad is Perkins hurt? It is developing that this will be a game that we will have to score 35 point or more to win.