What would you do about our coach?

What would you do about our Coach?

• Fire him this year and pay the huge buyout (we would have to hire a cheap replacement)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Evaluate him after next year(smaller buyout but still large)

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Evaluate him in 2 years

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Evaluate him in 3+ years

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Its the program not the coach

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Promote Roof to HC at some point

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

flounder

Jolly Good Fellow
Look, you obviously know more about this than I do, but you have to admit that practicing against our o-line didn't seem to hurt Attaochu any.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
I would say his success was "in spite Of" more than "because of ."

Personally I feel like I would get better practicing my pass rush techniques against the likes of Jon Carmen, Craig page, Brent key, and Chris brown vs ray Beno and crew.

I would also prefer to practice against tight ends and big tackles, "EAT" blocks, etc instead of triple option schemes that I won't see at all during the season.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
For the most part I like CPJ and would like to see him continue his career at Tech -- all the way through retirement (if he takes it up a notch and establishes a winning tradition). He graduates his players and seems like a good coach on many different levels. It's not often you see coaches stick around like a Dodd, Dooley, Beamer or Bowden, etc. It would be great to see that type of longevity again at Tech like in days past, and not have the Tech head coaching position be a revolving door job.

Equally important to the coaching question, the Hill should understand what it is they've been entrusted with regarding Tech's athletic program. They seem to understand the importance of academics and research, but to neglect such a storied athletic program with its rich traditions and history is -- at least in some measure -- a practical neglect of their leadership responsibilities.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
For the most part I like CPJ and would like to see him continue his career at Tech -- all the way through retirement (if he takes it up a notch and establishes a winning tradition). He graduates his players and seems like a good coach on many different levels. It's not often you see coaches stick around like a Dodd, Dooley, Beamer or Bowden, etc. It would be great to see that type of longevity again at Tech like in days past, and not have the Tech head coaching position be a revolving door job.

Equally important to the coaching question, the Hill should understand what it is they've been entrusted with regarding Tech's athletic program. They seem to understand the importance of academics and research, but to neglect such a storied athletic program with its rich traditions and history is -- at least in some measure -- a practical neglect of their leadership responsibilities.

My gawd, I was having the same conversation with some folks less than an hour ago! One of the things we talked about is the possibility that MBob anbd CPJ had or are going to have a conversation something like this.............As coach I have gotten the program to a consistent, competitive level while graduating my players, not short cutting the team or the coaches but if you want me to get the program where we both want it to be you as the AD are going to have to get the powers to be to untie my hands. Give me the means to get better players into the program and I can get this team where it can go. If I get additional exceptions and don't graduate them, then I'll take the hit. If you can open the doors to additional academic opportunities and I don't succeed to the level we want, then I'll take the hit. I'm not asking to turn Ga Tech into a bring 'em, used 'em up and let 'em go program but we need to level the playing field as much as realistically possible and still go about the mission of Ga Tech. If MBob can accomplish this then I feel CPJ can and will succeed at Ga Tech!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
My gawd, I was having the same conversation with some folks less than an hour ago! One of the things we talked about is the possibility that MBob anbd CPJ had or are going to have a conversation something like this.............As coach I have gotten the program to a consistent, competitive level while graduating my players, not short cutting the team or the coaches but if you want me to get the program where we both want it to be you as the AD are going to have to get the powers to be to untie my hands. Give me the means to get better players into the program and I can get this team where it can go. If I get additional exceptions and don't graduate them, then I'll take the hit. If you can open the doors to additional academic opportunities and I don't succeed to the level we want, then I'll take the hit. I'm not asking to turn Ga Tech into a bring 'em, used 'em up and let 'em go program but we need to level the playing field as much as realistically possible and still go about the mission of Ga Tech. If MBob can accomplish this then I feel CPJ can and will succeed at Ga Tech!

Oh how I hope this conversation will or has happened.

Ben Jones

Georgia Tech Fan
I would say his success was "in spite Of" more than "because of ."

Personally I feel like I would get better practicing my pass rush techniques against the likes of Jon Carmen, Craig page, Brent key, and Chris brown vs ray Beno and crew.

I would also prefer to practice against tight ends and big tackles, "EAT" blocks, etc instead of triple option schemes that I won't see at all during the season.

Nate, I love your tenacity. I truly wish you were on the coaching staff so we could have some nastiness and mean streaks in our boys. Never will forget Pettigut from ND saying you spit on him...I Loved it! We need more like you, Uremivich, Claybrooks, etc. type players on our team. I actually think Gotsis is kind of in that mold.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
An even better question is, why should they? Why should they pay because of someone else's mistake?[/quo. te] Agreed. If the contract was for a raise or one yr extension we would be better off.That extension hurts yet remember we gave Chan añd Hewitt a golden parachute so it must have been the norm st tech.My point has been this....why do we not learn from history? Young guys don't like the good ole daydream but in the day were we not better fundamentally on tackling and blocking? Were we not more agressiveon defense!did we not
.....if the fundamentals worked then bet it would work now..youhsve to learn from your mistakes as well as your success.evidently we didn't do this with coaching contracts.