What would you do about our coach?

What would you do about our Coach?

• Fire him this year and pay the huge buyout (we would have to hire a cheap replacement)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Evaluate him after next year(smaller buyout but still large)

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Evaluate him in 2 years

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Evaluate him in 3+ years

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Its the program not the coach

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Promote Roof to HC at some point

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree with this completely. I believe he is driven to succeed from an internal motivation, not from fear of being fired. However, I am not sure that motivation is enough to overcome his resistance to change. College football is evolving and PJ isn't.

His motivation went away about the same time that he got a 7 year fully guaranteed contract with pay in the top 20 of college coaching. He gets paid whether he wins or loses.

Jimbo Fisher just signed a 5 year deal. We'd give him an evergreen Hewitt style contract for playing for the NC.

I never will understand why contracts aren't tied to results. It's a competitive game. If a coach won't tie his compensation to results, he's not the competitor that I want as my coach.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
I have decided to refrain from entering any additional posts or replies regarding Paul Johnson and the Tech situation. I am sure the big boostes are totally aware of the entire situation and will handle it as they are the only ones who really matter in this situation. They will either decide to keep Johnson for another year or make a move. I have said all I am going to say about it. Now, on to recruiting and discussing Tech football without Vad Lee and our options for next year.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
100% agree with you Boomer. It really surprises me sometimes the number of comments I see where our fans think that CPJ is purposefully trying to lose games and is just doing this to collect the paycheck.

I apologize if my comments give off that impression. I'm admittedly not a fan of CPJ's offense and would like to see us make a change, but at no point have I ever thought the man wasn't incredibly competitive. By all accounts, he is one of the most competitive people around.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Yep
I have decided to refrain from entering any additional posts or replies regarding Paul Johnson and the Tech situation. I am sure the big boostes are totally aware of the entire situation and will handle it as they are the only ones who really matter in this situation. They will either decide to keep Johnson for another year or make a move. I have said all I am going to say about it. Now, on to recruiting and discussing Tech football without Vad Lee and our options for next year.
Yep the powers to be pay little attention to old folks like us.......money still runs the tech show.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
....It really surprises me sometimes the number of comments I see where our fans think that CPJ is purposefully trying to lose games and is just doing this to collect the paycheck.

I am curious to see examples of where someone thinks PJ is trying to lose games.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I am curious to see examples of where someone thinks PJ is trying to lose games.
I see no clue at PJ wanting to lose games but......I do think is energy has dropped off the last few years.Not so sure money has anything to do with it but its clear he is comfortable with his position and who knows inside his head but I am sure he wants to win to show folks the option will work in the big time.I just see no real progress from year to year.Hope I am wrong.

Yellow Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Please get a new head coach
Paul "6 to 7 losses a year" Johnson is a disaster, whose latest results is that of running off a good player like Vad Lee
His offense has averaged 14 points in his bowl games at GA TECH--really a tell tale sign of what he & his system is not

decatur jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Interesting stat about 2013:

Of our 10 regular season FBS opponents, only 1 (UVA) ended the season with a loosing record. Everyone else went to bowl games somewhere. I looked back (stopped in the 70's) but I could not find another year where this was the case. This could be partly to the fact that we had 2 FCS opponents, as the other would likely have been a cupcake FBS program, but it is also indicative of the level of competition within the ACC.

CPJ has been here 6 seasons and lost 4, 3, 7, 5, 7, & 6 games respectively. Not sure how that equates to, "6 to 7 losses a year," but I am sure my math is wrong...

Mack

Helluva Engineer

Of our 10 regular season FBS opponents, only 1 (UVA) ended the season with a loosing record. Everyone else went to bowl games somewhere. I looked back (stopped in the 70's) but I could not find another year where this was the case. This could be partly to the fact that we had 2 FCS opponents, as the other would likely have been a cupcake FBS program, but it is also indicative of the level of competition within the ACC.

CPJ has been here 6 seasons and lost 4, 3, 7, 5, 7, & 6 games respectively. Not sure how that equates to, "6 to 7 losses a year," but I am sure my math is wrong...
-Agree ave out to six a year based on the losses (okay its what 5.2 rather than six).If this is the best we can do ....okay but if not lets get better quickly.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
His motivation went away about the same time that he got a 7 year fully guaranteed contract with pay in the top 20 of college coaching. He gets paid whether he wins or loses.

Jimbo Fisher just signed a 5 year deal. We'd give him an evergreen Hewitt style contract for playing for the NC.

I never will understand why contracts aren't tied to results. It's a competitive game. If a coach won't tie his compensation to results, he's not the competitor that I want as my coach.
Mickey Mantle for the younger lads hit 353,54 hrs in 1956 and got a 20000raise.In 1957 he hit 363 with 30 odd homers and the yanks...........wanted to cut his pay by 15000.Yank GM said Mickey you didnt have as good a yr as before...............makes you wonder how we do things does it not.

Yep
Yep the powers to be pay little attention to old folks like us.......money still runs the tech show.

Matt Kuchar, Megatron, Stewart Cink and Mark Price could make the buyout with their loose change.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
MTSUs running back that torched us is doing the same in the NFL.

CPJ and his O have not been the problem, and I understand why CPJ would want an extension and why GTAA would hesitate.

If I were Bobinsky, I would verbally take CPJs side and voice confidence in him while expressing the reality that 7 win seasons don't earn extensions any more than they merit firing.

BranMart

Georgia Tech Fan
MTSUs running back that torched us is doing the same in the NFL.

CPJ and his O have not been the problem, and I understand why CPJ would want an extension and why GTAA would hesitate.

If I were Bobinsky, I would verbally take CPJs side and voice confidence in him while expressing the reality that 7 win seasons don't earn extensions any more than they merit firing.

The O itself may not be the problem. Finding talent and being able to coach the talent up to run it may be the problem. It should not take 3 years to get okay at running any system. Looking like crap against any team with a tad more talent than us is the problem. His O was supposed to prevent that.

56JacketDE

GT Athlete
Bottom line
He lost his starting qb because of the offense and no john Dwyer types are lining up to come play in this offense. As a defensive guy, I wouldn't want to practice against cut blocking all spring and 2 a days. It doesn't get me ready for the season because we don't play service academies and fcs teams. I want to practice against competent pass blockers so I can hone my pass rushing skills and real blocking schemes and techniques that my competition will use