What would you do about our coach?

What would you do about our Coach?

• Fire him this year and pay the huge buyout (we would have to hire a cheap replacement)

Votes: 13 10.2%
  • Evaluate him after next year(smaller buyout but still large)

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • Evaluate him in 2 years

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Evaluate him in 3+ years

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • Its the program not the coach

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • Promote Roof to HC at some point

Votes: 7 5.5%

• Total voters

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
I'm fairly sure next year is his make or break year. Here's a link to his contract:
http://www.coacheshotseat.com/CHSGeorgiaTech.pdf

Notice the buyouts listed on page 27:
If fired at the end of:
2013 $7.768 million
2014 $5.25 million
2015 $2.667 million

I don't think GT will take the almost $8 million hit this year but the $5 million next year is very doable when structured & payed out over multiple years.

This +100, the buy out is 5 million after next year... We can handle that. Bobby Dodd will be deserted with another round of loses to our big rivals next year. If the defense is anything like it was this year, Roof will be our next HC and I for one will be happy.

It seems to me, and eric correct me if i'm wrong, but the players really like roof. I think He would build a solid program.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
For those of you who think CPJ feels the heat, or should be made to feel the heat, I think you are totally misreading the situation and the man. IMHO CPJs internal motivation is far greater than any pressure that could possibly be applied externally by anyone. I would be willing to bet that CPJ has actually demanded more changes from Bobinski and the AA than the opposite, and rightfully so.

The AA should be looking to do more to support football and leave team decisions totally up to him. If he fails to make progress while being supported then he will own the results and be fired. That is the way it needs to work.

Personally, I hope he succeeds and stays for a long time.

Boomer, I've said the same many times and in many posts on different boards. I think the decision on admits for a sport should be left to the head coach in that sport and his/her contract should be reflective of that. Put in a clause that he/she gets to choose which students to admit for their team. But if the team APR slips below the NCAA minimum threshold, that's cause for termination with no buyout....or some other such punishment. That way the coach isn't hamstrung by a Draconian admissions policy but also has to consider just how many of those he/she wants to take or else face the "no money for you!" SoupNazi.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There is so much in this thread to comment on / rebuff...too much to hit point to point. So I will keep it minimal.
People that think a coaching change is all that is needed to make us a championship program are delusional. Takes the RIGHT coach and I still think CPJ might be that guy.
Empty BDS??? I'm 41 and that problem predates CPJ and has been an institutional problem my entire life with a rare season here and there being the exception.
Success vs. UGA the factor we use to fire our coach....LMAO....I hate UGA and that's definitely the most important game of the year. We will never keep a coach here with that philosophy. Like it or not the dawgs have huge advantages over us. I would be happy winning every other year against them sad to say. Don't think I will see us beat them 7 or 8 in a row before I die. 3-4 in a row would be amazing. But let us have a less mioptic approach please.

If we don't beat UGAg next year CPJ is done. In my mind that is a no brainer.

Defense has improved, but offense has regressed. That is not because other teams have gotten better at defending the triple option. It is because CPJ has become predictable. For example, the plays in 2nd OT of UGA game we try to go outside and they blow us up.

CPJ is way way too stubborn with his play calling. We have to mix it up, a reverse pass play inside our own 20 isn't mixing it up its just desperation. We have to keep the pedal to the metal and not let up. We could have embarrassed UGA, but we let up.

Bottom line: We need a coach that hates UGA and Clemson.

In my opinion we should go after Ken Wisenhunt. Played at GT, knows our rivalries, and he took the Cardinals to a Super Bowl.

Whiz is in line to get a $6-7MM per year job in the NFL, rarely do guys with NFL HC exp. go back to college unless it is at a marquee program like USC-Sr. or Texas that can pay NFL-type money.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, I've said the same many times and in many posts on different boards. I think the decision on admits for a sport should be left to the head coach in that sport and his/her contract should be reflective of that. Put in a clause that he/she gets to choose which students to admit for their team. But if the team APR slips below the NCAA minimum threshold, that's cause for termination with no buyout....or some other such punishment. That way the coach isn't hamstrung by a Draconian admissions policy but also has to consider just how many of those he/she wants to take or else face the "no money for you!" SoupNazi.
I havent thought of that but I love the approach.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I like the approach also but see a big potential problem. Coach A abuses it and gets the program in deep doodoo...coach A gets fired and coach B is hired and has to clean up the mess. Give too much power to an individual and it will likely get abused.

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing I am set on is that PJ is in trouble with many on this board and in the Tech Nation.We didnt like Carson due to his attitude which reminds me a little of PJ.We felt like Pepper was too cool and was wasting athletes.We hired Bill Curry and Bill Fulcher since they were Tech man with little coaching experience.We hired GOL and Ross and ........we got winning teams even though they were not prima Donna to the press.We hired Chan and kept him with the same or close to the same won loss as PJ and folks got upset with Reggie and not winning with good athletes.We got PJ and now upset due to lack of recruiting and winning more than seven a year ,losing to puppies etc...something dont change at Tech but when you lose control of the team or the fan base ...something is wrong.

You and I have much the same thought, Mack. When I was a student, Tech was about halfway through its third coach, Bobby Dodd. Hard to believe, but there was grumbling about Bobby. Too conservative...kicks on third down...boring...Dodd Ball...benches some of the best players (Billy Teas, for one).

Over the years, I have come to understand that there is no coach that will satisfy everyone and even if he meets the 80/20 rule, the 20% will generate enough negativism to sound like a thundering herd to the remaining 80% percent. Eventually the 20% will grow to 80% unless something happens to shut them up...at least for awhile, anyway.

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
This +100, the buy out is 5 million after next year... We can handle that. Bobby Dodd will be deserted with another round of loses to our big rivals next year. If the defense is anything like it was this year, Roof will be our next HC and I for one will be happy.

It seems to me, and eric correct me if i'm wrong, but the players really like roof. I think He would build a solid program.
Duke said something similar. I like roof as a DC, but if we do change coaches next year(which is not a sure thing at all) we are going to need an offensive coach to preform damage control on the scheme change. That being said, I think the majority of this talk is fueled by the post-lost pandemonium. I think Johnson's scheme would be working wonderfully if he had an offensive line worth a damn. #fireSewak

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
the issue we are going to have after then end of next year is PJ's contract is only for 2 more years. This in the eyes of a recruit is a lame duck coach.

So at the end of 2014 Paul will either be fired, or extension. But we can't let him go into recruiting for 2015 with only 1 year on the contract.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
the issue we are going to have after then end of next year is PJ's contract is only for 2 more years. This in the eyes of a recruit is a lame duck coach.

So at the end of 2014 Paul will either be fired, or extension. But we can't let him go into recruiting for 2015 with only 1 year on the contract.
Well lets look before we leap.Brainless said the reason for the extension for Chan was so he could recruit.I would think no matter what we take it in shorts for a year and then maybe regroup if we get rid of PJ.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
You and I have much the same thought, Mack. When I was a student, Tech was about halfway through its third coach, Bobby Dodd. Hard to believe, but there was grumbling about Bobby. Too conservative...kicks on third down...boring...Dodd Ball...benches some of the best players (Billy Teas, for one).

Over the years, I have come to understand that there is no coach that will satisfy everyone and even if he meets the 80/20 rule, the 20% will generate enough negativism to sound like a thundering herd to the remaining 80% percent. Eventually the 20% will grow to 80% unless something happens to shut them up...at least for awhile, anyway.
Well Bobby could charm the Mothers and Dads over the coffee table and with the media in Atlanta I think PJ needs to figure out how to project his image as not being a rude or unfriendly person to the media.Saban and Spurrier can say anything since they win and folks love them for the quotes they project and its clear you have to satisfy the media to get good coverage in papers and the airways so maybe that is one thing PJ can work on.Dodd was Lucky ! Yes I can still hear the boos from the West Stands when he would kick on third down in the wet mud and then when the other teams fumbled the punt.................he could have run for Gov !Deal was though when you went to a Dodd coached game you knew we would either win or ........would not lose by much and the game would be exciting...I loved his offense with unbalanced lines ,men in motion,sprint passes and belly series and still think they would work today.If PJ got 80 -20 he would be golden..........its a step we need to make if we are going to get folks interested in positive tech football.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
I havent thought of that but I love the approach.
I think to be competive in bigtime football you need some incentives and that is the way I would have approached PJ but remember one win at Georgie and the guys gushed to the bandwagon and he got a nice golden parachute.Ilike the approach approved by Boomer and others .Hell give him a raise but lets be very careful of extensions....

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Mack, you are right about getting media attention. Bobby Dodd was not only a winner in the games, he was an amazing person who could charm the media and they all loved him. He also provided them voluntarily with tidbits of football information from Tech that would help them sell papers. It was a win-win situation for Dodd and the media.

Saban and Spurrier can help sell papers because they win, and the papers love to have something positive and attractive to sell their papers. Alabama and South Carolina are hot teams and help the media sell their papers. Their sarcasm even helps to sell the papers because both Saban and Spurrier are well known for it, and they win. If Saban and Spurrier were losers, their sarcasm would not be taken well.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
There is definitely a problem with the football program. Some of the team chemistry and unhappy members of the team may be rumor or sour grapes, then it may be a real problem. Regardless, I think all understand that we are not playing good football.

Look at it as if you owned a business. It must produce a good product or activity or it dies. If you are the CEO, will you be proactive and try to fix the problem, or do you let it run a while longer to see if it fixes itself on its own. As the CEO, your job may hinge on its effectiveness. As the CEO, what will you do?

gtdrew

Banned
That reverse pass had Godhigh open down the field. I didn't hate the call, just the timing. I'd have run that on second down...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There is definitely a problem with the football program. Some of the team chemistry and unhappy members of the team may be rumor or sour grapes, then it may be a real problem. Regardless, I think all understand that we are not playing good football.

Look at it as if you owned a business. It must produce a good product or activity or it dies. If you are the CEO, will you be proactive and try to fix the problem, or do you let it run a while longer to see if it fixes itself on its own. As the CEO, your job may hinge on its effectiveness. As the CEO, what will you do?

I think the CEO has taken the steps to improve the business that don't yield immediate rewards. When I invest in a business, I'm less concerned about the state of the company today than I am about the business heading in the right direction in the future. The number one issue is current results on the field. No one debates that. It's all about what's being done to fix it:
  • Issue: Defense was terrible. Solution: Johnson hired Roof. Outcome: Positive ROI, trending up
  • Issue: Recruiting was down. Solution: Hired Roof, Pelton, and support staff. Leadership fighting the hill. Outcome: Positive ROI, trending up
  • Issue: Offense is stalemating. Solution: Introduced diamond and pistol packages. Outcome: Zero ROI
The way I see it is that offensive coaching is now the most critical issue. Let's see what Johnson does this offseason to address that. So far he's taken steps to address the major issues preceding that.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
It will take some SERIOUS change for PJ to last through next DEC--he is headed for 6-7 and another uga and bowl loss.His DEF will be back to its old ways next yr losing six SRs, and the Off will be the same.--Vad is not a TO QB-feet too slow,decisions too slow,his strength is passing and this is NOT a passing OFF.
goodbye and good try

gtdrew

Banned
It will take some SERIOUS change for PJ to last through next DEC--he is headed for 6-7 and another uga and bowl loss.His DEF will be back to its old ways next yr losing six SRs, and the Off will be the same.--Vad is not a TO QB-feet too slow,decisions too slow,his strength is passing and this is NOT a passing OFF.
goodbye and good try
Lol. Generalize much?

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow
Where CPJ went wrong (as if he could have avoided it) was coming into a program that "suddenly" had excellent athletes...thanks to his predecessor. Right up front he beat UGA and won a conference championship, even though he was introducing a totally new system and coaching staff. Fans loved it and were so elated they thought things could only get better from there as CPJ recruited "his" players. That illusion didn't materialize for a variety of reasons...most of them probably having to do with the Hill...so now some folks want his head.

As we have seen over many years, unless you get excellent athletes you are not going to have a stable, elite program. Ain't gonna happen. Curry (a Tech alumnus), Ross, and O'Leary knew Tech was keeping itself from sustaining an elite program, so having made their mark off of a few good recruiting classes they set out for greener pastures as quickly as opportunity would allow. In O'Leary's case, however, he left some untenable baggage behind (Flunkgate) that really hurt his unsuspecting successor for awhile. And by the time Tech had the athletes to field a great team, Gailey got the axe thanks to a few influential alumni. So Tech paid out big bucks to Gailey while paying out more big bucks to attract a successor with the kind of track record that suggested he would do well at Tech.

So round and round we go and where we land nobody knows. As Pogo wisely said, "We have met the enemy and he is us."

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
For those of you who think CPJ feels the heat, or should be made to feel the heat, I think you are totally misreading the situation and the man. IMHO CPJs internal motivation is far greater than any pressure that could possibly be applied externally by anyone. I would be willing to bet that CPJ has actually demanded more changes from Bobinski and the AA than the opposite, and rightfully so.
100% agree with you Boomer. It really surprises me sometimes the number of comments I see where our fans think that CPJ is purposefully trying to lose games and is just doing this to collect the paycheck.