What would JT have done in this offense?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
not even sure I get this thread so to speak. This offense could completely suck. It could be a total mess and no QB could succeed. I have seen pathetic installations of spreads, options, zone teams. That ruin a team for years and never get on track. We may be witnessing that at FSU. I think we need to actually see objectively what our offense is and can do before we ask the post CPJ era what ifs, like we did during the CPJ what ifs; like ball in cpj offense, or hamilton, or calvin, or whoever..

If the question is tangible. Like what would JT done in oklahoma's offense, or clemsons pre-sunshine, or auburns spread, or texas's current spread etc; I would say he woulda done fine. His impact would have been equal to what he did at Tech, just in a different scheme. Good players play good. Sure he may have more passing yards, less rushing, and more opportunity at individual accolades. But does he win more than 11 and an orange bowl? Even at those schools, he does the same IMO. Now, due to talent depth, he probably wins 10 all three years....

So to me its 6 one way half dozen the other.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
better passing stats, just due to getting more attempts. Probably same amount of wins. Guy was a baller and an on-field leader, something we've lacked the past 2 years IMO. That's the kind of thing that's hard to coach. A kid's either got it or not. JT5 had it.

I mean the a different offense doesn't fix 2015 I don't think there is a QB out there that can deal with that level of attrition of everyone around him. So if we assume that happens and its just the slot recievers and OL that get decimated. We probably end up an inside zone team and well... you see what happened to Georgia Southern when the only play they had was inside zone? (2017)

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
JT5 was just a good QB. He could really sling it. Would have had a solid C% in a more conventional offense.
I think Johnson had three QBs who were never going to be college QBs in any other offense: Nesbitt, Washington and Thomas. In all three cases it can be said he fit the personnel to his offense. But Nesbitt was a power runner, Washington the best option QB of the three, and Thomas the only dual threat guy he ever had who made up for an often erratic arm and a hinky throwing motion with an amazing ability to compete. I liked them all for different reasons, but never kidded myself any would fit another offense. (The same reason some of those Abacks were never going to be running backs elsewhere and conversely, the reason really great NFL-hopeful running backs were not coming to Georgia Tech.)

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I think Johnson had three QBs who were never going to be college QBs in any other offense: Nesbitt, Washington and Thomas. In all three cases it can be said he fit the personnel to his offense. But Nesbitt was a power runner, Washington the best option QB of the three, and Thomas the only dual threat guy he ever had who made up for an often erratic arm and a hinky throwing motion with an amazing ability to compete. I liked them all for different reasons, but never kidded myself any would fit another offense. (The same reason some of those Abacks were never going to be running backs elsewhere and conversely, the reason really great NFL-hopeful running backs were not coming to Georgia Tech.)

Don’t agree at all. Nesbitt was literally recruited to Gailey’s pro-style offense as a QB. Obviously he wasn’t gonna make the NFL at that position.

And JT could throw darts. He could have played QB at any college with a spread system.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
Don’t agree at all. Nesbitt was literally recruited to Gailey’s pro-style offense as a QB. Obviously he wasn’t gonna make the NFL at that position.

And JT could throw darts. He could have played QB at any college with a spread system.
Sorry but not buying it. He was a hell of a competitor and yes he could throw darts but he was also often off target and his set up and motion were pretty funky. There is a reason AL decided he was a CB. In a pass first or even a 50/50 situation I think his limitations would have been more obvious. Now he would have been a great slot receiver.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer

Ever see Nesbitt throw? I mean pass as in hit the receiver. Keeping it in the ballyard was sometimes a challenge for him, and he was not going to play QB at a Division 1 school, including Tech if Gailey had stayed. I loved Thomas and admired his knack for late-inning heroics. But he was a slinger, not a passer, who admitted he never worried about nor practiced mechanics. He just threw it. They were good QBs shoehorned into the position. I have no inside knowledge, nor outside for that matter, but I think the QB recruiting failure was the driver for Johnson's retirement.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Ever see Nesbitt throw? I mean pass as in hit the receiver. Keeping it in the ballyard was sometimes a challenge for him, and he was not going to play QB at a Division 1 school, including Tech if Gailey had stayed. I loved Thomas and admired his knack for late-inning heroics. But he was a slinger, not a passer, who admitted he never worried about nor practiced mechanics. He just threw it. They were good QBs shoehorned into the position. I have no inside knowledge, nor outside for that matter, but I think the QB recruiting failure was the driver for Johnson's retirement.

We have Graham, Yates, Oliver, and Johnson on the roster and you think CPJ retired because he couldn’t recruit a QB?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
We have Graham, Yates, Oliver, and Johnson on the roster and you think CPJ retired because he couldn’t recruit a QB?
Forget the "roster" QBs and remind me who actually played that position. Right. The guy who kept left, kept right and to whom passing was a suggestion. I don't think I was alone in seeing his sideline frustration. I have been a GT football fan a long time, but the last two years were brutally hard. It is hard to oversell the difficulty of his QB position. They were on the roster but tellingly, not on the field. In short, yes.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Forget the "roster" QBs and remind me who actually played that position. Right. The guy who kept left, kept right and to whom passing was a suggestion. I don't think I was alone in seeing his sideline frustration. I have been a GT football fan a long time, but the last two years were brutally hard. It is hard to oversell the difficulty of his QB position. They were on the roster but tellingly, not on the field. In short, yes.

Lucas was hurt, Graham was a true frosh, and Yates was in HS. We had the deepest QB depth chart under CPJ by a significant margin entering 2019. This is not why he retired.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Lucas was a true duel threat guy in high school and was the heir apparent to JT but got hurt. Vad was a great get and the kid who wrecked his 4-wheeler, even better. CPJ had a lot of bad luck wrt the position, but he usually got one of his top targets each cycle.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lucas was hurt, Graham was a true frosh, and Yates was in HS. We had the deepest QB depth chart under CPJ by a significant margin entering 2019. This is not why he retired.
Ddn't say it was limited to that. But I will always believe it was a significant factor. He loves that offense too much to watch the limited sprint outs. As for depth at QB -- a raw, untested wishful depth -- I remember reading last season that Clemson had five QBs and four were 4-stars or better. They wound up with two.