What would it take for you to be satisfied

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the team would be fine if it could play defense. Specifically, defensive line needs to make huge improvements. I think the major issue is talent because the DL-men rarely win one on one battles with OL-men. If I could wave a wand and add an NFL starter caliber player or two to the team, I'd put all of them on defensive line. GT has some decent players on the DL, but I think the team needs some next level guys to combat the next level guys on opposing offenses.

yerjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Just win baby. I would love to have a top ten team every year. Right now I would settle for a WHOLE lots less GT shooting themselves in the foot. Mostly missed blocks and not wrapping up on tackles. Plus fans holler to throw more but a case of the drops doesn't help. Next year may be a struggle unless the QB is otherworldly for a first time starter.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Let me start with what My expectations became when we hired CPJ. My expectations for CPJ have pretty much been 7 wins minimum and be competitive with every team we face. I also expected a better than average, double digit wins type season, every 3-4 years. Prior to 15 I honestly can say I never expected a 3 win season to be even possible under CPJ. So I learned a lesson there.

I think 15 was a fluke not likely to be repeated. But I also better recognize now that Tech hasn't been as committed as our competition recently and that is having an affect. If Tech will commit properly I'll return to my former expectations by and large. If not I can really only hope to be competitive consistently with mid tier teams and to have little chance against uga and the top tier teams in conference.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
Satisfied with this year? A bowl game and beating Georgia. Moving forward I'd like to be competitive in the ACC every year and make a big bowl every couple years.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Moving forward I'd like to be competitive in the ACC every year and make a big bowl every couple years.

for the most part, we have been competitive in the ACC. However to do so in the future will require us to improve as a program. The league has improved to the extent that there a lot less "easy" W's anymore. UNC, Pitt, Duke, Uva, the U (maybe a little early yet to say about these last 2), etc. have all upped their game. As the coaches say, you are either getting better or getting worse all the time.As a fan, I am excited to see the overall improvement in the ACC.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I will never be satisfied. That is the bottom line. It is really not a question of that. No matter where you are, you have to get better.

I haven't posted for a while and it was nice not to think about the negative.

Here's some zen thought like that you occasionally post and I like. I am satisfied since there is nothing I can do about it.

We were really bad last year. So we should expect rebuilding. Based on how GT has performed over the last 112 years, a 7 win season is reasonable for the upper end of historic expectations. So be it. https://gtswarm.com/threads/112-years-of-gt-football-how-bad-were-we-last-year.9020/#post-203065

Next year scares me. I said in another post in a different thread we have a lot coming back but the lack of playing time for Jordan or Marshall scares the hell out of me. That first game against Tennessee in prime time in front of a national audience could get really ugly and hurt the program even more in the eyes of recruits and national perception. It's a similar situation to 2014,almost identical, with an inexperienced JT coming in, but with the way Oline and D coaching is looking I don't see that happening.

Hallelujah about playing the backup QB. This offense is way too complicated and rough on the QB to not be giving real playing time to the back up. Sure it may lessen the chance of winning a particular game a bit, but it improves the chances of winning more games in a season. IMHO which is a distinct minority view.

But the O isn't the aspect of our game going into next year that should be the weak link. It's the D and always has been. ST should continue to be very good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We have to be realistic in what it takes to be satisfied, but I do like the Strategic Plan's call for "demonstrating progress" towards being competitive in ACC and NCAA competitions. I read that as "strive to win the ACC each year" and in year's where the win count didn't change, show that supporting activities have improved (marketing, recruiting, facilities, etc.)

The thing I have always like about Alabama, a totally unfair comparison, is there is only one goal: Win the National Championship. There is no other goal. Simple. Clear.

In marketing or business turnarounds, getting clarity is essential. I would love to hear Todd or CPJ simply state, "Our goal is win the ACC championship every year" and show that we are making progress to do that. Nothing rallies an organization like a moonshot. This also helps you to stop focusing on what you don't have (facilities, commitment, etc.) and to start asking the question, "What do we have to do to win?".

Good discussion.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We have to be realistic in what it takes to be satisfied, but I do like the Strategic Plan's call for "demonstrating progress" towards being competitive in ACC and NCAA competitions. I read that as "strive to win the ACC each year" and in year's where the win count didn't change, show that supporting activities have improved (marketing, recruiting, facilities, etc.)

The thing I have always like about Alabama, a totally unfair comparison, is there is only one goal: Win the National Championship. There is no other goal. Simple. Clear.

In marketing or business turnarounds, getting clarity is essential. I would love to hear Todd or CPJ simply state, "Our goal is win the ACC championship every year" and show that we are making progress to do that. Nothing rallies an organization like a moonshot. This also helps you to stop focusing on what you don't have (facilities, commitment, etc.) and to start asking the question, "What do we have to do to win?".

Good discussion.
I'm thinking the best that can be done with Georgia Tech football is make a run for the ACC Championship one out of every four seasons with the other three seasons being somewhere between 5-8 wins.