What would change your opinion?

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
ESPN prestige is brand. GT needs to learn how to better brand or market themselves. It would help with recruiting tremendously.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
ESPN prestige is brand. GT needs to learn how to better brand or market themselves. It would help with recruiting tremendously.
ESPN prestige is ESPN love, plain and simple. We had it in '08 and '09 and, for a brief time, as late as week 6 of 2011. The talking heads were gushing over us with Tevin at the helm with our gaudy passing stats. Too bad we tanked soon after. ESPN is gunshy about us now and for good reason. However, they are a business that's in the business of hyping the flavor of the day... whatever is hot at the moment. If what's hot is a little off kilter, all the better. If we put together a string of wins, and it's possible this season, they'll be back on the band wagon. Till we lose, of course.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
One other note, as I work with many high school students on test prep....

GPA means absolutely nothing in many, many cases - ACT/SAT test scores are much more indicative of a kid's aptitude, although it does not automatically mean the work ethic will be there. Grades are being given out like candy to any student who actually shows ANY initiative whatsoever...... I feel sorry for so many of the parents who call me when their child is a Senior wanting ACT/SAT help, and they say so many times, "but he/she makes all A's". Somehow, they believe the GPA will automatically correlate with aptitude, but it DOES NOT. That means absolutely nothing in today's education system......

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
ESPN prestige is ESPN love, plain and simple. We had it in '08 and '09 and, for a brief time, as late as week 6 of 2011. The talking heads were gushing over us with Tevin at the helm with our gaudy passing stats. Too bad we tanked soon after. ESPN is gunshy about us now and for good reason. However, they are a business that's in the business of hyping the flavor of the day... whatever is hot at the moment. If what's hot is a little off kilter, all the better. If we put together a string of wins, and it's possible this season, they'll be back on the band wagon. Till we lose, of course.

Not to beat a dead horse... You are correct ESPN love is very helpful. I think GT's brand though needs a face lift. The brand. How we market ourselves. Not how we are marketed by ESPN.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

GPA means absolutely nothing in many, many cases - ACT/SAT test scores are much more indicative of a kid's aptitude, although it does not automatically mean the work ethic will be there. Grades are being given out like candy to any student who actually shows ANY initiative whatsoever...... I feel sorry for so many of the parents who call me when their child is a Senior wanting ACT/SAT help, and they say so many times, "but he/she makes all A's". Somehow, they believe the GPA will automatically correlate with aptitude, but it DOES NOT. That means absolutely nothing in today's education system......
Public school teachers tend to teach towards the middle out of necessity and end up grading similarly. If a kid is one of the smarter kids in the class, they'll most likely get an A. The same teacher would probably grade/teach a lot differently if they taught an AP class. It's just human nature.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer

You are correct.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not to beat a dead horse... You are correct ESPN love is very helpful. I think GT's brand though needs a face lift. The brand. How we market ourselves. Not how we are marketed by ESPN.
Agree. It's a bit of a balancing act, however. GT marketers have to appeal to two vastly different audiences: a) the old school money men who fund the program through donations, b) the high school kids who latch onto what is hot and hip now.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
a) the old school money men who fund the program through donations

What are we going to do if/when this population decreases further? Or, at least those of this group that care about college FB? Kind of scary.
There will always be "old school money men" from GT. The question is will they continue to fund the program. Attitudes tend to change as we age. Guys who are full of fire and spit as young men eventually mellow out and still want to help Ma Tech for nostalgic reasons.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
There will always be "old school money men" from GT. The question is will they continue to fund the program. Attitudes tend to change as we age. Guys who are full of fire and spit as young men eventually mellow out and still want to help Ma Tech for nostalgic reasons.

I think we are saying the same thing, but my concern is whether more and more of our grads are less inclined to care about FB.....as compared to the old guard that graduated in the 50s and 60s and maybe 70s.... If that is true, the total number of "old school money men" may not be enough to support a competitive program going forward..... Hopefully, this is NOT true..

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... Back to the original question...

1a) If CPJ looks to have "lost" the team.

1b) we start screwing up the APR by bringing in players we know can't handle the classroom. That doesn't mean we don't take chances...

1c) we start losing games in a regular basis to teams "we should beat".

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Since I support CPJ, the question for me is when do I stop supporting him. There are several things - off the filed scandal (unexpected), dropping academic standards (unexpected) or season long Power Ranking below 60% for two years or 50% for one year.

Most likely scenario for letting CPJ go is enthusiasm / attendance going down too much to make the financials work.

7a7aprq1vahabqb6g.jpg

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Like i said before. I could care a less if cpj ever succeeds again. I dont care about cpj at all.

I care about gt. And because of that i want any coach to succeed greatly regardless of who. So right now that means cpj

Today what would it take cpj to succeed here imo?

- diversify the offense to auburn levels of balance
- part of this is multiple true 3-4 wr sets and a more complex route tree scheme...not a stretch to do.
- incorporate zone blocking into the offense. Not a stretch can be done and will help sell the pro scheme approach....sprinkle in a TE
- fire sewak, stop working around him
- consider starting more two way athletes out on d. Klock is a great example. Mason woulda been another
- change the line recruiting philosophy and numbers....fyi i think he is doing this so good!
- own a little more of the d. What i mean here is sometimes his media comments are very offensive minded. Like we couldnt stop anyone but forgetting to mention his offensive issues. In other words it feels one sided. He often say they with the d. The fact is that approach does spill down and i want him to balance his statements more.

Just some thoughts. Not saying any of these equal success. GT is a challenging coaching spot. But i do believe they can help in many areas

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Like i said before. I could care a less if cpj ever succeeds again. I dont care about cpj at all.

I care about gt. And because of that i want any coach to succeed greatly regardless of who. So right now that means cpj

Today what would it take cpj to succeed here imo?

- diversify the offense to auburn levels of balance
- part of this is multiple true 3-4 wr sets and a more complex route tree scheme...not a stretch to do.
- incorporate zone blocking into the offense. Not a stretch can be done and will help sell the pro scheme approach....sprinkle in a TE
- fire sewak, stop working around him
- consider starting more two way athletes out on d. Klock is a great example. Mason woulda been another
- change the line recruiting philosophy and numbers....fyi i think he is doing this so good!
- own a little more of the d. What i mean here is sometimes his media comments are very offensive minded. Like we couldnt stop anyone but forgetting to mention his offensive issues. In other words it feels one sided. He often say they with the d. The fact is that approach does spill down and i want him to balance his statements more.

Just some thoughts. Not saying any of these equal success. GT is a challenging coaching spot. But i do believe they can help in many areas

I tend to agree with your last point about CPJ in interviews with respect to offense and defense. The same thoughts have crossed my mind, and I like the way you phrased the change as "owning a little more of the D."

However, your first 4 points strike me as odd given that your goal is the success of GT football. Why do you see the offense as the stumbling block to success?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I tend to agree with your last point about CPJ in interviews with respect to offense and defense. The same thoughts have crossed my mind, and I like the way you phrased the change as "owning a little more of the D."

However, your first 4 points strike me as odd given that your goal is the success of GT football. Why do you see the offense as the stumbling block to success?

Too one dimensional imo as is. When the run bogs down we r done. It doesnt matter what scheme you run if you are too heavy one way or another a ceiling is hit. That doesnt mean you cant be run or pass heavy still. You can. I just want a tad more of a true passing threat and we still can be run heavy. I offered ways to do that.

Now defensive scheme we run is rather common. It works with good coaching and execution. Many teams run a version of our scheme. And personnel and execution are what make the difference. You need the athletes too. Which is why i suggest trying some athletes on d first to help that part. The fact is our d has been bad. But its also true after 1-2 talented defenders there is a huge dropoff to numbers 4-6. Then depth is a problem. So my suggestions here rotate less on scheme then finding a way to fix the talent part.

Simply the d suggestion only took one bullet vs the offensive. Although the line recruitment is for both

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Too one dimensional imo as is. When the run bogs down we r done. It doesnt matter what scheme you run if you are too heavy one way or another a ceiling is hit. That doesnt mean you cant be run or pass heavy still. You can. I just want a tad more of a true passing threat and we still can be run heavy. I offered ways to do that.

Now defensive scheme we run is rather common. It works with good coaching and execution. Many teams run a version of our scheme. And personnel and execution are what make the difference. You need the athletes too. Which is why i suggest trying some athletes on d first to help that part. The fact is our d has been bad. But its also true after 1-2 talented defenders there is a huge dropoff to numbers 4-6. Then depth is a problem. So my suggestions here rotate less on scheme then finding a way to fix the talent part.

Simply the d suggestion only took one bullet vs the offensive.

OK. I would like a bit more passing too, 15-20 times /game, in theory. However, I think the other side of the coin has merit too. That is, if your team runs the ball better than passing the ball, than expanding the play calling for more pass plays would make you less effective over all. It seems to me that GT's success hangs on improved D while holding serve on O.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
OK. I would like a bit more passing too, 15-20 times /game, in theory. However, I think the other side of the coin has merit too. That is, if your team runs the ball better than passing the ball, than expanding the play calling for more pass plays would make you less effective over all. It seems to me that GT's success hangs on improved D while holding serve on O.

I am looking to yards not attempts for our passing game. I want effective more yardage. It may be 10 completions or 15 or 18 but 190 -220 range a game. Maybe its 150 - 190. Have to go back and see the numbers. But something like a 35percent pass yardage to 65 percent run yardage balance. Maybe even 60/40 run pass.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I am looking to yards not attempts for our passing game. I want effective more yardage. It may be 10 completions or 15 or 18 but 190 -220 range a game. Maybe its 150 - 190. Have to go back and see the numbers. But something like a 35percent pass yardage to 65 percent run yardage balance. Maybe even 60/40 run pass.

OK, interesting. FWIW, we've been pretty consistently 70-30 (give or take a few %) in yards rushing v passing except 2010, when we were 79-21.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah i have to go back and look via yardage. If we are 70/30 then 60/40 is where i think we should tweak the offense to become.