What Would Byerly Do?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No No... No Byerly worship here: )

I was going through video looking for differences in JT and Byerly's running style. Why not, as it is going to be a long summer.

I was scrolling through film and noticed something. Watch how Vad approaches the following situation and bends from possible contact. This is something I am always harping on ABacks for applying the "breaks".

I think Tim plows ahead and makes the first defender miss and makes 5 yards.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
Looks like Vad could have cut back to the inside and had at least 3 or 4 positive yards. Wow, I just didn't realize how much he shyed away from contact but it was pretty bad though. We left a LOT of yards and points on the field last season.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
He was the rare football player who did not like contact. it was painful, at times, watching him pull up. especially near the chains when he could have lowered his head and fell forward for a first down. I think addition by subtraction will be true in this case. wish him the best at whichever school he ended up at.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Byerly is a football player. Old school type you use to see a lot more of in the 50's and 60's. He does not fear contact and in fact contact energizes him. It's somewhat similar to a very good prize fighter. He weighs in knowing he is going to take some blows but uses those blows as fuel to fire his response of delivering a hard blow in return to the opponent. He plays like a grown man.

Go Jackets!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Byerly is a football player. Old school type you use to see a lot more of in the 50's and 60's. He does not fear contact and in fact contact energizes him. It's somewhat similar to a very good prize fighter. He weighs in knowing he is going to take some blows but uses those blows as fuel to fire his response of delivering a hard blow in return to the opponent. He plays like a grown man.

Go Jackets!

+1

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Lee would make me so mad not wanting to get that extra couple of yards. It was a terrible decision on his part choosing an option offense knowing he didnt like to be hit!

Essobee

Jolly Good Fellow

Go Jackets!
That's great to hear, and it's something Lothridge and Nesbitt had in common (another was consistently winning, but without looking particularly flashy).

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was going through video of the GT v S game and saw an interesting trend.

JT avoids contact and would get taken down by a hand or an arm. These situations I can contrast with TB breaking through and making yardage. I was like see, TB would be better. Then the next play JT bust out a long run that anyone else with a little slower timing would make a 5 to 10 yard run. This happened in 2 different drives.

JT run style will give more variation. Short to no yards followed by a 30 to 40 yard run.

TB is going to give you more constant runs of 3 to 4 yards with a 15 yard long run.

My preference is to play the consistent hard nose runner at QB and set your fast/agile person at a back position. The issue is can JT block...you have to design a system to use JT as a runner, not as a blocker. CPJ system is not designed to highlight any one player but the QB. The player that gets the ball is determined by what the defense is giving you.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was going through video of the GT v S game and saw an interesting trend.

JT avoids contact and would get taken down by a hand or an arm. These situations I can contrast with TB breaking through and making yardage. I was like see, TB would be better. Then the next play JT bust out a long run that anyone else with a little slower timing would make a 5 to 10 yard run. This happened in 2 different drives.

JT run style will give more variation. Short to no yards followed by a 30 to 40 yard run.

TB is going to give you more constant runs of 3 to 4 yards with a 15 yard long run.

My preference is to play the consistent hard nose runner at QB and set your fast/agile person at a back position. The issue is can JT block...you have to design a system to use JT as a runner, not as a blocker. CPJ system is not designed to highlight any one player but the QB. The player that gets the ball is determined by what the defense is giving you.
I like the idea of using each as a change of pace QB. Whether we pound them or make them chase early would depend on the overall game strategy to wear out the defense. Either strategy could work depending on the defense's plan.

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There sure is a lot of poor blocking in that clip. The LB who makes the tackle comes off an attempted block by #52, who chases him from behind. The pulling guard winds up blocking the same player as the playside tackle, instead of another defender in the same area. The playside A-back ducks under a defender like he is running a pass route instead of blocking, but surely that can't be what his assignment was, could it? Yes, Vad should have fallen forward for a couple yards instead of running backward, but this play would fail no matter who the QB was.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
There sure is a lot of poor blocking in that clip. The LB who makes the tackle comes off an attempted block by #52, who chases him from behind. The pulling guard winds up blocking the same player as the playside tackle, instead of another defender in the same area. The playside A-back ducks under a defender like he is running a pass route instead of blocking, but surely that can't be what his assignment was, could it? Yes, Vad should have fallen forward for a couple yards instead of running backward, but this play would fail no matter who the QB was.

I agree with you about the blocking. There were so many missed opportunities for positive yardage on that play. If the blockers had done what they should, the play could have easily picked up 5 yards at a minimum. Having said that, even after the blocking blew up, if VL had dove for a couple of yards early in the read, 2nd and 8 would have been better that 2nd and 11 or 12. Even at the end of the play, when he finally does dive, it is toward the sidelines. Watching Byerly Friday night, he seemed to want to get that extra couple of yards even when he knew he was going to be hit hard.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I watched the replay last night finally and I liked what I saw from byerly, but from what some of you guys were saying I thought he had played like Nesbitt or something. He looked like he understood the offense and he played hard, but we need JT to win the job. He has the game breaking ability that we need. I think Tim would be a better version of Tevin, but we need a game changer if we are going to beat Clemson, uga, Miami, and VT