What Will it Take...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
for you to feel comfortable in a game again, in terms of point lead with minutes left? I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable again. There could be 10 minutes left and 3 TD lead and I will still be on the edge of my seat.

prifle2

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been that way for as long as I've been a tech fan.. Last year against UGA, when we went up 20 and we started trying to pass to pile on the points I was screaming just run the ball and go into the half. We didn't. They got the ball with 1 min left in the half drove down scored got into a rhythm and the game changed.. I'm never comfortable until the score hits .00. Give me a 13 point lead with 45 seconds and all I'm thinking is watch them complete some fluke pass for a touchdown, recover the onside kick and then rip my heart out with time running out.. I am never, ever, ever... comfortable..

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I'm never comfortable until it is over. Too much can happen & all of the games today with the Georgia teams proves that.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
The halftime lead would have been enough today had we stayed focused on the task at hand. So im gonna go with an 18 point lead at half. But if anybody knows how to squander a game away... Its Tech. One team made adjustments at halftime, the other did not. 1 coach called a great 2nd half, another probably wishes he made different choices. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yep, GG, that's it. The main thing is our overall lack of experience on D and, in certain areas, on O. I thought we lost some of our outside push when Perkins went out - and I sure do hope that wasn't a serious injury - but the main problem is that there were times when we had 3 freshmen and a new starter at DE on the field on D. They're all good players, but they need to go through games like this to realize what they have to do to keep the pedal down. I hope that will come with time and experience, but nothing else will make the nut in this area.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I felt good about a lead in 2009. CPJ would just a grind a lead to death...hence those death marches. I always felt we would win when he had a lead that year.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
for you to feel comfortable in a game again, in terms of point lead with minutes left? I am not sure I will ever feel comfortable again. There could be 10 minutes left and 3 TD lead and I will still be on the edge of my seat.[/QUOTE. IF WE ARE UP 14 ...OKAY.IF 13 THEN I SWEAT IT...YESTERDAY WAS AWFUL ....]

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
All I know is that Miami and Georgie from last year etc made it tough for me to fully enjoy our half time lead yesterday.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boomer, you of all people asking the question! :whistle: You're the one who taught me that you just have to enjoy the process and realize that a loss isn't the end of the world. And enjoy the wins when they do come. That's why I stayed off the board yesterday after the game except to comment on the UGAg loss ;)

But to answer the question, for some reason I was comfortable that we would win even when we went down 3. That's because last year and this year we have won all the games we are supposed to win. This GT team doesn't quit (neither did Ga Southern!) and "all" we had to do was reestablish the dominance we had on the first 5 drives. It was our lack of execution and focus that kept us from scoring in the second half; and as the saying goes "The prospect of being hanged focuses the mind." We had a game watching and I was joking that it was just GTs way of making the game interesting.

I wouldn't have been confident / comfortable that we would win if we were at VT; VT has a much better defense. But that is next week, and I don't play the game. So far this year we have shown a lot of character it doing what it takes. Maybe this team will be like the 2009 team where we "stumble" from win to win. We had a lot of "ugly" wins that year. Or the NC year. Let's sit back and enjoy.

Atomic Jacket

Banned
After this collapse of epic proportions, which in tone mirrored in tone the one against Virginia Tech when Attaochu took a swing at Logan Thomas, I have lost faith in this team's ability to sustain any lead.

I am now back to my original prediction for the season. A losing record of 5-7. No bowl. Of the key games (Miami, Duke, and at NC State), I only see us winning one.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
UVA House of Horrors in Charlottesville. Didn't we start the game up 14-0, then Thomas Jones happened
well, not sure how much you followed GT in the 90s, but this lesson was learned many times roofs first go around...99 was a dumpster fire of blown leads

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
UVA House of Horrors in Charlottesville. Didn't we start the game up 14-0, then Thomas Jones happened

we blew so many big leads that year. Clemson, UGA, UVA, Wake Forest. It was almost every game. yesterday brought back a bunch of memories.

FYI I have tape from those games. I had to, couldn't resist....the D scheme was eerily familiar.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
No CFB football fan can ever be "comfortable". Pull a Clemson lately? Or how about being a Chokie. Then again, you could just find a way to lose like Duke.

Ask the UGAg fans expecting a NC this year how comfortable they are today.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
No CFB football fan can ever be "comfortable". Pull a Clemson lately? Or how about being a Chokie. Then again, you could just find a way to lose like Duke.

Ask the UGAg fans expecting a NC this year how comfortable they are today.

some teams have this happen more than others. Is every team insulated. Nope

Do some teams have this happen way more than the ones you mention (blowing big leads). Yup

FYI UGA didn't blow a 20 point lead. In fact they never led. So not sure what you are referring to

If you are referring to general 'we got this win' then yes no one can assume a win

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
we blew so many big leads that year. Clemson, UGA, UVA, Wake Forest. It was almost every game. yesterday brought back a bunch of memories.

FYI I have tape from those games. I had to, couldn't resist....the D scheme was eerily familiar.
Dukes Spencer Romine looked like Woody Dantzler that year vs us, too. Haha