What will be the first offensive play GT runs against Virginia on Saturday?

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
yeah. Marshall was playing ok and johnson felt more comfortable with him vs miami. What are you talking about concussion? Is this just making something up or did I miss news?
I just thought it was odd that he didn't have his helmet. I wasn't suggesting that he should have been playing, but he's got to be ready when we have the ball. Don't they take helmets away when guys aren't cleared to play?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Fake qb run around right end, pass to left end on deep crossing pattern.
Worked in pre wee.
Just kidding this is first play in second half.

Counter option is the play to start the game.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just thought it was odd that he didn't have his helmet. I wasn't suggesting that he should have been playing, but he's got to be ready when we have the ball. Don't they take helmets away when guys aren't cleared to play?

Oliver played vs miami one series. No idea what else you could mean here unless he got rocked vs miami and had to sit out rest of game. Which i dont think happened. Players all the time put their helmets on the bench.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we really care what the first play is? Just hope the final play of the game is our QB taking a knee to run out the clock.
I mean, on one level, no. On another, it tells you CPJ's thoughts and what he wants to know after sizing up the other team. On a third level, it's fun to guess.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Oliver played vs miami one series. No idea what else you could mean here unless he got rocked vs miami and had to sit out rest of game. Which i dont think happened. Players all the time put their helmets on the bench.
Yes, that's what I thought may have happened. But that's ok - I would rather be wrong here. I watched the replay the other night and it didn't look like he got rocked on that first play. With the rule about helmets coming off and forcing a guy to come off the field, I thought it was odd that the backup QB wasn't wearing his helmet on the sideline after he had already been in the game once. FWIW he was wearing his helmet on the sideline before he played. Maybe he had an equipment malfunction. He did appear to be grabbing the back of his helmet while he was on the field. I'm sure that I'm reading way too much into this - that's what we do on this board, right? Like I said - I hope I'm wrong and he's fine.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Honest question, but if the DL is decimated, why would midline be better than zone dives? If we know we can beat them, why not just down block them and make their backers have to beat us in space?

I realize a successful midline could mean we remove one from the equation, but that seems more valuable to me when either a) we can't beat him, or b) their alignment dictates the hole produced would be advantageous

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow

It didn't look like he took any head shots in the game that I see.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question, but if the DL is decimated, why would midline be better than zone dives? If we know we can beat them, why not just down block them and make their backers have to beat us in space?

I realize a successful midline could mean we remove one from the equation, but that seems more valuable to me when either a) we can't beat him, or b) their alignment dictates the hole produced would be advantageous

That's not wrong, but I'd suggest that if the opponent is completely unable to affect the success of your play there's no point to tactics at all, and also that that condition is far less likely in reality than it seems from reading events outside toe meeting leather.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
I TM’s success throwing the ball last game causes CPJ to change strategy and use the diamond formation we ran with Vad and begin throwing the ball 70% of the time. Of course their is a chance I could be wrong.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
yeah. Marshall was playing ok and johnson felt more comfortable with him vs miami. What are you talking about concussion? Is this just making something up or did I miss news?

At least on the last play of the game, and I do not know how many plays prior to that, Oliver was in the locker room area. He ran out on the field from the NE corner player entrance after the last play to join the celebration without his helmet. What was he doing in the locker room? Why was he there? How long had he been there? What does this mean?

slugboy

Staff member

Towards the end of the game, when their 4-5 DL players are worn down, zone dives are probably the way to go. On the first play, UVA is fresh, and I was thinking the option is a way to keep them off balance.

It might not be the best choice though. Their secondary is good, but an inside-outside option might get their front seven working harder running laterally. Counters might work well. I think they’ll gamble to get off the field quickly. Anything that has them gassed by the end of the first period.

If UVA wins the toss, I think they receive and try to front run the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk