What Went Wrong

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Can someone tell me who missed what to allow this to happen?

I know Hunt Days goes straight to the QB and is the BB give read. The problem is he is there before the mesh. Was the mesh too slow. Why don't ends do this more often? Does this open the D to the rocket toss?

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
He was left unblocked as DEs often are. That just looks like timing the snap to perfection. We have to vary the counts. It is like a pitcher holding runners on first. You simply can't go home on the same time consistently or they are going to rob you blind.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
It's the same thing that Bud Foster's D at VT were doing against us. You can change the snap count or go into the gun or do both. I think going no huddle may also help perhaps.
Going to the gun probably won't happen.

yellowRambler

Jolly Good Fellow
the tackle always tries to get to the second level so Chamberlain leaves him unblocked with hope of Byerly getting ball out in time, but JHD just attacks the QB.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
If that was a toss play....the DE gets burned. That is the chance you take on defensive stunts.....sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

This is where the whole "playmaker" thing comes in. Teams are going to take chances. You have to be able to make them pay when they guess wrong. It's not enough to get 7 when they guess wrong, you have to gash them for 20 (or 60).

If they hold you to 7 when they guess wrong, that gives them a LOT of chances to guess wrong down the field.

If they're going to gamble, the pain of losing has to match the gain of winning, or exceed it.