What Was The Best Part of The 2020-21 Football Season?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Because I can’t think of any. Tech has had bad years before, though it’s hard to think of one worse, except in won/loss terms, but college football as a whole was just one big, boring plot line this past season.

In years past we have had football seasons with interesting intersectional matchups that were intriguing not just because the teams were good but because it promised to give insight into how different regions of the country matched up in terms of strength and styles of play. Not this year.

In years past we’ve had several interesting Cinderella stories or surprise teams coming out of nowhere. Does Cincinnati count? Meh.

In past seasons we were inundated with lots of power house teams across the country, almost too many to keep your eyes on at one time. This season was the weakest I’ve seen in my lifetime. Even the mighty SEC, with the exception of two teams, was terrible. And no other conference was as good.

Bowl season, outside of a couple of games, was a washout and the playoffs were a complete bore.

Styles of play for 90% of teams have devolved into “shotgun and a cloud of dust” with lots of incomplete passes, runs stuffed at the line, and a playbook that seems to settle into a game plan of 3 or 4 main plays. When pro football started doing this a few years ago I quit watching and I’ve never gone back.

Football used to bring me joy, relief from every day stress, and was a pleasant pastime with family and friends. Other than a son-in-law who watches uga, nobody I am close to even watches football anymore. I understand why.

So to repeat the question, was there any thing enjoyable for you about football this year?

30coupe

Georgia Tech Fan
Because I can’t think of any. Tech has had bad years before, though it’s hard to think of one worse, except in won/loss terms, but college football as a whole was just one big, boring plot line this past season.

In years past we have had football seasons with interesting intersectional matchups that were intriguing not just because the teams were good but because it promised to give insight into how different regions of the country matched up in terms of strength and styles of play. Not this year.

In years past we’ve had several interesting Cinderella stories or surprise teams coming out of nowhere. Does Cincinnati count? Meh.

In past seasons we were inundated with lots of power house teams across the country, almost too many to keep your eyes on at one time. This season was the weakest I’ve seen in my lifetime. Even the mighty SEC, with the exception of two teams, was terrible. And no other conference was as good.

Bowl season, outside of a couple of games, was a washout and the playoffs were a complete bore.

Styles of play for 90% of teams have devolved into “shotgun and a cloud of dust” with lots of incomplete passes, runs stuffed at the line, and a playbook that seems to settle into a game plan of 3 or 4 main plays. When pro football started doing this a few years ago I quit watching and I’ve never gone back.

Football used to bring me joy, relief from every day stress, and was a pleasant pastime with family and friends. Other than a son-in-law who watches uga, nobody I am close to even watches football anymore. I understand why.

So to repeat the question, was there any thing enjoyable for you about football this year?
It ended.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Last night was the crowning blow to a truly crap football season for any Georgia Tech football fan. It highlighted just how far away we are from where we want to be. I probably will not live long enough to see us climb that mountain. We just have to hope somebody lights a fire down there on North Avenue.

Go Jackets!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Last night was the crowning blow to a truly crap football season for any Georgia Tech football fan. It highlighted just how far away we are from where we want to be. I probably will not live long enough to see us climb that mountain. We just have to hope somebody lights a fire down there on North Avenue.

Go Jackets!
My feelings. The icing on the cake for me is that usually if Tech is having a bad year I can find something else of interest in the rest of the college football landscape to pass my time with until Tech gets better again. This year there was zero happening in college football that seemed worth a dime. Just an abysmal season all the way around.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
We went to Gainesville for the UF / Tennessee game (Daughter goes to UF). Had a great time as my wife and daughters had never been to a college game other than GT so they had fun at a big stadium. Listened to the GT / UNC game and Duke (other daughter) beat Kansas so it was the only week the family went 3-0 (and the high water mark for all three teams). Then had a late night pizza and listened to the Braves come back to beat the Padres which was a huge win. That was the best part of the season for me. Other than that, it was crap....

I could say watching GT beat Duke in Durham with my daughter there but to be honest we had a much better time watching the Braves beat the Brewers in the NLDS later that day. GT / Duke was a dreadful game to watch.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer

Go Jackets!
sorry, but it will not happen unless we get a lot better recruiting each year. This 2022 year is still not nearly good enough! That is the truth!

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
sorry, but it will not happen unless we get a lot better recruiting each year. This 2022 year is still not nearly good enough! That is the truth!
We certainly aren't going to win any national championships, but getting two 4-star defensive linemen will help improve our situation.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." - Lao Tzu

majorQ9

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a lot to be happy to remember. Probably the only thing is the UNC win at MBS (despite UNC ended up being pretty mediocre). Proved Mayhem at MBS has some potential for a good atmosphere.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And Chinese water torture begins with a single drop of water. 😊
True, that. But I can enjoy next season thinking of it as an attempt to take a step and improve. Consider that next year we'll either double our win total or get a new HC. Either is a sign of hope. The best outlook, the most enjoyable and hopeful one, is to support the team and look to a day when we can maybe win the conference. If a natty seems unattainable, a conference championship is something we can reasonably strive for down the road.

The best thing about this past football season? We saw it. We're still above ground and able to enjoy life. We can all be thankful for that.

YJAlleyCat

Jolly Good Fellow
Not a lot to be happy to remember. Probably the only thing is the UNC win at MBS (despite UNC ended up being pretty mediocre). Proved Mayhem at MBS has some potential for a good atmosphere.

Agree. The tailgate and game at MBS were both a lot of fun. I'm trying to forget the rest of the season. And as for last night... :eek:😭:sick:🤮🤮🤮

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
For us? The UNC game for sure. I brought several friends with me who don't normally go to games. For some it was their first time in the Benz. Then we capped it off looking dominant against a ranked team. It was a fun night.

For college football in general? I struggle to remember anything either. It really was a boring season capped off with a boring postseason. The first thing that pops into my mind though is the 9OT Illinois/Penn State game. That was some wild fun.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
An expanded playoff will add fun. More teams will be alive in December including GT in those years we are solid. Less crappy irrelevant bowl games. Sure, the top seeds will destroy their opponent in the first round but you’ll have a lot of good matchups in the middle with a few upsets each year. And most importantly you’ll give fanbases like ours hope past mid October. It’s coming and I believe will be a positive jolt for the sport. Right now, we already know who 3 of the final four will be next year - Bama, UGA, and Ohio State so next year will be boring again.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

When it ended.