What true Freshmen play this year?

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I really don't see any of them playing except for Freeman. Even Whitehead is unproven and may not be ready to play at this level. Freeman showed in spring that he was capable of playing a back up role. The other early enrollment guys did not show much in the spring. I don't see any one coming to the rescue out of our freshman group this coming season.

Go Jackets!

Freeman could be playing more than a backup role..,and it is almost certain that Whitehead will play. He will be the best pass rusher the day he gets on campus IMO.

I talked to one of the assistants and I was told to expect 5-8 to play...at least that is the expectations heading into fall camp.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Freeman for sure. Probably Durham and the Austin twins. I am not in favor of redshirting any linemen unless they are hurt and going to miss the season anyway. If I were the coach, and got the impression from the administration that this was a make or break year, I would bring all my horses that could walk out of the barn if needed.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Really how many out of this group are proven? I would say one in White.

Griffin can be good but he doesn't have much experience at CB.

Same goes for Milton at CB.

Noble is more of a S.

Durham is a true Freshman...I just think at least one of the Austin twins find there way on the field.

I hope the Austin(s) are good enough to get on the field in in 2014. If so we are certainly better off. But like Durham (who is projected ahead of them) they are true freshmen and time will tell. Thanks for your insight.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
I was told to expect several.

My guess

OT Jake Stickler
DE KeShun Freeman
CB Step Durham
CB Lance Austin
CB Law Austin
ATH Qua Searcy

Eric, do you think Searcy will play O or D?

I think the positions that aren't completely lock up and freshman can come in and battle would be CB, DE, OL, AB, BB.
I think we will see Whitehead, Durham, Freeman, Leggett, Autry, Stickler. I know we have depth and seasoned players at AB, BB, but I think the talent of Leggett and Autry is too great and too much is on line to keep them off the field.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Eric, do you think Searcy will play O or D?

I think the positions that aren't completely lock up and freshman can come in and battle would be CB, DE, OL, AB, BB.
I think we will see Whitehead, Durham, Freeman, Leggett, Autry, Stickler. I know we have depth and seasoned players at AB, BB, but I think the talent of Leggett and Autry is too great and too much is on line to keep them off the field.

I think (hope) he goes to defense.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I would guess the biggest thing that has the coaches on edge right now is Whitehead. He has to graduate this summer with an overload of classes to be eligible to play in the fall. By all accounts, he is on track to do so but it's not a guaranteed certainty. Now, if he doesn't qualify and get to enroll in the fall, we're in trouble on the D line.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I would guess the biggest thing that has the coaches on edge right now is Whitehead. He has to graduate this summer with an overload of classes to be eligible to play in the fall. By all accounts, he is on track to do so but it's not a guaranteed certainty. Now, if he doesn't qualify and get to enroll in the fall, we're in trouble on the D line.

You've got that right...they are in constant contact with him as of two weeks ago.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You've got that right...they are in constant contact with him as of two weeks ago.
There's only so much GT can do/be responsible for in these situations. The fate/future of these players is in their own hands. At some point personal responsibility has to be paramount.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
Trey Klock would be my first choice as a fan off the bench. He would be a welcome element in the tight/TE sets we use.

All in all this would be my list of Frosh who get pt even if its only STs:

Myles Autry
Step Durham
Qua Searcy
and hopefully Trey Klock at TE (fingers crossed)

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Well, just crap. Something else to worry about. I had no idea there were strings attached on Whitehead. Some combination of Whitehead and Freeman has simply got to come through. Otherwise we don't have a pass rush.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Well, just crap. Something else to worry about. I had no idea there were strings attached on Whitehead. Some combination of Whitehead and Freeman has simply got to come through. Otherwise we don't have a pass rush.
I think you're forgetting about the Aussie in the middle. Green is pretty quick, too. The edge is not the only place to originate a pass rush.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
There's only so much GT can do/be responsible for in these situations. The fate/future of these players is in their own hands. At some point personal responsibility has to be paramount.

No, the coaches are handling this one perfectly and I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. I was just simply pointing out that he isn't a 100% guarantee. Although everything I have heard points towards the young man doing exactly what he is supposed to do & is right on track to be here in the fall.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
No, the coaches are handling this one perfectly and I didn't mean to insinuate otherwise. I was just simply pointing out that he isn't a 100% guarantee. Although everything I have heard points towards the young man doing exactly what he is supposed to do & is right on track to be here in the fall.
Interesting point about "everything I have heard.." I forget what your inside source is, is it a current player, trainer, water boy... spill?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Wow, scary

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Freeman could be playing more than a backup role..,and it is almost certain that Whitehead will play. He will be the best pass rusher the day he gets on campus IMO.

I talked to one of the assistants and I was told to expect 5-8 to play...at least that is the expectations heading into fall camp.
Seems about right. This is the year for CPJ to burn some RS's in order to win now. This is an all or nothing year. Hopefully, the vibe will begin to turn positive going into the season.

I have a friend who teaches at GMC. He said Whitehead is one of the most well-mannered, studious kids they've had go through there. I wouldn't be more than marginally concerned. My friend REALLY spoke highly of him...

edit: because I said HE in all caps. My friend at GMC isn't Our Lord and Savior....

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
When does talent trump experience? How hard is the Bback position to learn? JD had enough talent to shine w/o experience in the offense. I'm talking about Leggett.

One the radio show one time CPJ said that BB was a hard position to play. I'm not sure how the difficulty compares to the other positions in the offense, but based on CPJ's comment, it isn't a position that you should expect a player to play well right away unless said player is very talented.

Your talent over experience question is a good one. I think Leggett would have to be massively more talented than Laksey in order to overcome Laskey's experience and see playing time. If Leggett has Dwyer's physical talents, then he might earn playing time this year. Otherwise, I expect that CPJ will stick with Laskey. Now, if Laskey is hurt and unable to start, then that's a different story. I think it likely that Leggett would beat out Connors for playing time. Given that Snoddy and Perkins have been unable to find much playing time at BB, you have to think that Leggett would have to good chance to beat those guy. There's a guy named Braswell, who walked on August 2013, listed as a BB. You have to figure Leggett would be able to beat him also since the experience edge is just one year and Braswell, as a walk-on, presumably isn't as talented as Leggett.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One the radio show one time CPJ said that BB was a hard position to play. I'm not sure how the difficulty compares to the other positions in the offense, but based on CPJ's comment, it isn't a position that you should expect a player to play well right away unless said player is very talented.

Your talent over experience question is a good one. I think Leggett would have to be massively more talented than Laksey in order to overcome Laskey's experience and see playing time. If Leggett has Dwyer's physical talents, then he might earn playing time this year. Otherwise, I expect that CPJ will stick with Laskey. Now, if Laskey is hurt and unable to start, then that's a different story. I think it likely that Leggett would beat out Connors for playing time. Given that Snoddy and Perkins have been unable to find much playing time at BB, you have to think that Leggett would have to good chance to beat those guy. There's a guy named Braswell, who walked on August 2013, listed as a BB. You have to figure Leggett would be able to beat him also since the experience edge is just one year and Braswell, as a walk-on, presumably isn't as talented as Leggett.
You forgot to mention Donovan Wilson.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

FWIW - and someone please check for accuracy on this - but I seem to recall CPJ saying on an interview that one BB difficulty is having to make the same read as the QB on some plays.