What true Freshmen play this year?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely
Tyler Merriweather
OT Jake Stickler (almost guaranteed playing time at this point)
DE KeShun Freeman
CB Step Durham

If the move Qua to the secondary
CB Lance Austin
CB Law Austin
ATH Qua Searcy

Leggett (If he gets moved to Bback)

Klock (if we actually use an OT as a pass catcher)

SwarmArmy

Ramblin' Wreck
Not a true-freshman, but anyone know what happened to Francis Kallon? I was expecting great things from him.

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
  1. Gary Brown & Stickler (I think one of them will play but maybe both)
  2. Keshun Freeman
  3. Qua Sercy
  4. Tyler Merriweather
  5. Step Durham
  6. Leggett unless a transfer takes his spot
  7. Wild Card is Simmons
I considered the Austin Twins, Klock, Marshall, and Autry

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I was told to expect several.

My guess

OT Jake Stickler
DE KeShun Freeman
CB Step Durham
CB Lance Austin
CB Law Austin
ATH Qua Searcy

Good list. With a junior heavy secondary I do not see the Austins with that much playing time until year 3, so I expect them to red shirt. Searcy is probably needed in year two so my guess is that he plays some this year. Leggett may be pressed into service if we do not find another BB somewhere. Maybe Brown if Devine is still struggling with conditioning. Miles probably red shirts unless Zenon and/or Bostic leaves early or Golden gets hurt.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you can pencil in K. Freeman without a doubt, even if #2 on the depth chart. I think M. Autry will play. Yes we have Golden, but Miles will get some PT. Stickler maybe, depending on how the OT transfer pans out.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Good list. With a junior heavy secondary I do not see the Austins with that much playing time until year 3, so I expect them to red shirt. Searcy is probably needed in year two so my guess is that he plays some this year. Leggett may be pressed into service if we do not find another BB somewhere. Maybe Brown if Devine is still struggling with conditioning. Miles probably red shirts unless Zenon and/or Bostic leaves early or Golden gets hurt.

Yes we have some good Junior's in the secondary...but who do we have at CB? We are really thin.

On Leggett we have Laskey, Connors and Wilson who are all way ahead in terms of the system.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
I think you can pencil in K. Freeman without a doubt, even if #2 on the depth chart. I think M. Autry will play. Yes we have Golden, but Miles will get some PT. Stickler maybe, depending on how the OT transfer pans out.

I don't see us burning Myles for just special teams.

Agreed on the transfer..he has to get cleared for this year first...and depending on Roberts as well.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Yes we have some good Junior's in the secondary...but who do we have at CB? We are really thin.

On Leggett we have Laskey, Connors and Wilson who are all way ahead in terms of the system.

White 2014 2015
Griffin 2014 2015 2016
Milton 2014 2015
Durham 2014 2015 2016 2017
Noble 2014 2015 (if needed)
IMO all will play ahead of the Austins until 2016 and even then they will be D2. There are also Z allen 2014 2015 2016 and Teknipp 2014 2015 2016 in the mix. How many quality CBs do you think we need (serious question)?

I agree with you on Leggett being behind Connors and Wilson 2014.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
White 2014 2015
Griffin 2014 2015 2016
Milton 2014 2015
Durham 2014 2015 2016 2017
Noble 2014 2015 (if needed)
IMO all will play ahead of the Austins until 2016 and even then they will be D2. There are also Z allen 2014 2015 2016 and Teknipp 2014 2015 2016 in the mix. How many quality CBs do you think we need (serious question)?

I agree with you on Leggett being behind Connors and Wilson 2014.

Really how many out of this group are proven? I would say one in White.

Griffin can be good but he doesn't have much experience at CB.

Same goes for Milton at CB.

Noble is more of a S.

Durham is a true Freshman...I just think at least one of the Austin twins find there way on the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When does talent trump experience? How hard is the Bback position to learn? JD had enough talent to shine w/o experience in the offense. I'm talking about Leggett.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
When does talent trump experience? How hard is the Bback position to learn? JD had enough talent to shine w/o experience in the offense. I'm talking about Leggett.

Dwyer was the best we had and no one else had close to experience so they were all on even footing.

B back isn't the hardest position to learn in this offense...blocking is one of the main things...but I don't think Leggett is ready to contribute this season. Although we will be counting on him big time in 2015....The dream scenario would be he comes in and earns some time this year so he has more experience for 2015...We will find out soon.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I really don't see any of them playing except for Freeman. Even Whitehead is unproven and may not be ready to play at this level. Freeman showed in spring that he was capable of playing a back up role. The other early enrollment guys did not show much in the spring. I don't see any one coming to the rescue out of our freshman group this coming season.

Go Jackets!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Dwyer was the best we had and no one else had close to experience so they were all on even footing.

B back isn't the hardest position to learn in this offense...blocking is one of the main things...but I don't think Leggett is ready to contribute this season. Although we will be counting on him big time in 2015....The dream scenario would be he comes in and earns some time this year so he has more experience for 2015...We will find out soon.
My point on Dwyer wasn't that he started w/o experience, but that he was so successful w/o it.