What to watch for in the Spring Game

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Some things I will be watching for

QB Battle

Last scrimmage Byerly clearly had the better of Justin Thomas....Thomas needs a good Spring game to get a little breathing room again per say. They both present unique skills to the offense and this will be a main focus for many fans.

Also excited to see the young guys in Matthew Jordan and Ty Griffin

Travis Custis

Assuming he is healthy enough to play for the Spring game he is another guy that a lot of fans will have a eye on...Custis had a lot of hype coming into Tech and hasn't disappointed so far in Spring practice.

O-Line play

I will be focusing on this more than anything...I want to see how the first team gels together and how they go against the first team DL...I want to see clean QB/C exchanges...Want to see how Chris Griffin and Devine are coming along. ..also will be watching the center battle.

JHD at DE

I am looking to see how comfortable at this spot and if he is progressing along as we need him to...Want to see how he does getting after the passer and in the run game.

Interior play

I have heard a lot of good things about our inside guys so I can't wait to see what they show Friday...Specifically Darius Commissiong.

A few key guys

Other than the guys listed above I am anxious to see Tyler Marcordes, Isaiah Johnson and KeShun Freeman.

Last edited:

wingsrlevel

Jolly Good Fellow
talk is cheap on some of these guys. internet heros that get built up to a level that they can't even come close to. Spring practice is over. Ther's no time left this spring to "get a little breathing room".

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
talk is cheap on some of these guys. internet heros that get built up to a level that they can't even come close to. Spring practice is over. Ther's no time left this spring to "get a little breathing room".

Nm

Last edited:

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I really want to see our corners get after our WR and vice versa. WR blocking is key for us, and we have some big guys out there who need to be physical with the corners. I also feel our corners are playing well under Roof, so for me this is another key area to see if how physical our offense can be on the edge.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow

I disagree. A week ago JT was the starter. No ifs ands or buts about it. Then TB lit up the 2nd string defense and now half the fan base thinks TB should be starting on August 30th. If JT kills it, everyone will be breaking their ankles jumping off the TB bandwagon and on JT's.

I really don't think there is a QB controversy. As of right now, JT has proven much more in real games than TB and PJ knows that. Everyone loves the underdog story and I think that's why people want to see the former walk-on beat out the former Alabama commit.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think the Justin Thomas vs. Tim Byerly thing will work itself out. The coaches will play the guy that gives us the best chance to win. They know their jobs are on the line and I can assure you they will not play favorites with this. In fact if Ty Griffin is the one who gives us the best chance to win he will be leading the huddle come this fall.

I think the internet has given every one the opportunity to express their opinion and some folks read into that more than exist. My Dad always told me opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and most of them stink. So I would suggest you not get too caught up in the politics of who should be playing and who should not. You hire a Coach to pick the players, develop their skills and decide who is first string, second string, etc. Johnson knows he has had enough time to have developed a better product than what we have seen the past few years. This is the year that determines his fate going forward in terms of being our head coach or not. He will be giving it his best shot so we will see if that is good enough or not.

Go Jackets!

I disagree. A week ago JT was the starter. No ifs ands or buts about it. Then TB lit up the 2nd string defense and now half the fan base thinks TB should be starting on August 30th. If JT kills it, everyone will be breaking their ankles jumping off the TB bandwagon and on JT's.

I really don't think there is a QB controversy. As of right now, JT has proven much more in real games than TB and PJ knows that. Everyone loves the underdog story and I think that's why people want to see the former walk-on beat out the former Alabama commit.
I must first acknowledge that I have not seen one smidgen of spring practice, not even a video. All I know is what you guys share. But if Justin Thomas is not the complete, dominating leader of the qb derby, I think it speaks volumes about where we will be next fall. How can Thomas, who was #2 last year, and played in ten games, get pushed out by a transfer from MTSU? Hopefully this is just ginned up drama to make some headlines and message board fodder. Wasn't the job Justin's to lose? Has he lost it?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I must first acknowledge that I have not seen one smidgen of spring practice, not even a video. All I know is what you guys share. But if Justin Thomas is not the complete, dominating leader of the qb derby, I think it speaks volumes about where we will be next fall. How can Thomas, who was #2 last year, and played in ten games, get pushed out by a transfer from MTSU? Hopefully this is just ginned up drama to make some headlines and message board fodder. Wasn't the job Justin's to lose? Has he lost it?
Geez, it ain't the end of the world if TB wins the job, talk about Chicken Little Syndrome. Did you think the AB position was a huge bust with Robbie Godhigh?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The MTSU tranfer thing isn't such a big deal.. the talk on the board, imho, is more driven from folks realizing last year with Vad that if you can't commit to reading and running the 3O athleticism won't take you far enough.. TB has shown that focus, and JT is still working on it.

Geez, it ain't the end of the world if TB wins the job, talk about Chicken Little Syndrome. Did you think the AB position was a huge bust with Robbie Godhigh?
Heavens no, you certainly want the best players, the ones that perform the best on the practice field, to be your starters. Honestly I was skeptical of Godhigh, and it was disheartening that of all our recruited, scouted, and selected A-back athletes, he was deemed the best. But, yes, that turned out better than okay. But just compare the offers between the two. One had offers from Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, Florida State, and the other from Furman, Middle Tenn., and Air Force. There is a huge difference there. I concede that maybe all those factory offers were not at quarterback, but still that's a major difference. Now we are to believe Byerly is right there with Thomas?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hope springs eternal. I've been pleased that the D has given our O problems. That should be the case in spring typically. I tend to doubt our O is / will be terrible. We have a track record of putting pretty good O together. I'm cautiously optimistic our D will be improved again this year.

It's kinda impossible to judge how good we are when we play against ourselves but I'm looking forward to seeing them all get after it.