What to expect from Devoe?

ScGold

Banned
I'm really excited to see his development mentally from last year. I'm hoping a year wiser will be the end result. Cutting down on the bad turm overs. Most of all I'm looking forward to see him take games over. He can be a physically punishing player. Here is watching Michael Devoe have the confidence to be that pure player.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I hope he can take a next step. He lacks in raw athleticism that would make him an nba prospect to the extent that his numbers probably should.

However, that just means he'll have to be a student of the game to understand positioning, footwork, pace, etc that can help him continue to be productive now that teams see him coming.

I see no reason why he can't build on what he's already shown game-wise, so I expect an ACC POY-caliber year.

Go Jackets

P.S. Has @Gtbowhunter90 been hacked? "One of the best guards in the ACC"? Seems .... strange hearing you say that. :unsure:

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
Why does it seem strange? Have I been critical of him in the past? I probably have lol but you can see his improvement trajectory since his freshman year. He came in with a funky shot and bad footwork.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Id love to see him cut down on turnovers this season. He had a dozen games with at least four last season. He had 96 assists and 95 turnovers on the season, that is too many for a guy with a usage rate of 23%. If he is able to do that and continue his trajectory, he is an All-ACC type talent.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't think he is going to be an uber explosive or "physically punishing" player :) I think he can be a really good crafty driver and shooter - potentially to all ACC level. Agree on the turnovers but IMHO that is him trying to do too much - getting too far into the defense where he doesn't have the explosiveness to really finish around the rim in traffic. I would like to see him develop a floater from 10 feet and not always try to get all the way to the rim. More than that though - I want him to work on getting his shot off from 3. Too many times he got the ball off a pass but didn't shoot as a defender closed out and he pulled back. He shoots a really high percentage from both 2 and 3 - but he is making less than 2 three pointers per game. We were last in the ACC in 3 point shots made and that has to change.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
There was one thing I clamored for all of last year with regard to his next steps. That is, shoot the damn ball when you're open. That means if you're open from NBA range, shoot the damn ball.

Mike's 3 point percentage (42.7%) is too high for any type of hesitation a couple of feet beyond the arc. The NBA pull should be automatic if there's a guy allowing him to rise and shoot. Step-ins, off the catch, off the pick, or on a flare, he needs to take that shot. I think there is something preventing this - either Devoe's lack of alpha or our offensive identity, and maybe a bit of both - that needs to be fixed and coached away. There were multiple games where I counted multiple lost possessions as a result of "patience", or whatever was causing the lack of aggression. And it has nothing to do with athleticism or physicality.

The benefits are many. First, he'll make some. Second, it'll give him more room to pump and get to the bucket. This makes his any concerns about his athleticism less of a factor. His game will expand natively. Third, it stretches the D and makes our entire offense a lot more capable when there are wider driving lanes for the rest of the team, as his guy should not be able to help off as much. There should be fewer turnovers with greater spacing.

I'm not kidding when I say I think it's the easiest fix to a lot of our woes on that end. And it's coachable. And it doesn't require an offensive overhaul, regardless of what offense we decide to run.

Last edited:

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Devoe reminds me a LOT of Marcus Georges Hunt in that when he wants to be, he can flat out dominate, it's just getting him in that "alpha" zone. Devoe was a true sophomore last year, so there is plenty of time for him. We didn't really see it with MGH until the last half of his last year.

If our staff can push him into that zone consistently, and Alvarado plays like he did when he came back from injury, I'm not sure there's many guard tandems that will be as good as those two...which bodes well for our team.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Devoe reminds me a LOT of Marcus Georges Hunt in that when he wants to be, he can flat out dominate, it's just getting him in that "alpha" zone. Devoe was a true sophomore last year, so there is plenty of time for him. We didn't really see it with MGH until the last half of his last year.

If our staff can push him into that zone consistently, and Alvarado plays like he did when he came back from injury, I'm not sure there's many guard tandems that will be as good as those two...which bodes well for our team.
Yeah for me I don't even know that it helps us to have them both trying to slash and cut to the rim given the fact Moses and Jordan are going to be looking for their chances to get into the paint as well.

I hope we see Devoe work on his floater and jump shot looks. On occasion if he gets a look or a lane open up then yeah drive the rim, but don't focus on that.

GT_EE78

Banned
yup, he'll lead the team in scoring for sure. If he becomes more aggressive and cuts down turnovers that's good.
Maybe we don't want too good cuz we'd like to have him back next year too.,just good enough to go dancing

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't expect huge strides from Devoe. He was already really good, but as long as Jose is here it is going to be Jose's team, and I don't think Devoe will be able to really take his game to the next level in that situation. Personally I think that's not a bad thing as Devoe natural personality seems more like a great team player than a carry the team type of player.

I do think he can improve on limiting his turnovers, and should be a bit more aggressive in looking for his shot, but I also expect that to be somewhat of a product of us making 3s a bigger focus this year than in recent ones. I think an interesting thing to watch for is how teams approach defending us this year. Last year I got the feeling teams really wanted to limit Devoe after his hot start and even after Jose came back teams were a bit over concerned about Devoe. Next year with a healthy Jose and potentially Moses taking another stride forward, I almost wonder if Devoe will get less attention because of it.