What things are you looking for in Spring practice

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
Eric, doesn't make it right, does it?
Sure it does. Do you want our spring practices showing up on YouTube? Do you want scouts from the enemy camp checking us out? The need for privacy and secrecy vastly outweigh the interest of a few fans for a sneak preview.

But, as Eric suggested, if you are that interested, ask.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we need to get into practices. Our staff and players should be able to work in privacy. Everyone remembers why we don't have open practices anymore, and I can't blame CPJ either. If you can't trust fans from posting videos and in depth details of what the team is game planning, then you lose those privileges.

As a fan, having weekend scrimmages open and our Spring game is more than enough.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
This appears t0 he a year when truly most all positions are open. The first and most important is the quarterback position. I understand that most think Thomas will be the pick, but I think he has some good competition. Unless one of the QBs steps up and takes solid control in the Spring, this position may go into the fall to be settled.

At A Back, I think Days, Hill, and Perkins will get a lot of looks, all three may wind up as lead players. At B Back, I think Laskey has it sewed up, but there will plenty of attention given to Custis. If Custis becomes the backup, he will be considered as a threat duing the year. If he is redshirted, he probably is not a great back but a good one.

No problem on the offensive line as there are plenty of candidates, although it will be interesting to see if Devine becomes a starter, or a major substitute.

On defense, I think we have all the elements in place physically, if they are coached correctly. Since we do not have the "so called" proto-typical interior defensive linemen, we do have enough quantity to produce a good defense if their talents are used in the correct scheme matching their talents. The linebacker positions should be in good hands with plenty of good ones available. The same with the defensive backs.

The big problem I see with the defense cannot be assessed until the games begin in the Fall. This hinges on the defensive coaches. The two most prominent items are (1) playing more players (frequent substitution to keep everyone fresh) on the defensive line, and (2) playing the receivers tighter on 3rd and long. These two items must improve or the results will be the same porious defense as each game progresses.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
The plan is to not redshirt Custis...it would be a huge shock if he ends up redshirting

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I too want to see if we can get enough contributions from the DL to get us about the same pass rush we had at the end of last year. (I say about since I doubt it will be the same after losing Attachou.) Problem = we probably won't know about that until 2 - 3 games deep in next season. This is project No. 1, so far as I can see.

I think all the problems on O are solvable. Two things, however:

I expect to see Wilson back at AB for the season. The reason I think this will happen is that Coach seems to want bigger, more physical players there and that we really can't be sure that Hill's medical condition will allow him to compete through the season. BB seems in good hands without Wilson, anyhow.

I continue to be concerned about Roberts's medical condition as well. It may be fog of war over at FB central, but I expected him to be cleared for practice by now. Concussions, even severe ones, are usually resolved within 4 months or so. I hope he is healthy enough to play this spring since his game experience will be crucial to jelling the OL and opens so many other possibilities. Joe coming back might alleviate this somewhat, but having Roberts out there could make a big difference. Does anyone know more details on his condition?

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I continue to be concerned about Roberts's medical condition as well. It may be fog of war over at FB central, but I expected him to be cleared for practice by now. Concussions, even severe ones, are usually resolved within 4 months or so. I hope he is healthy enough to play this spring since his game experience will be crucial to jelling the OL and opens so many other possibilities. Joe coming back might alleviate this somewhat, but having Roberts out there could make a big difference. Does anyone know more details on his condition?

Roberts will not be playing in the Spring and at this point his career is in serious jeopardy. He and his family, along with the coaches, are obviously being extremely cautious (as they should), as his symptoms are still very much present. Wish the best for the kid, he's keeping a really positive outlook and realizes Tech is way more than football.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Roberts will not be playing in the Spring and at this point his career is in serious jeopardy. He and his family, along with the coaches, are obviously being extremely cautious (as they should), as his symptoms are still very much present. Wish the best for the kid, he's keeping a really positive outlook and realizes Tech is way more than football.
That's grave news, indeed. If he's still symptomatic, then he could have a very serious problem. I agree with you and applaud the coaches; this is no time to risk his long term health for something as ephemeral as football. I hope for the best for him, no matter what.

Rodney Kent

Ramblin' Wreck
Eric: I understand that they may have plans not to red shirt Custis, but at this time there is no way to know how effective he will be. As I have said in numerous posts, I have watched Tech Football since the mid-forties plus the other teams around the nation. The total quantity of can't miss guys that did miss are astronomical.

Personally, I hope he is as good as many think he is, but we will not know until he suits up in college and starts the hitting. I still remember Charles Dudish, his recruitment, and resulting career at Tech. He has not been the only recruit like this, but was probably the most publicised. Of course, their attitude had a lot to do with their career. It appears that Custis does have a good attitude. He has shown a lot of mettle by staying with the program and time lapse to continue his chances at Tech.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Sure it does. Do you want our spring practices showing up on YouTube? Do you want scouts from the enemy camp checking us out? The need for privacy and secrecy vastly outweigh the interest of a few fans for a sneak preview.

But, as Eric suggested, if you are that interested, ask.

Yes I think it would be great if our spring practices were on YouTube and it got more attention to the program by fans and potential recruits.

Which of our opponents cares how we play against ourselves in the Spring? We don't have a serious game till the fourth week of the season. Then there will be three games of real play to look at which is far better than any Spring practice. Then we and everyone else will find out what we have. If we are trying to hide from our first three opponents, we'll be lucky to go 4-8. {Which I doubt.}

I don't think practices in August and later should be open since they would show what we are planning to the next game, but right now, Spring practice has little informational value and potentially higher hype value.

No one outside of a few fans on our sites care at all about the Spring. ESPN has written us off for good reason. We should do everything we can to change that. We need fans, not secrecy.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Yes I think it would be great if our spring practices were on YouTube and it got more attention to the program by fans and potential recruits.

Which of our opponents cares how we play against ourselves in the Spring? We don't have a serious game till the fourth week of the season. Then there will be three games of real play to look at which is far better than any Spring practice. Then we and everyone else will find out what we have. If we are trying to hide from our first three opponents, we'll be lucky to go 4-8. {Which I doubt.}

I don't think practices in August and later should be open since they would show what we are planning to the next game, but right now, Spring practice has little informational value and potentially higher hype value.

No one outside of a few fans on our sites care at all about the Spring. ESPN has written us off for good reason. We should do everything we can to change that. We need fans, not secrecy.
Couldn't disagree more. If our practices were posted on boobtube every coach on our schedule would have a copy and would study it. Information is power, why give it away freely to someone who will most assuredly use it against us?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I really only want to see one thing...especially early in the camp but throughout really. I want to see the D dominate the O. There are reasons this should happen in my opinion unless we are weak on that side of the ball. If it happens I think we will be in store for a special year. If not...we may slog through it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I really only want to see one thing...especially early in the camp but throughout really. I want to see the D dominate the O. There are reasons this should happen in my opinion unless we are weak on that side of the ball. If it happens I think we will be in store for a special year. If not...we may slog through it.
I think you'll get your wish, but that's because the D is always ahead of the O in spring practice. That's what you read about almost every spring practice in the country.

But your point is exactly right. We need to have the D show continuing improvement next season and that's a big question mark. We lost a great pass rusher and we have someone - Gotsis - who could be almost as good coming back. It took Gotsis getting better during the season to free Attachou from continuous double-teams. If we can find somebody who can do that again for Gotsis, then I think the rush will be pretty good. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll see that until Whitehead shows up and maybe not even then. This worries me more than anything else.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
In spring, you try to find out what you don't know. That means you get a little Laskey and a lot of Custis. We'll all think that means he's the starter when all it means is that Custis needs the reps. Will be true at some other positions, too, especially on defense.

I expect CPJ will make the decision in the first week whether to redshirt Jordan. We've got to have a good backup at qb. That means #1 & #2 get all the work with little left for anybody else. Byerly will I think be ready. If MJ avoids the red shirt, then we've got a good one. Otherwise we won't find out much about him.

I know it sounds like a cliche, but I want to see the kickers. A good punter is as valuable as a good LB, and a bad punter is slow death. I want to see Butker add 5 yds to his kickoffs and FGs. I want a sure 3 when we cross the 35, and I want the opposition to start at their 20 after each of our scores. Move the field position advantage to our side of the field, and we get those extra two wins we need to finish in the Top 25.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Points....I agree that is often true and should be the case if our D is solid. I honestly don't think that has happened much around here lately though. Don't think the D has been a headache for the O during spring ball since maybe 2009...and not positive about that year. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe it just seems that way due to the message coming from the program re practices.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
This. Every year, we get these glowing reports of certain players who look great in scrimmages and the spring game, but our fans fail to realize it's our guys playing against our guys. Did our guys look good because they're really that good, or did they look good because the guys we have on the opposite side are NOT that good? Reality check comes when we hit the meat of schedule. It's the never ending GT fan tease...

Smelter was an exception. He lived up to his hype for sure.

To me Eric I'm looking forward to seeing Custis and what he brings to the offense. Not worried about JT because I feel he is going to be the QB we have all been waiting for. Also with Chase Roberts out I really wish they would move Shamire Devine out to tackle because I feel it would be better with him and Griffin manning the tackle spots.
Who will emerge as the G-C-G starters? The center and the guards make or break the dive, which in turn is the key to keeping defenses at home, opening up the edge plays and keeping our quarterback off the turf.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
No injuries that carry over and effect the play come the start of the season.
THIS may be the most important result of the Spring (and Fall).
We are not going to improve the play of guys THAT much in pactices but the team capability degrades GREATLY if guys are hurt and/or out for long -see Bailey,IJohnson,Green,Harrell,Golden, Autry. Health is paramount.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Who will emerge as the G-C-G starters? The center and the guards make or break the dive, which in turn is the key to keeping defenses at home, opening up the edge plays and keeping our quarterback off the turf.
Could not agree more. This plus the ability of the C and QB and BB to hit the mesh correctly was the fundamental flaw last year from which all bad things on the O flowed.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Could not agree more. This plus the ability of the C and QB and BB to hit the mesh correctly was the fundamental flaw last year from which all bad things on the O flowed.
This is so true. There really wasn't an ounce of deception last year with the MESH. We seemingly either called dives, or gave a half baked fake dive before meandering down the line. We need to get the full potential back out of this fundamental component of the offense. We need good reads and deceptive MESH between QB and BB executed very quickly. IF we get a good GCG combo and a good MESH/reads to go with it, people may be surprised how things pick back up.