What the...?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
You are living in a dream world. Pastner has a contract that will be honored with the possibility of a negotiated buyout.
Pretty sure Memphis was still paying him part of his contract from there when we hired him. Not sure for how long they paid but they were ready to part ways with him. Just another example of how crazy these coaching contracts have become.
My basketball PE instructor my sophomore year was our head coach, Whack Hyder. How far we have come when coaches make more than the presidents. Wow.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
FWIW, I thought someone might say, "Our leading scorer was injured against Clemson and out for Duke" or "COVID" or something to suggest that this was just a rough patch. But 9 out of the last 10 games are losses.

No, it is as I feared...a systemic problem that resulted from bad coaching contracts that have left us financially strapped and unable to correct the problem.

If I were ADJB, I would call HCJP into my office and ask him to resign WITHOUT compensation due to his inability to win. Seriously, Pastner ought to be too embarrassed by his record to continue showing up SMILING at the post-game pressers.

Taking the paycheck without performing the job is a disgrace, and Pastner needs to admit his failure and move on without penalizing Tech for his results. The sooner he does this, the sooner he can begin rebuilding his career.

Shaka Smart was the next hot coach coming out of VCU only to flame out at Texas before being picked up by Marquette.

Pastner has flamed out, and he needs to find a spot where he can start over without penalizing us.
Like your take

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I do remember the basics of the business law class that I took at Tech. And everything I've learned in business during the 40 years since. 😉

So, I'm obviously not talking about what HCJP is legally entitled to or what Tech is legally bound to do. I'm talking about what is the right thing to do.

Tech must honor its commitment to the contract given to a coach. But I think that individual coaches who fail in their duties should have enough personal integrity to consider resigning (or continuing at a drastically reduced salary).

And for those who put corporate law over personal honor, okay, you're right...but let me ask: are there any examples of CEO's who have taken pay cuts or no pay at all when a company is in dire straits? Yeah, there are.

Y'all may have the last word. Out.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
I do remember the basics of the business law class that I took at Tech. And everything I've learned in business during the 40 years since. 😉

So, I'm obviously not talking about what HCJP is legally entitled to or what Tech is legally bound to do. I'm talking about what is the right thing to do.

Tech must honor its commitment to the contract given to a coach. But I think that individual coaches who fail in their duties should have enough personal integrity to consider resigning (or continuing at a drastically reduced salary).

And for those who put corporate law over personal honor, okay, you're right...but let me ask: are there any examples of CEO's who have taken pay cuts or no pay at all when a company is in dire straits? Yeah, there are.

Although Pastern has not been successful, he likely has fulfilled the requirements of his contract. As long has he has given the job his best effort, I see no lack of integrity.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

I get what you are saying. And it is galling for a coach to get paid for a job he didn’t do. But somewhere along the way getting money for not working has become a thing.

Yes, wish Pastner would do the right thing. But he would have to be troubled by how the team is performing. Not sleeping at night, getting an ulcer, having anxiety attacks. Nope, there is no evidence that he is the least bit troubled. He sleeps well at night knowing he has done everything he can and it’s the players’ fault for not performing. Never mind that these were players he picked and he has been training.

Yeah, perhaps in a different time, in a different culture, a coach would give up scamming an institution of higher learning for a clean conscience and a good night’s sleep.

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I get what you are saying. And it is galling for a coach to get paid for a job he didn’t do. But somewhere along the way getting money for not working has become a thing.

Yes, wish Pastner would do the right thing. But he would have to be troubled by how the team is performing. Not sleeping at night, getting an ulcer, having anxiety attacks. Nope, there is no evidence that he is the least bit troubled. He sleeps well at night knowing he has done everything he can and it’s the players’ fault for not performing. Never mind that these were players he picked and he has been training.

Yeah, perhaps in a different time, in a different culture, a coach would give up scamming an institution of higher learning for a clean conscience and a good night’s sleep.
I don’t agree that Pastner is not troubled by what is going on. There have been several anecdotal stories about him not sleeping and sleeping in his car after losses.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

I’ve practiced law for 38 years. I agree with you.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
I'm unaware of any high profile litigators who resign from their firms, giving up their partner equity and all perqs, if they lose a couple of cases. Then again, lawyers aren't known for their personal integrity.....

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
We all wanted Collins to do the right thing as well. He claimed to love GT. Bottom line is were paying Collins and CJP. They are both failures here at tech but the AD is responsible for fixing all sports. He is working on a new BB coach now I am sure.

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
We all wanted Collins to do the right thing as well. He claimed to love GT. Bottom line is were paying Collins and CJP. They are both failures here at tech but the AD is responsible for fixing all sports. He is working on a new BB coach now I am sure.
I don't consider Pastner a failure. He has been for the last two seasons, but the prior two seasons were really good. His first season was good as well. Comparing him to Collins is way off base.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

I'm sorry, but you have no clue what you are talking about here. You couldn't be further from the truth. This season has been deeply troubling for him.

No, we're not winning basketball games, and that falls directly onto Josh, but insinuate that he doesn't care or that he is somehow "scamming the institute is just dumb.

Jack

Jolly Good Fellow
Although Pastern has not been successful, he likely has fulfilled the requirements of his contract. As long has he has given the job his best effort, I see no lack of integrity.
There was a slip up a few years ago and that cost us dearly in recruiting.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don’t agree that Pastner is not troubled by what is going on. There have been several anecdotal stories about him not sleeping and sleeping in his car after losses.
Sorry that I did not see that reported. It would definitely change my view of things. Every time I have seen him he has been almost jovial for someone who is failing so badly.

And to clarify, I actually like Pastner. But I also get where the other poster is coming from, the idea that if you are killing a program and there’s nothing you can do to save it, you might want to consider whether or not it is ethical to keep going to the bank cashing checks.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I'm sorry, but you have no clue what you are talking about here. You couldn't be further from the truth. This season has been deeply troubling for him.

No, we're not winning basketball games, and that falls directly onto Josh, but insinuate that he doesn't care or that he is somehow "scamming the institute is just dumb.
Weirdly, your response is comforting to me. I had not heard the reports that he was deeply troubled. I feel bad that he is deeply troubled but glad that he is not as cavalier as his public persona.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Weirdly, your response is comforting to me. I had not heard the reports that he was deeply troubled. I feel bad that he is deeply troubled but glad that he is not as cavalier as his public persona.

I do feel bad for the guy. He comes across as genuine, which is refreshing amidst the cynical backdrop he operates in.

I don't think he would ot should be called a 'quitter' if he decides to choose his health and well-being over continuing to beat his head into this brick wall.

I think his agent should be working to help him find a happy medium.