What the...?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I grew up in North Carolina and clearly recall teachers rolling televisions into our classrooms on a certain Friday in March so we could watch the ACC tournament (click the link if you don't believe me). I remember watching Towe, Burleson and Thompson cut down the nets. And the four corners. And legendary coaches like Dean Smith, Jimmy V, Terry Holland and Lefty prowl the sidelines. I was a senior in high school when Tech joined the ACC. A buddy and I hung the Greensboro Daily News headline up on the bulletin board of the physics classroom. We were the only two seniors headed to Georgia Tech.

I remember Brooke Steppe and Anthony Byrd and some Yankee named Bobby Cremins being named the head coach. I was a senior when Price and Salley were freshman, and I followed the team fairly closely for many years thereafter. I still remember being shocked when I started my first job out of school and learned that the company was not going to be closed on the first Friday of the tournament.

But I have tuned out GT Basketball for a long time. It's just too painful.

Today, I saw a headline on ESPN that I couldn't believe. I had to double-check to see if it was true...and it is.

Could someone give me a quick summary of how we got to 8-13 and to losing to Duke by 43 points at home? Is the entire starting five injured or out with COVID?

Why did this happen???

Last edited:

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Could someone give me a quick summary of how we got to 8-13 and to losing to Duke by 43 points at home? Is the entire starting five injured or out with COVID?
Bad offense design by coaches, poor leadership from players (especially after we were spoiled with Jose). Outrebounded, lost every single 50:50 ball. It seriously felt like players didn't even want to be on the court for a large chunk of this game, and that's not the first time this season we've seen the team just treat the game like YMCA open gym.

Duke also shot uncharacteristically well but they had clean looks from 3 all day, so that's not super surprising. The sad part is even if we conceded open 3's to deny them in the paint, we didn't deny them in the paint either (or they'd get an offensive board and score the putback). Just totally out-athleted today.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I grew up in North Carolina and clearly recall teachers rolling televisions into our classrooms on a certain Friday in March so we could watch the ACC tournament (click the link if you don't believe me). I remember watching Towe, Burleson and Thompson cut down the nets. And the four corners. And legendary coaches like Dean Smith, Jimmy V, Terry Holland and Lefty prowl the sidelines. I was a senior in high school when Tech joined the ACC. A buddy and I hung the Greensboro Daily News headline up on the bulletin board of the physics classroom. We were the only two seniors headed to Georgia Tech.

I remember Brooke Steppe and Anthony Byrd and some Yankee named Bobby Cremins being named the head coach. I was a senior when Price and Salley were freshman, and I followed the team fairly closely for many years thereafter. I still remember being shocked when I started my first job out of school and learned that the company was not going to be closed on the first Friday of the tournament.

Today, I saw a headline on ESPN that I couldn't believe. I had to double-check to see if it was true...and it is.

Why did this happen???
We have CJP as our coach...

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
We are not even very good at free throws if we ever can get there.
Yep, last time I checked our starting point guard shoots around 50% from the free throw line (probably even worse by now). One game he went 0-4 from the stripe, and I have also witnessed him airball 2 free throws if I recall correctly.

reckrider

Jolly Good Fellow
You guys are hilarious. We stunk it up. Yet all of a sudden everyone is an expert as to why we stunk it up. I don’t understand why everyone thinks their opinion is critical in these situations and that they’re providing some novel intel. This thread should be about half as long if there was a way to eliminate the idiot comments.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
You guys are hilarious. We stunk it up. Yet all of a sudden everyone is an expert as to why we stunk it up. I don’t understand why everyone thinks their opinion is critical in these situations and that they’re providing some novel intel. This thread should be about half as long if there was a way to eliminate the idiot comments.
We have bad players being coached by a bad coach and bad assistants. End of story! Happy Now!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

You're surprised a message board has people making comments?

No one's claiming to be an expert. People are just sharing thought and ideas. Kinda like how a message board is intended to operate.

No one is required to read any of it, btw.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

Why did this happen???
No credibility when GT Tech head coach walks in to recruit. No recruitment of our backyard.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

Why did this happen???
The most neutered recruiting in the ACC. Our recruiters walk in the door to a young man’s home, they are not taken seriously.It all starts with recruiting. We are unable to get any big man to look twice at the flats.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Not really. It’s a sad day. Piling on doesn’t make it better or make anyone smarter than the rest of us.
You think we have good players or coaches? Really? Provide insight if you can. Seems you only don’t like posters expressing what is clear and obvious.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I thought someone might say, "Our leading scorer was injured against Clemson and out for Duke" or "COVID" or something to suggest that this was just a rough patch. But 9 out of the last 10 games are losses.

No, it is as I feared...a systemic problem that resulted from bad coaching contracts that have left us financially strapped and unable to correct the problem.

If I were ADJB, I would call HCJP into my office and ask him to resign WITHOUT compensation due to his inability to win. Seriously, Pastner ought to be too embarrassed by his record to continue showing up SMILING at the post-game pressers.

Taking the paycheck without performing the job is a disgrace, and Pastner needs to admit his failure and move on without penalizing Tech for his results. The sooner he does this, the sooner he can begin rebuilding his career.

Shaka Smart was the next hot coach coming out of VCU only to flame out at Texas before being picked up by Marquette.

Pastner has flamed out, and he needs to find a spot where he can start over without penalizing us.

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, I thought someone might say, "Our leading scorer was injured against Clemson and out for Duke" or "COVID" or something to suggest that this was just a rough patch. But 9 out of the last 10 games are losses.

No, it is as I feared...a systemic problem that resulted from bad coaching contracts that have left us financially strapped and unable to correct the problem.

If I were ADJB, I would call HCJP into my office and ask him to resign WITHOUT compensation due to his inability to win. Seriously, Pastner ought to be too embarrassed by his record to continue showing up SMILING at the post-game pressers.

Taking the paycheck without performing the job is a disgrace, and Pastner needs to admit his failure and move on without penalizing Tech for his results. The sooner he does this, the sooner he can begin rebuilding his career.

Shaka Smart was the next hot coach coming out of VCU only to flame out at Texas before being picked up by Marquette.

Pastner has flamed out, and he needs to find a spot where he can start over without penalizing us.
Who are all these college coaches that resign on their own and forgo money owed to them.? CJP has a contract. If Tech wishes to move on then they should honor his contract, pay what they owe him and not ask him to resign on his own. That is just crazy talk.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Who are all these college coaches that resign on their own and forgo money owed to them.? CJP has a contract. If Tech wishes to move on then they should honor his contract, pay what they owe him and not ask him to resign on his own. That is just crazy talk.
Guy shows up to paint your house, detail your car, landscape your yard, whatever. And it doesn't go well. At all. Both of you know it. The honorable guy says, "You offered to pay me to do a job for you. I didn't do it to anyone's satisfaction. You don't owe me anything, and I'm sorry it didn't turn out better."

But no question. If any coach were to do the honorable thing (and resign due to poor performance), the collegiate coaching world would be in shock.

OTOH, at some point a coach ought to recognize that the longer he stays in a losing situation, the deeper the hole he will find himself in when starting over (which he must do eventually).

leatherneckjacket

Helluva Engineer
Guy shows up to paint your house, detail your car, landscape your yard, whatever. And it doesn't go well. At all. Both of you know it. The honorable guy says, "You offered to pay me to do a job for you. I didn't do it to anyone's satisfaction. You don't owe me anything, and I'm sorry it didn't turn out better."

But no question. If any coach were to do the honorable thing (and resign due to poor performance), the collegiate coaching world would be in shock.

OTOH, at some point a coach ought to recognize that the longer he stays in a losing situation, the deeper the hole he will find himself in when starting over (which he must do eventually).
I can come up with a bunch of bad analogies, but I will not, because it is irrelevant. He has a contract to coach the team. You can fire him for not performing up the standards if you wish, but you still owe him whatever it says he is owed based on the terms of the contract. No person should walk away from all the money that is owed to them just because it would make you feel better.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer

You are living in a dream world. Pastner has a contract that will be honored with the possibility of a negotiated buyout.