What the NCAA is doing about the changes in the landscape of college football

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
There’s been some mention in other threads about NCAA activity, or lack of, with respect to the changes taking place in football lately. I was curious about what might actually be happening behind the scenes so I did a bit of research.

The NCAA, despite some comments otherwise, isn’t going away anytime soon and still wants to have a say in the direction things take for D1 football in the future. People often think of the NCAA as some nebulous (and relatively powerless) third-party bureaucratic rule-making entity wanting solely to protect its revenue, when they are actually a proxy for the collective intentions of the leadership of its member schools and conferences. (I suppose both can be true, lol.) While they can be faulted for not getting ahead of the NIL issue and moving too slowly to adapt, they are still taking the changes very seriously. At its core, the NCAA understands the need for relative competitive balance in order to maintain a high level of fan engagement and thus maximize revenues. The NCAA has tended to be reactive in nature throughout its history; the current situation is no different.

If you’ve ever served on a committee whose members came from totally different organizations with no clear chain of command or consensus, you will understand why they move slowly. At any rate, they have a new committee this year called the Division I Transformation Committee. It is comprised of a cross-section of college presidents, ADs, and conference commissioners. Their regular meetings since January have produced reports which indicate the areas of focus and the direction of their thinking going forward. Some highlights and my own interpretation of the most recent report (link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ncaaorg/committees/d1/transform/May2022D1TR_Apr18May3May10Minutes.pdf ) are:
  • We have too many nitpicky rules and poor enforcement of them (duh). Let’s reduce the number of rules (some obvious low-hanging fruit here in the area of SA impermissible benefits) and enhance our ability to enforce what’s left. There is a lot of effort going into incentivizing infractions reporting and streamlining the penalties and process improvements to improve timeliness, as well as enhancing the “pain” level of penalties. There was mention of possibly tying financial penalties to the budget of the institution penalized (looking at you, Texas A&M), as well as focusing more on penalizing coaches rather than impacting SAs.
  • The word-salad topic “Impact of Financial Aid Team Limits on Competitive Equity in Equivalency Sports” explores what existing regulatory concepts the NCAA could use to enhance competitive parity given today’s NIL landscape. Scholarship limits are a variable that has traditionally been used as a guardrail against stockpiling the best players. Now that NIL has undercut that concept to some degree, what’s left in this area – well, we still have roster limits. So, this may be an area that gets tweaked. I’m not seeing how this will be very effective, though, unless it’s some draconian reduction to approach NFL-like limits. I don’t see that happening as it will be viewed by some as reducing opportunities for SAs.
  • Recruiting is an area of focus for reform (and is clearly the most contentious area as far as many coaches are concerned). Reform concepts include simplifying and possibly reducing the span of the allowed recruiting periods. Surprisingly, it mentioned (and to me, this seems anti-competitive) the complete removal of most coaching staff definitions and counting rules. I wonder if this is an acknowledgment that some programs have huge “non-coaching” staff for recruiting and it’s impossible to enforce limits? Also, while the NCAA has a stated rule against using NIL as a recruiting inducement, I didn’t see any mention of specific enforcement enhancements for this rule, which would be a key to solving this problem. Is this the elephant in the room that everyone sees, but no one wants to discuss?
  • They’ve included inputs from a committee of student-athletes. Notable is the recommendation: “The SAAC members noted that national championships and competitive excellence currently unify Division I and should continue to unify the division moving forward.”
I’ve not seen what the timeline is for the finalization of the rule changes that are in discussion, but it is notable that the corresponding overall NCAA D1 council report states that they’ve declared a moratorium on all other legislative action for this cycle due to the potential impact of the Transformation Committee’s work. It's possible we may see some new rule changes and rule eliminations this summer although some may have effective dates of 2023.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this. I needed a good laugh on a Friday night.

I get that some still believe in Santa Claus but come on. If anyone still believes this organization merits any trust then good luck with your future shock and disbelief. The “D1 Transformation Committee”? Sounds like it’s straight from an episode of the old Batman show. Is it replacing the “Cam Newton Bagman Committee” or the “Top Ten Aren’t Touched Committee” or the “SEC Summer Bash on the Lake Planning Committee”?

I‘m sure they’ll pass some things or take away some things or enhance some things and none of them will matter. Players will still go the highest bidder and coaches will still manipulate and laugh at the NCAA. I love this stuff because it’s so predictable. All the NCAA cares about are it’s perks and money. I can’t wait until the SEC and BIG cut off their affiliation. That’s the only hope for a real future moving forward.

Last edited:

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for posting this. I needed a good laugh on a Friday night.

I get that some still believe in Santa Claus but come on. If anyone still believes this organization merits any trust then good luck with your future shock and disbelief. The “D1 Transformation Committee”? Sounds like it’s straight from an episode of the old Batman show. Is it replacing the “Cam Newton Bagman Committee” or the “Top Ten Aren’t Touched Committee” or the “SEC Summer Bash on the Lake Planning Committee”?

I‘m sure they’ll pass some things or take away some things or enhance some things and none of them will matter. Players will still go the highest bidder and coaches will still manipulate and laugh at the NCAA. I love this stuff because it’s so predictable. All the NCAA cares about are it’s perks and money. I can’t wait until the SEC and BIG cut off their affiliation. That’s the only hope for a real future moving forward.
Glad I was able to provide some amusement for you! You are dating yourself with the reference to the old Batman show. :)
Seriously, while I don't disagree in general with your sentiment regarding the NCAA's lack of enforcement on cheating, I thought some folks might be interested in the potential rule changes in terms of how they could affect GT.
I would be interested to hear you expand on your thoughts expressed in your last sentence.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only hope is that everything is out in the open in whatever form it takes. The biggest problem with D1 football for 70-80 years (or whatever time line you want to use) is that it’s always had “the rules” and then you had how things were actually done. And everyone pretended how things were really done didn’t exist. And the NCAA did nothing but exacerbated the situation by letting some schools buy players (UGA with Herschel) yet slamming others (think SMU).

Keep in mind I hate cheating and the idea of NIL and I hate that pampered players won through the court system. But, it’s like the old saying - the enemy of my enemy is my friend. All this stuff that I don’t like has at long last finally brought the truth to light. That high level players have been paid and will continue to get paid. Sunshine has finally been brought to the process even though I don’t like the process. And it has exposed the NCAA as running a corrupt organization for decades. Finally, something has finally stepped up those fools couldn’t run over or pay off.

My comment about the SEC and BIG breaking away as setting the stage for a real future moving forwards is all rooted in sunshine and openness. Let them form a league where they bid and play players. It’s been happening for decades and schools like GT have been losing because we weren’t playing the same sport yet we were treated as if we were. I’ve been screaming for GT to cheat for decades because I’m tired of losing with both arms tied behind my back. Our program is dying yet no one addresses it. Those running our program never adapted to the new game. We scream and debate over old school vs.new school offensive system yet the only thing that truly matters is GT’s program is playing a completely different sport. And we were still stripped the one time we won something. Let them leave. It will be a great product and I’ll watch it just like I have my entire life knowing all those teams were cheating by NCAA rules. Then schools like GT can actually compete in a fair sport. Of course, none of our games will be televised and no one will care about us but at least it will be fair.

As a GT guy I wish back in the 70’s we would have adapted and started buying players so would have stayed relevant. With Georgia high school blowing up the past 30 years I can only imagine the players we could have come to us if we played the game like every other southern P5 schools did. But because we didn’t adapt we haven‘t been an option for the Cam Newtons, Deshaun Watsons or Trevor Lawrence’s of recent times. Heck, UGA just got two 5 star QB’s (Stockton and Vandagriff). Neither even gave us a glance and both are from this state. We created our own demise because we didn’t adapt as the sport changed. I’m more than ready to have the real programs start a new league because I love high end college football. I’ve enjoyed it my entire life even knowing they’ve all been cheating. All those who say they won’t watch semi pro college football are just being disingenuous because they’ve been watching semi pro college football their entire lives. They are now upset? It’s just silly to be upset now.