What"s this? Vad Lee was a dual threat QB all along ?

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Vad would have killed it in a Malzahn style half field 2 read run pass offense. Where its either a zone read or a one read and run offense.
Came here to post almost the same thing. I think the shotgun looks we ran in the game vs Duke would’ve suited him well. He really struggled under center and didn’t want to take much contact. I thought he would really open up Paul’s offense more….

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Came here to post almost the same thing. I think the shotgun looks we ran in the game vs Duke would’ve suited him well. He really struggled under center and didn’t want to take much contact. I thought he would really open up Paul’s offense more….

Paul tried he installed a good number of these things but communication became difficult and we became predictable. If Vad had ran the flex as well we'd have probably kept evolving it.

Johnson did tweek his offense for each QB. He simplified reads for Nesbitt often running a lot more double option off a triple look rather than true triple, and most of the passing was "read primary if not there take off". With Tevin the read tree was extremely complex, we often even changed the counting on the fly it would seem, tevin also had a longer progression in the pass tree. And if you remember tevin was actually rather good at throwing from a pistol with regards to finding the right receiver. When he called for Shaw those few times shaw had to start shaw had the same kind of approach. Vad was the furthest he got from our base offense but that was because vad even had an issue with reading midline at the line of scrimmage. JT was so damn fast but had about the same level of complexity of calls tevin did. Marshall was back to a one read and go, where often i feel the first read for him on any play action was "check the lane, then check the throw unless i tell you otherwise". Byerly was probably our best pure passer, and honestly if JT wasn't JT i still wonder what we would have done with him. Since he was more of a Tim Tebow type bruising runner.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Paul tried he installed a good number of these things but communication became difficult and we became predictable. If Vad had ran the flex as well we'd have probably kept evolving it.

Johnson did tweek his offense for each QB. He simplified reads for Nesbitt often running a lot more double option off a triple look rather than true triple, and most of the passing was "read primary if not there take off". With Tevin the read tree was extremely complex, we often even changed the counting on the fly it would seem, tevin also had a longer progression in the pass tree. And if you remember tevin was actually rather good at throwing from a pistol with regards to finding the right receiver. When he called for Shaw those few times shaw had to start shaw had the same kind of approach. Vad was the furthest he got from our base offense but that was because vad even had an issue with reading midline at the line of scrimmage. JT was so damn fast but had about the same level of complexity of calls tevin did. Marshall was back to a one read and go, where often i feel the first read for him on any play action was "check the lane, then check the throw unless i tell you otherwise". Byerly was probably our best pure passer, and honestly if JT wasn't JT i still wonder what we would have done with him. Since he was more of a Tim Tebow type bruising runner.
I also wondered how we would have turned out if Tim had been our starter. A lot like Navy when Will Worth was their QB, I would think. Rock' em - sock 'em football iow.

Here's the real puzzle, however. Why didn't Tech offer Tim out of high school? Here he is the AJC all-class high school player of the year and a great "dual threat" - in his case, a tough runner - and, as far as I know, Tim didn't get even a nibble from Tech. He ended up at MTSU, of all places, then transferred in. I wish I knew why that happened. I bet JT would have had a time getting the start if Tim had been there first.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
There’s no coulda or woulda Vlad played in a spread and WAS good. Not up for debate or discussion, he wasn’t an Option Quarterback. Not every option QB has to be a “Dual Threat” either.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I also wondered how we would have turned out if Tim had been our starter. A lot like Navy when Will Worth was their QB, I would think. Rock' em - sock 'em football iow.

Here's the real puzzle, however. Why didn't Tech offer Tim out of high school? Here he is the AJC all-class high school player of the year and a great "dual threat" - in his case, a tough runner - and, as far as I know, Tim didn't get even a nibble from Tech. He ended up at MTSU, of all places, then transferred in. I wish I knew why that happened. I bet JT would have had a time getting the start if Tim had been there first.

We did but he would have been behind vad. Tim went to middle tennessee because he could have played immediately. Vad signed pretty early so my guess is we told him we were interested then vad signed then we didn't have a spot in 2011.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
There’s no coulda or woulda Vlad played in a spread and WAS good. Not up for debate or discussion, he wasn’t an Option Quarterback. Not every option QB has to be a “Dual Threat” either.

Vad was the kind of athlete that could have made any offense work at the FCS level. When we talk about he could have played in a spread we are talkign about FBS level.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We did but he would have been behind vad. Tim went to middle tennessee because he could have played immediately. Vad signed pretty early so my guess is we told him we were interested then vad signed then we didn't have a spot in 2011.
Monster mistake. I'd have signed Tim first under any circumstances. This is one of those instances before 2014 where Paul was bending to the fans, I think.

If Dad had stayed, We would have looked like Hawaii in his junior and senior years. That might have led to a much different Tech football history.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Monster mistake. I'd have signed Tim first under any circumstances. This is one of those instances before 2014 where Paul was bending to the fans, I think.

If Dad had stayed, We would have looked like Hawaii in his junior and senior years. That might have led to a much different Tech football history.

You have to wonder if JT would have signed with shot at playing QB. Or if he ends up at AB/KR in 2014 then QB in 2015 and 2016.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Vad would have been just fine at the FBS level. David Cutcliffe talked about how he wanted Vad out of HS, but GT had a better program at the time and we did a better job of recruiting him...and last I checked, Cutcliffe knows QBs. He just didn't want to run the "triple option" in the end. That's fine. Vad left, and that gave JeT the opportunity to blossom and lead us to an ACC Championship game and Orange Bowl win.

It worked out the best for all involved. CPJ got a QB with elite speed and quickness that was fully bought into what CPJ wanted which led to one of the best seasons in GT history, and Vad moved on to put up monster numbers at JMU and got a shot to play in the NFL.