What no post on the midline?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Really happy to see CPJ run this with JT. Thought we would run it with Byerly because of his size advantage over JT, but when you have Mason clearing out his man and Griffin wiping out his guy, it's 2v1 with JT and the playside AB versus the LB. Looks like the DT was assigned the BB and CPJ saw it...Mason and Griffin did their job, not sure if Perkins whiffed on the LB but it didn't matter since dude took a false step to the BB...you give JT a step and see ya.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Really happy to see CPJ run this with JT. Thought we would run it with Byerly because of his size advantage over JT, but when you have Mason clearing out his man and Griffin wiping out his guy, it's 2v1 with JT and the playside AB versus the LB. Looks like the DT was assigned the BB and CPJ saw it...Mason and Griffin did their job, not sure if Perkins whiffed on the LB but it didn't matter since dude took a false step to the BB...you give JT a step and see ya.

Good post.

I love the right side of our OL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt was the master of the midline. Don't know how many short yardage situations Nesbitt converted with the midline...but it was a LOT.

Here's my favorite of the bunch:

Blocking scheme was different on that one.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nesbitt was the master of the midline. Don't know how many short yardage situations Nesbitt converted with the midline...but it was a LOT.

Whoops...not sure that was a midline. Could have been a called keeper to the outside with Dwyer as the lead blocker.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

Dwyer had a really nice lead block on that play.

Just rewatched it several times. The LB, #52, completely misplayed it. He was in position to fill the lane but decided to dive at JN's ankles instead and whiffed. A major collision would have ensued, not sure the outcome.

Last edited:

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I have been saying this for a while --- and I will keep saying it:

When we run mid-line, we win.

I believe it's cause and effect.

More mid-line please...

/

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
Interesting here is the "no motion" path of Perkins. On the snap he goes into his orbit path, like he's running the triple to the opposite side, before folding back as the lead blocker.

Usually you'd actually use pre-snap motion to give the defensive guy something to key on there.

But since we were already using some of the quick/no-motion, we used it here too. Made defense paranoid about getting to playside quick enough, giving us an advantage

thwgjacket

Come on... we get some midlines and we don't talk about them? Now, I am assuming this was a midline with an option to give to the BB.

I don't want to complain since you are doing a great job with the Vines but in the future, with plays involving JT can you make it longer? It's just so much fun to watch him run away from people like they're standing still.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Didn't want to start another thread, but video of CPJ talking with Jim Grobe about the X's and O's of one of our staples:

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@thwgjacket no problem... I did not take the comment the wrong way at all. Vines just cannot be longer than 6 seconds or I would show the whole play for you.