What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

Peter Patsis

Georgia Tech Fan
For me its a numbers game. In 2011 we spent 511K on recruiting, 2012 883K, 2013 1.3M and this year the budget is 1.36M. These numbers are disputable because of differing accounting on who the budget is presented to so I could not discern ESPN and AJC numbers or possibly find out an exact amount but this is rough enough.

At least the increase money has been well spent because we are seeing better recruiting classes. GT ticket sales decrease when not playing home against VT and Georgia, and have increased when we have. Any losses on our budget have been offset by an increase in ESPN renegotiated contract with the ACC and the new Playoff system, but those numbers are not based on our success on the field.

We increased spending on updated locker rooms, weight room, practice facilities, etc.

So, bottom line we have spent good money on the football program. Given that we have similar problems in the BB program that seems in stagnation how much drain are we going to have from firing's and hiring's and decreased ticket sales and stagnated programs

So, I say keep CPJ if we go 7-5 or better. Since we have spent bucks on the football program with facilities and recruiting then this year if we are 7-5 or 8-4 then had better go 8-4 or 9-3 next year. Given the increased budget on recruiting then if we do not see results max in 2 years after this season and we do not stay a 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4 program and do not win a coastal at least once and beat Georgia at least once in the next 3 years then he should go.

Man this is Tech if only my professors where this lenient with my grades.

Even Duke is slamming our program. If Duke can bring 4 stars to Durham we should. I also do not buy into the Tech is an academic school with higher standards rap because we get 4-star recruits considering our school and if they couldn't come we would not be pursuing them and they wouldn't be considering us. Winning is the bottom line and 6-6, 7-5, losing to Georgia stagnation is not going to change ticket sales and recruiting success down the line.

And what was CPJ comeback to Cutt. Well we do not pass as often but you will make the big play. Huh! I would have said how many Duke receivers are in the NFL, let me count, Megatron, D. Thomas, S. Hill and you will be next.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Firing CPJ is off the table.

As I said in August this team is a year away. We lose one OL and one DL to graduation; all others return. Starting QB in his second season beats a starting QB in his first season.

The problem is defense as it has been at GT for the last 40 plus years.

Give me majors in African American Studies,Religious Studies and Sociology and make Basic Algebra the only math requirement for graduation and I will take the job as HC.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the unfortunate happenings of this off season I think it makes the decision a little more challenging.

With that said, I want to see a minimum of 8 wins this year (including bowl). Next year is my do or die year for pj - I don't care how challenging the schedule is.

Animal02

Banned
CPJ is graduating players and has stayed very competitive in almost all games. There is far more parity in college footfall then there was 30 years ago. There are far more D1 schools, which means more scholarship available to top players......(why take a scholly at Tech and sit on the bench for 2 years when you can take on at a MTSU and possibly start your freshman year........kids want to play) I think the fan base needs to wake up and realize that Tech is never going to be competing for an NC year in and year out.

Pair last year's defense with this year's offense.....or the O from 2012 and you have a stellar season. The stars just did not align for that to happen. I would rather have the stability of a winning season almost every year and the odd chance of chasing the NC rather than a couple of 10-2/11-1 seasons followed by 4-8/3-5 seasons.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
If Paul was to get fired at some point I want Godsey. I think he would do well here.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
This isn't a fire CPJ thread or anything of that nature...Just want to discuss what you it takes for you to want to keep CPJ as coach.

Just trying to get a feel of the fanbase.
Until the recruiting limitations placed on the program by the Hill are addressed, we have little choice but to keep him. Personally, I do not think that the geeks on the Hill care about football and are in many ways antagonistic towards it. However, if certain alumni with deep pockets were to explain the facts of life to these ivory tower idiots that might change. Defensive recruiting is an area that must be addressed. How many scholarships do we have left in this class? Four, Five whatever the number ALL of them should be directed towards getting defense no matter what. Johnson whatever his faults is absolutely the master of this offense. It is astonishing what they accomplish given the personnel limitations but no matter how much offensive wizardry and fireworks you produce you cannot score every time.

worthco jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't even say keep him no matter what. I think the issue is more complicated than the choices provided. For example, has he lost the locker room is a big part of it for me.
I am pretty sure this team has more team spirit and supports one another more than any tech team in quite a while. They seem to get along with one another and play hard. Really don't think team cohesiveness is an issue here.

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
North Carolina's best defensive player was committed to Georgia Tech and then turned away at the last minute (for whatever reason) ..

It's getting more difficult to find players
BS. He was foreign born and was behind in HS credits. Has nothing to do with GT being tougher to get into than it was 10 years ago. Quit making excuses.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am already discouraged for this season, and believe it will devolve into another CPJ special of 7-5 with a bowl game loss to some non Power 5 team.

For me, the pace has to pick up considerably in the next two years. Or else.

BUT, the problems really are not with the head coach. It is with the school, its curriculum, etc. I am not close enough to tell if there is movement changing that, or if there is just some lip service. But I would not bother firing CPJ until and unless the school makes some of the basic changes needed for us to compete. And, no, I do not consider 7-5 with this schedule "competing". Competing in my book is when have legitimate chances are beating UGa and Clemson, which I don't think we have a prayer of doing this year. Competing is actually winning 2 out of 5 against those teams, not coming close.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is graduating players and has stayed very competitive in almost all games. There is far more parity in college footfall then there was 30 years ago. There are far more D1 schools, which means more scholarship available to top players......(why take a scholly at Tech and sit on the bench for 2 years when you can take on at a MTSU and possibly start your freshman year........kids want to play) I think the fan base needs to wake up and realize that Tech is never going to be competing for an NC year in and year out.

Pair last year's defense with this year's offense.....or the O from 2012 and you have a stellar season. The stars just did not align for that to happen. I would rather have the stability of a winning season almost every year and the odd chance of chasing the NC rather than a couple of 10-2/11-1 seasons followed by 4-8/3-5 seasons.

Actually, I would prefer the opposite....I don't mind the occasional down year if it leads to the occasional great year. We are caught in a "Groundhog Day" world of 7-5 EVERY year with a bowl loss (usually) t someone unimpressive.

hdgtfan

Georgia Tech Fan
This isn't a fire CPJ thread or anything of that nature...Just want to discuss what you it takes for you to want to keep CPJ as coach.

Just trying to get a feel of the fanbase.
Last two weeks pushed me over the edge

I was so excited when we got CPJ BUT I am over it now by a long shot

nodawgs

Jolly Good Fellow
Wrotto was a 2 star recruit. He supports my argument about developing guys overlooked by the factories.
http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&c=8&yr=2003
Was ranked 84 DT by Scout. That's a 3 star by today's standards. It's well known that Scout changed their star ranking criteria a few years back.

Oh, but Rivals did have him as a 3star, 44th ranked DT. Pretty strong. https://rivals.yahoo.com/georgiatec...Wrotto-9421;_ylt=AhtvuP6qBF98B0wB9Wl.YMXvr5B4