What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

What needs to happen for you to want to keep CPJ?

• Keep him no matter what

Votes: 158 61.7%
  • Fire him no matter what

Votes: 14 5.5%
  • At least 8 wins

Votes: 64 25.0%
  • Beat uga

Votes: 20 7.8%

• Total voters

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
CPJ and the staff should get an extension before signing day. To not do so would be plan stupid.

I guess there is at least one person that isn't on board though...

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
We win the next 2 games and people calling for his head hide away for a while. We win the next 3 and this whole discussion is moot. We win the next 4 and they are revealed as simpletons. We win the next 5 and they may just off themselves because they've been proven to be so wrong.

A lot of season left to play. Just win baby.

We said it many times prior to these games. We can beat and lose to every team on the schedule. Why are we so upset when the losing happens? We didn't really give this one away. I'd say we gave the Duke game away that was a tough one to swallow, but we've got a long way to go and can still have a great season.
This guys knows what he's talking about.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul is not leaving tech.

At the same time wait until after the season, or even bowl to do the contract. Paul doesn't need negotiation distractions now during the season.

There is plenty of time to get this done in the month of january and no risk. As long as Bobinski tells paul we will wait til after the season then discuss how we want to do it, paul will be just fine.

No need to be so reactive and fire fighting with this. He still has 2 years on his deal, he has done a nice job rebuilding back from 2009 in tough tech environment, but he still has alot of areas to improve like talent level and team depth...and he is finally recruiting well...

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Here's an interesting stat that came across the twitter wire yesterday: GT has had a total of nine seasons of 9 or more wins. With the win versus Clemson yesterday, CPJ has now coached 3 of them.

Granted he's coaching in an era where we play more games, but that's still a quite an accomplishment. Also consider this: If things fall our way in the next couple of weeks and we make the ACCCG, CPJ will have played in the ACCCG in 3 of his 7 seasons...almost 1 appearance every 2 seasons. Sure one of those appearance took an act of God, but we still had to win games to be in that position.

GT has never been a bad team under CPJ. You can make an argument we've been average or just OK, but if you look at CPJ's entire body of work here with respect to GT's history, it's now become one of the more impressive runs.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Here's an interesting stat that came across the twitter wire yesterday: GT has had a total of nine seasons of 9 or more wins. With the win versus Clemson yesterday, CPJ has now coached 3 of them.

Granted he's coaching in an era where we play more games, but that's still a quite an accomplishment. Also consider this: If things fall our way in the next couple of weeks and we make the ACCCG, CPJ will have played in the ACCCG in 3 of his 7 seasons...almost 1 appearance every 2 seasons. Sure one of those appearance took an act of God, but we still had to win games to be in that position.

GT has never been a bad team under CPJ. You can make an argument we've been average or just OK, but if you look at CPJ's entire body of work here with respect to GT's history, it's now become one of the more impressive runs.

That stat should say we have 9 seasons of 9 wins or more SINCE DODD. This year now makes 20 total seasons of 9+ wins in GT history.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else worried about UF going after CPJ? They seem to have the pieces in place for him to be successful. I think it would be in our best interest to get CPJ locked up for the longterm before UF or another factory goes after him, especially if we have a big game against the mutts. Just my 2 cents.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyone else worried about UF going after CPJ? They seem to have the pieces in place for him to be successful. I think it would be in our best interest to get CPJ locked up for the longterm before UF or another factory goes after him, especially if we have a big game against the mutts. Just my 2 cents.
I don't think UF will go after him. I could see them going after Clemson's DC or OC though. I see them more as a team that wants the young coach jumping up and down all over and a "standard" offense.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't think UF will go after him. I could see them going after Clemson's DC or OC though. I see them more as a team that wants the young coach jumping up and down all over and a "standard" offense.

The only things that worries me is they are probably looking for coach like Myers who runs some sort of run based spread offense which CPJ would definitely fit. With he success we are seeing this year, I don't think it is as much of a long shot. Their AD would need a splash hire, though, and I do not think many people consider CPJ to be a splash hire.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Who knows who might offer CPJ a job / big money? Lets just extend the guy and give him enough of a bump to keep him happy and here. How many coaches in the conference deserve more money than CPJ? I can see an argument for Jimbo, he won a natty and could win another this year. But who else? Dabo? Beamer? CPJ needs to be paid accordingly. Lets lock him up long term so we need not fear losing him.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I for one am not really worried too much about CPJ turning this season into a springboard.

One, he has put in 7 years here and passed on offers to leave already for more money after some early success.
Two, he has never shown a tendency to assume greener pastures elsewhere at any of his prior coaching gigs.
Three, he clearly and from the start seriously cared about running a program the "right way" here at Tech. He improved APR, graduations, pushes internships, hired "Tech men" as grad assistants and now the D coach, maintains discipline consistently even at the risk of team depth and possible (probable) expectation of losses going into a season like this one where he was reasonably seen to be on the "hot seat."
Four, Bobinski came in and immediately gave him more recruiting personnel.
Five, he can see that the team is becoming one that can be a consistent winner and give consistent winning-type effort.
Six, he loves this team and developing this offense under Thomas and clearly shows improved class strength in recruiting going forward.
Seven, the ACC is setting up as a good enough conference to get a winning team respected and its champion a decent shot at the 4 team playoff. But it also is a conference where he should be able to see himself as having an excellent chance at the program he is at now, which is fully established as "his" program, to win ACC championships.
Eight, at his age and the specific stage of development he now has the program he should see the next 4-5 years as possibly his best shot to get the BCS MNC versus taking over a struggling one and starting over relatively from scratch.

So I suggest Bobinski communicating to him that he wants to have a sit down and review of his contract and the program after the ACC championship game before the bowl game. Then you figure out a way to give him a respectful raise/contract (but no rollover Hewitt nonsense), find out what he wants to see to further the program and work out finances in those areas as well. For example, it may mean as much or more to CPJ at this point in his career and personal finances (always heard he has been a shrewd investor anyway so has no financial worries) if Bobinski finds a way to get CPJ's coaching staff raises, and even better paid or more help in the recruiting office. That could do more to keep CPJ satisfied running the Tech program than just throwing a truckload of cash or some ridiculously sweet contract extension at him. Showing overall commitment to bettering the program and rewarding those CPJ hires and relies upon has real value as well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Florida will want to go after a guy that will put the ball in the air like Meyer and Spurrier. They're going to want a "sexy" offense...and let's be honest, CPJ's offense isn't considered "sexy".

One program that could take a look at CPJ is Michigan. They love a good run game up there in that cold weather. Also consider, there's going to be a lot of movement this offseason with guys being fired, moving to other places, etc.

People who don't think CPJ moving on isn't a real possibility need to rethink the business of this sport, and the fact that this is probably the longest CPJ has stayed anywhere. CPJ isn't a dumb guy and he's repped by one of the best agents in the business...he understands the "sell high" nature of coaching, and how to use leverage. I don't think it's about money for CPJ, but I do think it's about putting himself in a better position to win a national championship. If he can go to a school that does that AND make more money? Kinda hard to say no to that. Let's be honest, given our limitations (comparatively speaking) against other P5 schools, if the right situation comes along...let's just say CPJ may decide he's had enough of fighting uphill and wants to go somewhere he can fight on level playing field for once.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I can only see Nebraska as being a serious contender to pull CPJ away from GT.
Michigan ole timers will only be happy with "pro style" offenses..
Florida will rip Mullens from Miss St.