What music are you listening to?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What's a cover that's better than the original? For me Whitney Houston's cover of Dolly Parton's "I will alway love you" is still the gold standard, but I'll put this one out there...never been a Keith Urban fan, but his cover of this Bee Gees song and the way he uses the guitar is phenomenal:

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
It is rumored that Leonard Cohen wrote 180 verses to this song, but Jeff Buckley made it a big deal for other artists.

What a talent Buckley was… I’d give almost anything to sing like that.

Some new (new to you; they’ve been around) possible options to change things up:

Sigur Ros (Saeglopur has been one of their more well known tunes for quite some time; I believe it was on the Aquaman soundtrack; often used in film; Icelandic band)

Mogwai (also used in film/TV; Scottish band I believe; “Autorock” was, in my opinion, effectively used in Miami Vice; Friend of the Night, Relative Hysteria, and I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead are just a few I enjoy. They are generally instrumental only and can get a little heavy)

Patrick Watson (…also used in film. See a pattern? Pianist/songwriter/composer. Voice has a unique texture and has a dreamy piano style while maintaining modern, western expectations despite a classical skillset. You’ve probably heard “To Build a Home” on a commercial or something and “Lighthouse” somewhere else.)

The Cinematic Orchestra (soundtrack-like music with jazz elements — fantastic drummer)

Jose Gonzalez (If you enjoy more calm and/or rhythmic acoustic guitar, this is one I enjoy.. I believe he wrote a lot of the Life of Walter Mitty soundtrack — not quite as acoustic as his general work; he had a quasi-“hit” in his band Junip with “Line of Fire… I believe it played on a Breaking Bad trailer or something)

“Talking ‘bout my generation”…Been there and done that but still…

Radiohead (I understand the distant perception that they are depressing, etc., but they are songwriting gurus that have been seemingly unmatched in their generation for consistently evolving and delivering — magnificent and robust body of work) and Tool (I really enjoy Descending, Invincible, and Pneuma off their most recent album — a few years old — after a 13 (?) year layoff.)

Some considerably older musicians/bands that may have a place if you enjoy fusion, jazz, more notes per measure…

Mahavishnu Orchestra (Eternity’s Breath Parts 1 & 2 …talk about leaning into a jam — sheesh Billy Cobham and John M., we get it, you’re good.)
King Crimson (some of them are coming to Atlanta with Danny Carey from Tool as their drummer — woah)
Yes
Weather Report (always up for a foot-tapping Black Market)
Jaco Pastorius
Jeff Beck (Wired and Blow by Blow albums)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
What a talent Buckley was… I’d give almost anything to sing like that.

Some new (new to you; they’ve been around) possible options to change things up:

Sigur Ros (Saeglopur has been one of their more well known tunes for quite some time; I believe it was on the Aquaman soundtrack; often used in film; Icelandic band)

Mogwai (also used in film/TV; Scottish band I believe; “Autorock” was, in my opinion, effectively used in Miami Vice; Friend of the Night, Relative Hysteria, and I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead are just a few I enjoy. They are generally instrumental only and can get a little heavy)

Patrick Watson (…also used in film. See a pattern? Pianist/songwriter/composer. Voice has a unique texture and has a dreamy piano style while maintaining modern, western expectations despite a classical skillset. You’ve probably heard “To Build a Home” on a commercial or something and “Lighthouse” somewhere else.)

The Cinematic Orchestra (soundtrack-like music with jazz elements — fantastic drummer)

Jose Gonzalez (If you enjoy more calm and/or rhythmic acoustic guitar, this is one I enjoy.. I believe he wrote a lot of the Life of Walter Mitty soundtrack — not quite as acoustic as his general work; he had a quasi-“hit” in his band Junip with “Line of Fire… I believe it played on a Breaking Bad trailer or something)

“Talking ‘bout my generation”…Been there and done that but still…

Radiohead (I understand the distant perception that they are depressing, etc., but they are songwriting gurus that have been seemingly unmatched in their generation for consistently evolving and delivering — magnificent and robust body of work) and Tool (I really enjoy Descending, Invincible, and Pneuma off their most recent album — a few years old — after a 13 (?) year layoff.)

Some considerably older musicians/bands that may have a place if you enjoy fusion, jazz, more notes per measure…

Mahavishnu Orchestra (Eternity’s Breath Parts 1 & 2 …talk about leaning into a jam — sheesh Billy Cobham and John M., we get it, you’re good.)
King Crimson (some of them are coming to Atlanta with Danny Carey from Tool as their drummer — woah)
Yes
Weather Report (always up for a foot-tapping Black Market)
Jaco Pastorius
Jeff Beck (Wired and Blow by Blow albums)
I always wanted to like Mahavishnu Orchestra, even have their most famous album, but I find myself getting board with them whenever I listen. Love the talent but there is something soulless about their playing for me.

Who’s in King Crimson now? I loved the group before they went through so many lineup changes.

I will definitely check out some of your other recommendations that I was not familiar with.

There are a lot of jazz / electronic / ambient type groups were I really love one or two songs off an album. So I have to put together playlists where I’ve cherry picked. Examples of such groups would include..

Emancipator
Plaid
Higher Intelligence Agency
Icebreaker
Cornelius
Lemon Jelly
Talk Talk
Zero 7
Underworld
Air

Keep in mind if you check any of these out that you may have to listen to several albums before you find one song you like. It’s a strange process for me to find the sweet spot that these groups occasionally hit on.

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I always wanted to like Mahavishnu Orchestra, even have their most famous album, but I find myself getting board with them whenever I listen. Love the talent but there is something soulless about their playing for me.

Who’s in King Crimson now? I loved the group before they went through so many lineup changes.

I will definitely check out some of your other recommendations that I was not familiar with.

There are a lot of jazz / electronic / ambient type groups were I really love one or two songs off an album. So I have to put together playlists where I’ve cherry picked. Examples of such groups would include..

Emancipator
Plaid
Higher Intelligence Agency
Icebreaker
Cornelius
Lemon Jelly
Talk Talk
Zero 7
Underworld
Air

Keep in mind if you check any of these out that you may have to listen to several albums before you find one song you like. It’s a strange process for me to find the sweet spot that these groups occasionally hit on.
How could I forget Air? Moon Fever makes me feel like I’m in a film purposefully driving in the night… I listen to Air on a regular basis.

I’ve listened to both Lemon Jelly (It’s been a minute) and Zero 7. If I’ve heard the others, I wasn’t aware.

I completely understand your Mahavishnu comment. As someone that played the drums a bit in high school and college, I was mesmerized by the power of the band. I don’t listen to them much anymore (really any of that older material I listed)

The King Crimson-based project is Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, and Danny Carey.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
How could I forget Air? Moon Fever makes me feel like I’m in a film purposefully driving in the night… I listen to Air on a regular basis.

I’ve listened to both Lemon Jelly (It’s been a minute) and Zero 7. If I’ve heard the others, I wasn’t aware.

I completely understand your Mahavishnu comment. As someone that played the drums a bit in high school and college, I was mesmerized by the power of the band. I don’t listen to them much anymore (really any of that older material I listed)

The King Crimson-based project is Adrian Belew, Tony Levin, Steve Vai, and Danny Carey.
I heard Billy Cobham’s band in college. Seemed like the entire stage was covered in percussion equipment. Not sure it was great music but it was quite stimulating and arousing to hear that much thunder for an entire concert. He did a drum solo at one point that was probably 30 minutes long and was spell binding. But I was a kid 😊

minorityoption

Georgia Tech Fan
Go
I heard Billy Cobham’s band in college. Seemed like the entire stage was covered in percussion equipment. Not sure it was great music but it was quite stimulating and arousing to hear that much thunder for an entire concert. He did a drum solo at one point that was probably 30 minutes long and was spell binding. But I was a kid 😊
Goodness… I think Billy Bob was the closest we had to Billy Cobham visit Statesboro.