What is your definition of success for the next 3 years?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
  1. NCAA tournament the 2nd year.
  2. Deeper run the 3rd year.
  3. Maintain the high APR.
  4. Continue what CBG did to get former players involved.
  5. Fill McCamish every game, even when we lose, because we're exciting and fun to watch.
Hope not that well he will end up with the Hewitt repeat contract;)

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Wow some of y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. We have played in the postseason twice in the last nine seasons (once in the NCAA and once in the NIT). We have won 20 games the same number of times in the last 9 seasons and those two are the only seasons with more than 16 wins. We have only been above .500 in three of the last 9 seasons. Now we expect Pastner to come in with the roster we have coming back and get us to .500 in year one and in the Tourney by year three or he will be a disappointment?

We need to get realistic here. I think that GT is a sleeping giant with a lot of positives...Great City, Great Recruiting Bed, Great Facilities. I think a more realistic set of accomplishments would be...
Year 1... just hold on to what we have and show some improvement throughout the season. Be competitive late in the year. 10 wins would be reasonable.
Year 2... .500, good recruiting, marked improvement
Year 3... NIT bid
Year 4... 20+ wins, NCAA bubble team (this will be his first recruiting classes Junior year). First real opportunity to have upperclassmen that aren't Gregory guys or Transfers.

Anything better than the above with were we are as a program would be amazing.
This might be the progression with Drew, McCall, or some of the other guys previously discussed. If Pastner will be successful here, he will need more early momentum than this. I think we'll have a decent idea how things will go by the end of the second year (maybe sooner). I want to see the Big Dance by year 3.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Wow some of y'all are setting yourselves up for disappointment. We have played in the postseason twice in the last nine seasons (once in the NCAA and once in the NIT). We have won 20 games the same number of times in the last 9 seasons and those two are the only seasons with more than 16 wins. We have only been above .500 in three of the last 9 seasons. Now we expect Pastner to come in with the roster we have coming back and get us to .500 in year one and in the Tourney by year three or he will be a disappointment?

We need to get realistic here. I think that GT is a sleeping giant with a lot of positives...Great City, Great Recruiting Bed, Great Facilities. I think a more realistic set of accomplishments would be...
Year 1... just hold on to what we have and show some improvement throughout the season. Be competitive late in the year. 10 wins would be reasonable.
Year 3... NIT bid
Year 4... 20+ wins, NCAA bubble team (this will be his first recruiting classes Junior year). First real opportunity to have upperclassmen that aren't Gregory guys or Transfers.

I agree with every word of this.

Next years team does not have even one consistent scorer returning. None! Cannot depend on true freshmen to be that consistent scorer (if he can hold all three).
A graduate transfer coming in to play that can score (Adam Smith) would help. And next year we do not have a PG worth suiting up.
Is there a hot shooting PG in the ranks of graduate transfers available?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Realistic
1. GT is gonna be awful unless Moore and a couple of transfers come in.
2. Possible NIT birth
3. Bubble Team
4. NCAA tournament birth

His recruits should be juniors and the sophomores should be very talented. He has to hire good/great X & O assistants.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Year 3... NIT bid

If he is as great of a recruiter as we are being led to believe then it shouldn't take 5 years to make the NCAA tournament. Paul Hewitt took an 11 win team to the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in one year on the backs of mostly Freshmen and Sophomores. A few really good recruits can turn things around fast.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
This isn't a decimated football roster. You need 2-3 really good players. Recruit well and we can be back quickly. If he is as good at recruiting as some think/hope then I think getting into the NCAA in year 3 is very reasonable.

joehamiltonfan14

Jolly Good Fellow
Tourney by year 3 no doubt. Willing to give him a past for the first 2 years.

Want to see:
A team that is fun to watch by year 2
A good haul in the 2017 class
No academic/NCAA issues (he coached under Cal so that leaves me skeptical here)
NCAAT by year 3

alagold

Helluva Engineer

Year 3... NIT bid

The next 2 yrs are going to be rough.If we make a deep NIT run by 4 th yr I'd be happy.This is no slam dunk.He has not done THAT well at Memphis,much less in ACC.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Tourney by year 3 no doubt. Willing to give him a past for the first 2 years.

Want to see:
A team that is fun to watch by year 2
A good haul in the 2017 class
No academic/NCAA issues (he coached under Cal so that leaves me skeptical here)
NCAAT by year 3

I think that is a reasonable list. Anything year one is a huge upside as we have a roster more suited to the Sunbelt than the ACC at this point. But some hard work on the roster should get us at least to the bubble by year 3. If he recruits Atlanta hard that is not unreasonable. The recruits will be expecting that as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Simple for me:
Have a better ACC record than Gregory (.307) and Hewitt (.409), preferably over .500.

Do that and everything else is probably going all right.

Each year or by year 3 for year 3 or cumulative by year 3?

Vespidie

Jolly Good Fellow
Energize the fan base and make a ticket at McCamish hard to come by. If these become the norm, then all will be well with GT basketball.

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
2016/2017: win the gimme games against weaker competition. See a boost in recruiting interest, especially in Atlanta.

2017/2018: win the majority of non-conference games especially at home. No blowout losses. Make teams fight. Land a couple of nice recruits that excites the fan base.

2018/2019: extremely tough at home. Win virtually all non-conference match ups against unranked teams. Winning record at home even by just a game in conference and show up on the road. Play and be competitive in NIT.

2019-2020: recruiting breaks into the top 25 in the country, top 15 with more than three commits. Team ranked for portion of the season. Bubble NCAA team and/or top NIT team with home court advantage throughout.

2020/2021: NCAA Tournament #10 seed or higher. Win first round game.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
You can go from lousy to good in a pretty short time period in basketball. FOUR times Hewitt took teams that finished a game over .500 or worse the previous year to the NCAA tournament -- once all the way the finals. I agree with others that we should have a tournament appearance by year 3 (year 4 at the latest). That doesn't mean, however, that he needs to make the tourney every year, as the structure of college basketball makes that difficult if you're relying at all on one-and-dones...unless you're one of a handful of elite programs.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
This isn't a decimated football roster. You need 2-3 really good players. Recruit well and we can be back quickly. If he is as good at recruiting as some think/hope then I think getting into the NCAA in year 3 is very reasonable.

The difference is what CAN be done and what is reasonable to expect to be done. Making the NCAAT in year 3 would no doubt be success. However I think there are very likely scenarios that happen where we miss the NCAAT and yet still consider the first 3 years successful.