What is your current opinion of CPJ?

What describes your current opinion of CPJ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Thanks man.
I don't mean to sound like jerk but in the short time I have been here it seems like a lot of excuse making for losing. Maybe I'm wrong or have on crimson glasses (pun intended). I think Tech could/should be better. I don't have the answer but I know other major programs wouldn't be satisfied with repeated 7-8 win seasons. just my .02.
None of us are happy with 7-8 wins. I think most coaches place their programs within a range of possible wins / losses depending on a few breaks during the year. Bama us fortunate right now to have a staff that probably places them between 9-13 wins any year. I think CPJ places Tech in the 6-10 range any given year with an outside shot at a really spectacular season.

In short I think CPJ is an excellent coach capable of taking us to the promised land.
2009 is history...so is 2013. It is part if his body of work though. Do you judge the Bear on only the last season he coached before retiring? Or do you judge his complete body of work.
But to reiterate, I'm not happy with 7-8 wins. I'd grade CPJ with a B minus for his tenure. But I really like where we stand with our current staff. I expect we will do better than that this year. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 9. Welcome to the board Rock. Looking forward to more of your posts.

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Simply put, CPJ's ceiling is much higher. I believe it is much higher than his predecessors. He has shown it in the previous stops and we saw a glimpse of it his first few years. I will be honest and say he was blessed those players fell into his lap. GT is not a tough place for the students or the football coaches. You do not have the funding Alabama has or the fan support uga has (albeit some of it is our own doing and can be fixed with winning). With the little he has, I think CPJ is learning the ropes in recruiting at this school and whichever new coach that comes in will have to do the same. Though we have yet to see the 2014 class play, if he can put up consistent classes similar to that one, GT will have the pieces in place for a nice future. I do not think you can expect a factory coach to come in and light it up with the restrictions placed on them. All I am saying is give CPJ a little more time and exercise some more patience, and I think we will see him reach his ceiling.

I certainly do not think 7-8 win seasons are good enough but for some reason I have this optimism that he can turn it around. He is a smart guy and been around long enough to know what needs to be done.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
10311209_754505417913781_1836320837_n.jpg

Cool.. they usually give out escalades

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Also, no offense dude, but you really sound like a stereotype. Why **** on another team's accomplishments while pumping your own chest as if the playing field is level? I mean we get it. Alabama's really good and you happen to be an Alabama fan. This is why people hate SEC fans. They're insufferable.

You guys brought up Bama, not me.
No one is crapping on GT accomplishments. Maybe I just have a jaded view (which I said from the start) about accomplishments.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The Nick Saban coached Alabama Crimson Tide did not run up the score 52-0 against the Arkansas Razorbacks in 2013. That is not his style.

Same thing the other guy said...

2nd team kept scoring, you tell guys not to play?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You guys brought up Bama, not me.
No one is crapping on GT accomplishments. Maybe I just have a jaded view (which I said from the start) about accomplishments.
You have to understand most of us abhor the factory mentality and what it has done to college football as well as what it has done to the stature of teams that reject it (meaning us). Many of us see Bammer as the standard bearer for this MO.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You have to understand most of us abhor the factory mentality and what it has done to college football as well as what it has done to the stature of teams that reject it (meaning us). Many of us see Bammer as the standard bearer for this MO.

I appreciate that. That's why I didn't come in here spewing that from the start.
I only mentioned being a Bama fan and someone ran with it, it wasn't me.

I'll say it again. Do I want CPJ and the TO succeed? Yes, but I don't think it/he can.

The rumors continue of a "change in governance" in the NCAA, with the suggestion that the power schools and the big money take a stronger role. I guess since we are in one of the five power conferences, we will be in with all the factory programs. Realistically Georgia Tech is as different from Alabama or Oklahoma as Florida Atlantic is from us, don't you think? Will we, as a program and as a fanbase, be comfortable in a group where all the rules and regulations going forward will be created by the powerful big factory programs? We are in between a rock and hard place--we don't want to become like Clemson or FSU, but we don't want to be left behind with Rice and Duke. What to do, what to do?

You keep doing things "the right way" and hope the stars align like in '91. However, I believe the rules, APR, make it even harder to compete now.
The APR is better than no APR, but it is a bit of a charade. I may not be understanding it fully, but what I think I understand is Georgia Tech's APR is measured against Georgia Tech's requirements for graduation, while Okie State's APR is measured against their in-house requirements of Rodeo Clown Apparel and Mating Habits of the Prairie Dog.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Troll your boat.

lol... so your guy justifies 2nd team but I can't? actually Bama's white boy 5th string RB was running the ball if we want to get technical.

let me rephrase.
Bama doesn't run up the score with the 1st team..

I saw Winston in the 4th qtr throwing TD up 56-0. that's running up the score.

lol... so your guy justifies 2nd team but I can't? actually Bama's white boy 5th string RB was running the ball if we want to get technical.

let me rephrase.

We beat Syracuse 56-0, but I think we played a lot of guys.

DCSS

Ramblin' Wreck

let me rephrase.

Ok. I don't know why Winston was throwing the ball in the 4th qtr up by that much. Maybe FSU was padding his stats for the Heisman?

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ok. I don't know why Winston was throwing the ball in the 4th qtr up by that much. Maybe FSU was padding his stats for the Heisman?
Perhaps because he was a freshman and Jimbo wanted to have something on film to educate Winston. I don't know, but it doesn't look good.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
None of us are happy with 7-8 wins. I think most coaches place their programs within a range of possible wins / losses depending on a few breaks during the year. Bama us fortunate right now to have a staff that probably places them between 9-13 wins any year. I think CPJ places Tech in the 6-10 range any given year with an outside shot at a really spectacular season.

In short I think CPJ is an excellent coach capable of taking us to the promised land.
2009 is history...so is 2013. It is part if his body of work though. Do you judge the Bear on only the last season he coached before retiring? Or do you judge his complete body of work.
But to reiterate, I'm not happy with 7-8 wins. I'd grade CPJ with a B minus for his tenure. But I really like where we stand with our current staff. I expect we will do better than that this year. If I had to put a number on it I'd say 9. Welcome to the board Rock. Looking forward to more of your posts.
I think this is very well stated. Most anybody would acknowledge that the last few seasons we have been way closer to 10 wins than we were to 4 the way the games played out. In fact, I would say that the worst record we could have produced were probably about 6 wins. I think the 6-10 win window is a pretty good expression of where we are as a program right now. A better bounce here, a better break there, better finishes and execution all could have helped immensely. UTAH 3 years ago, Miami 2 Years ago, UVA 3 years ago, VT 3 years running, UGA last year are all great examples of wins that got away. What games did we pull out of the fire that realistically could have been losses, UNC 13? None that really come to mind. Maybe I have selective memory but I am pretty sure this is an accurate depiction of events. We just happen to be finishing near the bottom of our window the last few seasons. That alone is a troubling stat, but it is a very different situation than our window being 3-7 and getting 7. Right now GT football is like the golfer who goes out and shoots 73 while hitting 90% of the greens in regulation. 73 is probably the worst score he / she could shoot under the circumstances. Hopefully we make some putts this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think this is very well stated. Most anybody would acknowledge that the last few seasons we have been way closer to 10 wins than we were to 4 the way the games played out. In fact, I would say that the worst record we could have produced were probably about 6 wins. I think the 6-10 win window is a pretty good expression of where we are as a program right now. A better bounce here, a better break there, better finishes and execution all could have helped immensely. UTAH 3 years ago, Miami 2 Years ago, UVA 3 years ago, VT 3 years running, UGA last year are all great examples of wins that got away. What games did we pull out of the fire that realistically could have been losses, UNC 13? None that really come to mind. Maybe I have selective memory but I am pretty sure this is an accurate depiction of events. We just happen to be finishing near the bottom of our window the last few seasons. That alone is a troubling stat, but it is a very different situation than our window being 3-7 and getting 7. Right now GT football is like the golfer who goes out and shoots 73 while hitting 90% of the greens in regulation. 73 is probably the worst score he / she could shoot under the circumstances. Hopefully we make some putts this year.

This is exactly why I like the power rankings so much. They also take into account the strength of the other team, the location and the final score. Overall, we played a bit better as a team last year but the W/L didn't really make me feel like we had gotten better.

We were fortunate to beat UNC last year. They got up two scores but then the monsoon came and helped us out. But UGA was a game we should have won once we got the massive lead. And VT was a self inflicted wound. Even as bad as we played in that game, we were in it to the end.